2004 Annual Meeting Minutes June 29

 RUSA/RSS Executive Committee Meeting II   Minutes
  2004 ALA Annual/Orlando
  Tuesday, June 29, 2004, 8:00   11:00 a.m.
  Sheraton World Resort, Board Room.
 
  Present: Mary Hollerich (Chair), Anne Beaubien, Robert J. Bellinger,  Linda Fenster,
  Scott Garton, Linda S. Harris, John C. Hepner, Allan M. Kleiman, Lars Leon, Cynthia R.
  Levine, Maira Liriano,  Anne C. Moore,  Carolyn M. Mulac, Eric Novotny, George
  Porter,  Loriene Roy,  Ellen  Safley, Joan Stein,  David Tyckoson, and Kay Vyhnanek.
 
  I. Approval of Agenda
 
  Mary Hollerich opened the meeting at 8:14 a..m. The Committee voted to approve the
  agenda as amended.
 
  II. Approval of Minutes
 
  The minutes for the meeting of Tuesday, 13 January 2004, were approved as amended to
  correct the spelling of one personal name.
 
  III. RSS Committee Reports
 
  A. Services to Adults
 
  Robert  Bellinger reported that the Committee met and discussed issues related to their
  conference program proposal.
 
  At this point, Mary Hollerich asked for volunteers to write the section news for the RUSA
  Update. While in the past the Section Secretary also prepared this column, a new editor is
  needed.  The editor need not be a member of the Executive Committee. The deadline for
  submitting content to the editor for the next column is 9 July 2004.
 
  B. Library Service to an Aging Population
 
  Allan Kleiman reported that 85 were in the audience for their program, the "Boomers are
  Coming, the Boomers are Coming." Content based on the program may be published in
  Library Journal. The Committee is also planning an all day forum on aging at
  Midwinter/Boston. The planners hope to have an audience of 100 people with
  representation from each state. The Committee is also reaching out to other units in ALA.
  OLOS now has content on their Web site on service to the aging. Members are preparing
  content on the history of the committee for the winter issue of RUSQ. The tribute to
  honor the Committee on its 40th anniversary is going to Council.
 
  Members of the committee spoke with Booklist about an annual May column featuring
  the best resources on aging. The committee is still seeking a sponsor for the Bessie Moore
  Award and hopes to locate one by ALA Midwinter/Boston. The Award will not continue
  if a sponsor is not located by this time.
  
  The committee is planning to submit a proposal for a preconference in 2006 with the
  tentative title of "Bridging the Ages." The morning portion of the program will cover
  services to traditional adults while the afternoon will be a continuation of the baby
  boomers program.  The committee will also prepare a similar program for the next PLA
  conference.
 
  The committee examined a document from the International Relations Committee that
  asks every ALA committee to have some international focus. The committee has already
  accomplished this.
 
  C. Virginia Boucher, OCLC Distinguished ILL Librarian Award
 
  Mary Hollerich announced that Joan Stein was the recipient of this award. This
  committee will be moving to STARS.
 
  D. Catalog Use
 
  Cindy Levine described the discussion group the committee held on approaches to
  explaining the catalog in reference and instruction. The fact that 84 people were in
  attendance is evidence that many are interested in knowing more about a bridge between
  cataloging and reference. The committee is also examining its charge.
 
  E. Cooperative Reference Services
 
  Linda Fenster reported that the committee discussed the proposal from the Organization
  and Planning Committee to change the name and charge of this committee to incorporate
  virtual reference. The committee also discussed planning for revisions of the Guidelines
  for Cooperative Reference Service Policy Manuals. The committee's proposed program,
  titled "Yours,  Mine, and Ours: Quality of Service in Collaborative Virtual Reference"
  was accepted for ALA/Chicago. 
         
  F. Evaluation of Reference and User Services
 
  Maira Liriano announced that the program on a new definition of reference was a huge
  success.
 
