International Responsibilities Task Force
Advocates socially responsible positions on issues of international library concern.
Coordinator: LaJuan Pringle
Co-coordinator: Al Kagan
A Coordinator and Secretary will be elected for two-years terms by a method agreeable to IRTF members. Other officers or liaisons may be elected if the need arises. The Coordinator or Secretary will make regular reports to be published in the SRRT Newsletter.
Statement of Purpose
The SRRT International Responsibilities Task Force provides a forum for discussion and work on the international dimensions of SRRT issues, including organizational alliances. As globalization proceeds, it is imperative that SRRT understand its mission in the international context, and work with sister organizations in other countries to address common concerns and problems.
Two kinds of activities are addressed: foreign policy and international relations:
- Foreign policy includes bilateral and multilateral relations with governments, corporations, and organizations in various countries. Particular attention is given to current situations where United States policy is likely to have a major impact.
- International relations includes alliances and relationships with library and related organizations throughout the world. Issues addressed include foreign policy as well as issues that may be seen as local but similar in many countries.
- To provide information and advocate socially responsible positions on issues of international concern within SRRT, ALA, and the international library arena through programs, resolutions, and reports.
- To change ALA policies to reflect socially responsible positions, make such policies known within ALA and internationally, and implement these policies.
- To promote international human rights, including implementation of Article 19 on freedom of expression, of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- To serve as liaison with other progressive library and related organizations worldwide, and promote cooperative endeavors.