ALA Annual 2005
RUSA/MOUSS Research and Statistics Committee
Meeting of Saturday June 25, 2005 9:00-11:00am
Chicago, Holiday Inn City Center, Superior Room
1. Welcome & Introductions
- The following members were present: Carolyn Radcliff, Holly McCullough, Mary Casserly, Janelle Hedstrom, Rebecca Jackson, John S. Spencer, Kathy Crowe, Joan Stein, and Sarah Hammill.
2. Review and Approval of the Agenda
- Agenda was approved.
3. Approval of the Minutes from ALA Midwinter 2005
- The meeting minutes were approved with corrections.
4. Discussion preparation for the Reference Research Forum.
- Janelle, Joan, and Sarah volunteered to arrived early and help set-up for the forum.
5. Committee Membership
- The following membership terms are ending: Mary Casserly, Joan Stein, Melissa Gross, Rebecca Jackson, and Kathryn Crowe.
- Joan thanked everyone for their service.
- We all agreed that this was one of the best committees to belong to.
- Sarah was introduced as committee chair.
6. Discussion of the Web Page Resources
- A plan and timeline was developed for the URL’s. Carolyn agreed to coordinate. All groups should e-mail Carolyn their list of URL’s and annotations by August 1, 2005. Carolyn will put the sections together and e-mail the committee for feedback.
- Each section should include an introduction that addresses what it is and why it is useful. It should be 3-5 sentences long. Each section should include and e-mail link to the persons responsible for the section asking for suggestions to add.
- Changed the section labeled Statistical Research to Quantitative Research to go with the Qualitative Research section. The five sections are: Doing Quantitative Research, Doing Qualitative Research, Project Assessment & Evaluation, Data Source, and Data Gathering and Evaluation. Discussed a section on Metasites.
- Once the site is up, we need to let people know. Committee will send an e-mail to the RUSA listserv.
- Discussed the need for a link checker or at least someone to manually check the URL’s on a regular basis. At midwinter categories will be reassigned and those responsible for each category will check for dead links.
- Discussion ensued about the time change (from Sunday to Saturday) of the Reference Research Forum. Decided we would wait to see how attendance was before pursuing it further.
- At midwinter, redistribution of journals covered will be discussed. Before our midwinter meeting, new journals to be added should be e-mailed to committee members.
- If we are short people on the committee, we can offer an internship to someone. This is a one year appointment. The person is not an official member but will be appointed the following year.
- Meeting adjourned 10:10 am.
Second meeting canceled.
Sarah J. Hammill