2001 Annual Meeting Minutes
Sunday, June 17, 2001, 9:30-11:00am San Francisco, Hyatt Regency, Board Room B
1. Call to Order, Marie L. Radford, Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced the visitors who will be joining the committee as of 7/1/01.
2. Approval of the Agenda. The agenda was approved unanimously.
3. Approval of the Minutes. The minutes of the meeting of January 13, 2000, ALA Midwinter, Washington, DC were not available, they will be approved by email vote.
4. Reference Research Forum. There was a discussion of the 7th Annual Reference Research Forum to be held later today at the 2001 ALA Annual Conference, June 17, 2001, in the Hyatt Regency Grand Ball Room B. Thanks were extended to the presenters: Mary Stansbury, Ph.D., (Kent State Univ.); Rachel Cheng and Steven Bischof (Wesleyan Univ. Library); and Kimberly Paone (Elizabeth Public Library). M. Radford also offered especial thanks to Judy Trump for designing the Reference Research Forum hand out and call for papers, and to Nancy Colborn for publicizing the Forum on listservs. Note that RUSA Update for April/June 2001, Vol. 22, No. 2, p. 15, also provided Forum publicity. Planning for 8th Annual Reference Research Forum to be held at ALA Annual, 2002 was also discussed. The call for papers for next year's Forum, designed by Judith Trump, was distributed. Incoming Chair, Eric Novotny offered to look into having the Forum listed as a program next year instead of a meeting (NB, Eric later reported that his request was granted, so next year the Forum will have a program slot!)
5. Reference Research Review. The draft of Reference Research Review, 2000 was discussed. After corrections are made, it will be submitted to RUSA Update for publication in Oct./Dec. issue. Reference Research Review, 2001, was discussed, and journal assignments were made as follows:
Rochelle M. Logan -
Public Libraries, LJ, SLJ
Eric Novotny - RUSQ
Matthew L. Saxton - LQ
Mary Casserly - Portal and JAL
Rebecca Jackson - College and Research Libraries, Library Trends
Need coverage for Reference Librarian and Reference Services Review
6. New Chair appointment, Eric Novotny of Pennsylvania State Univ. was congratulated.
7. New Committee appointments/reappointments, Mary Casserly, SUNY Albany, and Melissa Gross, Florida State University and Rebecca Jackson, Iowa State University were welcomed. Nancy Colborn and Marcia Rodney will continue to serve as virtual members. Michael Lorenzen, Judith Trump and Marie Radford's terms are ending. They were thanked for their enthusiastic service to the committee. Marie Radford was thanked for her leadership as chair for the past two years.
8. Old Business. None.
9. New Business. A discussion on the committee involvement in codifying guidelines for the collection of reference statistics was held. Eric Novotny offered to serve as an informal liaison to the Evaluation of Reference & User Services committee, which is already working on guidelines. The Committee is interested in assisting in this project.
Marie Radford announced that Library Research Seminar II sponsored by the Library Research Round Table (LRRT) will be held in Baltimore in November 2-3, 2001, distributed registration materials and urged the Committee to consider attending this important conference.
11. Adjournment was at 11:00am.