Articles & Books
- Bishop, Bradley Wade and Matt Torrence. “Virtual Reference Services: Consortium versus Stand-Alone.” College & Undergraduate Libraries 13, no. 4 (2007): 117-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J106v13n04_08
- Duncan, Vicky and Angie Gerrard. "All Together Now! Integrating Virtual Reference in the Academic Library." Reference & User Services Quarterly 50, no. 3 (2011): 280-292.
- Kern, M. Kathleen. Virtual Reference Best Practices : Tailoring Services to Your Library. Chicago: American Library Association, 2009.
- Lankes, R. David, Marilyn Domas White, Eileen G. Abels, and Saira N. Haque. Virtual Reference Desk: Creating a Reference Future. The Virtual Reference Desk Series. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2006.
- Nicol, Erica Carlson and Linda Crook. "Now it's Necessary: Virtual Reference Services at Washington State University, Pullman." The Journal of Academic Librarianship 39, no. 2 (2013): 161-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2012.09.017
- Powers, Amanda Clay, David Nolen, Li Zhang, Yue Xu, and Gail Peyton. "Moving from the Consortium to the Reference Desk: Keeping Chat and Improving Reference at the MSU Libraries." Internet Reference Services Quarterly 15, no. 3 (2010): 169-188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10875301.2010.500939
Guidelines & Policies
- RUSA Guidelines for Implementing and Maintaining Virtual Reference Services – has numerous parts on staffing, including a personnel section
- QuestionPoint Wiki - includes Policies and Procedures
- IFLA Digital Reference Guidelines
- Weismantel, Arlene and Christine Tobias. Exploring Service Quality in Cooperative Reference. Video, 6:47. 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrdbOe2du10
In a video sponsored by ALA RUSA’s Cooperative Reference Services Committee, Weismantel and Tobias discuss Michigan State University Libraries’ two cooperative services in which they participate: Research Help Now! and OCLC 24/7 Academic Cooperative. They speak of the benefits of cooperative reference, service quality, QuestionPoint’s attempts at familiarizing local librarians with member libraries, staffing options, training, and helpful resources.