2004 Midwinter Meeting Minutes

ALA Midwinter 2004
RUSA/MOUSS Research and Statistics Committee
Meeting of Saturday January 10, 2004, 9:30-11:00am
San Diego, Marriott Ballroom D
Meeting Minutes

1. Welcome & Introductions.
* Committee members were introduced. 
* The following members were present:  Joan Stein, Steve Hiller, Mary Casserly, Rebecca Jackson, Gary Parsons, John J. Spencer, Carolyn Radcliff, JoAnn Jacoby, Kathy Crowe, Sarah Hammill

2. Review and Approval of the Agenda.
* The agenda was approved without additions.

3. Approval of the Minutes from ALA Annual 2003.
* The meeting minutes were approved with corrections.

4. Review of Submissions for Reference Research Forum proposals and selection of presenters.
* Decided consensus of choices was better than majority rule.  Discussion ensued over pro's and con's of proposals that received at least one vote.  Three papers were selected with a fourth as an alternate.  Proposal 2 received 7 votes.  Proposal 5 received 6 votes.  Proposal 10 received 6 votes.  Proposal 16 (alternate) received 3 votes.  Joan will notify the winners. 

5. Discussion of approaching a committee to co-sponsor research forum for Annual 2005. 
* Discussion ensued about possible groups to collaborate with.  Joan will approach Evaluation of Reference and User Services Group.

6. Review of Evaluations from 2003 Reference Research Forum. 
* Received 9 evaluations.  Overall, ratings were high with lots of comments.  Discussion ensued on how to get more evaluations. 

7. Preparation for Forum at Annual.
* Kathy will prepare the flyer to handout at the forum.  Mary will distribute copies of the Reference Research Review at Annual.  Sarah will send out listserv list to members for distribution of forum announcement.  The date and time of the forum will be June 27th, 2004 from 2 - 4 pm.


8. Reference Research Review.
* Journals were assigned to members. 
Carolyn - RUSQ
Matt - Public Libraries, Library Quarterly
John - LJ
JoAnn - Library and Information Science Research
Mary - Portal, First Monday, Journal of Academic Librarianship
Rebecca - College and Research Libraries
Joan - Library Trends, Performance Measurement & Metrics
Kathy - Reference Librarian, RSR
* Steve will do a search for new titles to be reviewed.

9.  Adjournment.
* Meeting adjourned at 11:10am.


Respectfully Submitted,
Sarah J. Hammill

ALA Midwinter 2004
RUSA/MOUSS Research and Statistics Committee
Meeting of Sunday January 11, 2004, 9:30-11:00am
San Diego, Hyatt Manchester F Room
Meeting Minutes

1. Welcome & Introductions.
* Committee members were introduced. 
* The following members were present: Joan Stein, Steve Hiller, Mary Casserly, John J. Spencer, Carolyn Radcliff, Kathy Crowe, Sarah Hammill, Melissa Gross

2.  Approaching a committee to co-sponsor research forum for Annual 2005. 
* Discussion ensued about possible groups to collaborate with.  MOUSS has 2 program slots reduced from 3.  RUSA doesn't have a Research and Statistics unit.  Kathy will investigate.

3. Update on future of MOUSS as a section.
* MOUSS Board Reorganization.  Rename MOUSS to Reference Section.  Adding committees.  Wants the Research and Statistics Committee to do more with statistics and add more content to website.  Discussion ensued as to possible changing our name to Reference Research Committee.  Joan will discuss with MOUSS board.

4. Format of Reference Research Review.
* Discussed using legal paper because of space constraints.  Mary will experiment.
* Discussed changing format - categories, summary of trends, or bibliographic essay with print being just a taste of what is on the Web. Perhaps can send a message to listservs to check out website for the latest reference research trends. 
* Will survey attendees at forum to find out what people want to see/know. 
* Transition with paper handout highlighting what is found on the Web.
* Discussion broadened to Web page.  Decided a short note should be added to explain Reference Research Review and Forum and minutes will be moved down on page.  Perhaps site should include information about the call for papers. 

5. Review of statistics web sites for committee web page.
* Decided which of the web sites should be included from the list Joan e-mailed.
* Statistics page would be categorized into sections including examples, metasites, etc. 
* Discussion will continue via e-mail about additional sites and categorization.
 
6. Adjournment.
* Meeting adjourned at 10:55 am.


Respectfully Submitted,
Sarah J. Hammill