ALA Midwinter 2005
RUSA/MOUSS Research and Statistics Committee
Meeting of Saturday January 15, 2005 9:30-11:00am
Boston, Westin Hotel
1. Welcome & Introductions.
- Committee members were introduced.
- The following members were present: Joan Stein, Kathy Crowe, Janelle Hedstrom, Carolyn Radcliff, Rebecca Jackson, JoAnn Jacoby, Holly McCullough (new member), Melissa Gross, Sarah Hammill
2. Review and Approval of the Agenda.
- The agenda was approved.
3. Approval of the Minutes from ALA Annual 2004.
- The meeting minutes were approved (Saturday and Sunday minutes were combined).
4. Review submissions and choose papers for the Reference Research Forum.
- Many of the proposals were eliminated through e-mail prior to meeting. After a lengthy discussion, 4 proposals were chosen (1 as an alternate). The proposals selected were:
- Proposal 5 - Assessment of Student Learning from Reference Service
- Proposal 10 - Creating the Infrastructure to Connect Digital Reference Services and Researchers: The Digital Reference Electronic Warehouse (DREW) Project
- Proposal 12 – CSI Cyperspace: A Comparative Case Study Investigation of the untimely Demise of Six Virtual Reference Services
- Proposal 20 – What’s coming off the Shelves? An Analysis of Reference Sources – ALTERNATE
- Joan will contact the authors.
5. Committee Membership
- Membership terms are ending for Mary Casserly, Joan Stein, Melissa Gross, Kathryn Crowe, and Rebecca Jackson.
- The chair will be found by David Tyckoson.
- Recruit interested colleagues.
6. Preparation for Forum at Annual.
- Remember the forum at ALA Annual will be on Saturday from 1:30 – 3:30.
- The Forum now has a permanent slot in RUSA so we won’t need to find a partner for the forum in the future.
- Joan will do the flyer.
7. Reference Research Review
- Mary Casserly has put together the handout in the past. If she doesn’t do it this time, Rebecca Jackson will.
- Titles will be listed first. The length will not be more than a front and back of one page.
- Members will do the journals they have been assigned to in the past. Joan will e-mail a reminder.
- Abstracts should include credentials of the author and use of the information to reference practitioners.
8. Web sites
- March 1st is the deadline for review of sites.
- JoAnn will put the finished product online.
- Annotations should include author’s credentials and a succinct statement of what the site is about. 2-5 sentences.
- Many volunteered to look at the final product.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:0am.
Second Meeting was canceled.
Sarah J. Hammill