Drupal Basics & Beyond
Welcome to the Drupal Sandbox!
The links below will help you learn how to work with ALA's Drupal 7 content management system. Investigate the resources in the left column, then complete the appropriate tasks in the right column, below, to have your permissions set.
How-to Videos & Docs
Learn the Basics
Intermediate & Advanced Tasks
Awards and Grants
(Sandbox credentials can't be used here.)
Sandbox Tasks: Practice/Get Rights
Special Note: On this site, Content Editor Basic and Intermediate have Menu rights. This is atypical for this role. Menu editing comes later as you move on to Advanced training, so please do not add items to the menu during your practice.
Login as CEI or CEA with Sandbox credentials
Complete the tasks on Sandbox Situation A.
- Create a Committee page. Save the committee page with the committee code and your name, like this, name_committeecode. If you don't know the committee code, check with your staff liaison. The committee code is required so that the automatic roster fill and update feature, and the ALA Connect public posts features will work.
- Add a new Navpod on the page with your profile on it. Edit the URL path so the navpod displays on your profile page and your committee page.
- Submit your committee page and profile page URLs to Pam Akins, email@example.com.
Practice these additional tasks if you are a member volunteer who will be a site admin for a Round Table site or a staff member who has responsibilities for a division site or a portion of ala.org.As you complete the tasks below, remember to add metadata.
- Add a new Feature Slide on the feature slide sandbox page.
- Add at least one Front Page Tab on that page. You will need a Twitter hashtag, RSS feed or a combination of ALA taxonomy tags to use.
- Make an Online Learning page. Do NOT add the taxonomy terms, as doing so would cause your test page to pull to ala.org/onlinelearning. Instead, make a list of the Taxonomies and the Terms you would have selected from them so that your page would display both topically and under the appropriate unit display in ala.org/onlinelearning and add that information to your Online Learning page for Pam Akins to evaluate and prvide you with feedback.
- Add your profile page, committee page and online learning page in the Sandbox menu (be careful to choose to edit the Sandbox menu and not any other menu). Make the title for the menu item Yourlastname Menu Test, and for the committee page Yourlastname Committee Menu Test. Add your offerings alphabetically, If you don't get them in the right place the first time, adjust until you have them where they should be.
- Submit your page URLs to Pam Akins, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let Pam know if you have a need to create Listing Pages or Webforms, as the procedures for those have not yet been documented.
How to Login to the Sandbox
- Make a note of the Sandbox login and password information.
- Click the Logout link at the top right of the window. Close your browser to log out of your member/staff credentials completely.
- Come back to ala.org/support in a new browser. Login with the appropriate Sandbox role/permissions below, based on what you will need to do on your site.
- Follow the directions on the practice exercise page.
- When you have completed your exercises, email Pam Akins, email@example.com so that she can confirm your capability and grant editor access to the pages you will edit on ala.org.