  G. Interlibrary Loan
 
  The Committee sponsored programs at ALA, including a program called "License to
  Fill." The PowerPoint slides from this program will soon be available on the ILL
  Committee Web site. The committee would like to develop two versions of the ALA
  Factsheet on ILL, one for trustees and one for the new ILL librarian. They will also place
  summaries of STARS activities on the ILL list. They will issue another call for STARS
  volunteers in September. They are working on updating Web site content with
  explanations as the Web site transfers over to STARS. Their preconference for 2005 will
  be titled "Currents of Change" and will cover workflow change and innovation.
         
  H. Management of Reference
 
  There was no committee report.
         
  I. Nominating
 
  Maira Liriano noted that this committee is conducting its business via email. People can
  direct their questions to her.
 
  J. Research and Statistics
 
  Joan Stein reported that over 100 attended the Reference Research Forum. In addition to
  planning this event, the committee is considering other parts of its charge. They would
  like information on how to add and revise Web site content. They are also starting to
  explore the process of establishing a reference research award. Mary Hollerich added that
  an ALA awards committee ultimately approves new awards. The committee would also
  have to secure funding from a vendor to cover the cost of the award and administrative
  overhead.
 
  K. Library Service to the Spanish Speaking
 
  There was a question about the existence of this committee.
 
  L. Organization and Planning
 
  John Hepner distributed three handouts. Two listed new RSS committees and discussion
  groups with their charges. The third handout listed existing committees, their current
  charges, and any proposed changes to their charges.
 
  Discussion first addressed three new proposed committees. Mary Hollerich asked whether
  the charge for the Education and Professional Development for Reference Committee
  would monitor educational opportunities rather than develop workshops and training
  opportunities within the section.  John Hepner replied that this task will be included in the
  committee's charge which will also include developing the section's own training and
  development programs. Hollerich asked that both tasks be stated explicitly in the charge
  since involvement with developing WebCT programs will be a great opportunity to
  promote RSS. 
 
  Ellen Safley noted that the representative from MARS spoke at the meeting of the RUSA
  Reorganization Committee about the possible formation of a dual committee for virtual
  reference service to be formed from two RUSA sections. She also reminded the
  Committee that 12 July 2004 is the deadline for submitting changes to appear in the next
  ALA Handbook of Organization. These updates include new appointments.
 
  John Hepner indicated that the vision for the Marketing and Public Relations for
  Reference Services Committee's applies to activities both internal and external to an
  information setting. While Mary Hollerich suggested adding the phrase, "to internal and
  external bodies," to this committee's charge, the preference of the Board was to leave the
  charge as proposed.
 
  The Board approved the establishment of three new committees to RSS. These are the
  Educational and Professional Development for Reference Committee, the Marketing and
  Public Relations for Reference Services Committee, and the User Education and
  Information Literacy Committee. 
 
  Discussion next turned to the RSS Discussion groups. Three existing discussion groups
  will continue: Performance Issues for Reference/Information Librarians, Reference
  Services in Large Research Libraries, and Reference Services in Small and Medium-sized
  Libraries. There was also a request that Discussion Groups be more overtly mentioned on
  the Web site.
  
  Organization and Planning sent a proposal to RUSA to request that the Hot Topics in
  Frontline Reference Discussion Group be transferred to RSS.
 
  John Hepner explained that the RSS bylaws provides no provision for the Executive
  Committee to create a discussion group. The Executive Board has two procedural options
  it can follow. It can vote to suspend the bylaws and allow the Board to create a discussion
  group without signatures or it can approve the formation of a discussion group in
  principal and then secure 25 signatures to create them officially. The process of
  requesting signatures can involve sending emails to the RUSA and RSS listservs,
  requesting members to print off a petition, sign it, and return it. David Tyckoson and
  Allan Kleiman suggested that they try to secure the necessary signatures at ALA
  Midwinter/Boston and ALA Annual/Chicago.
 
  Mary Hollerich said since RSS is, in essence, creating a new section, they have to redo
  the bylaws. John Hepner added that RSS is currently operating under the existing bylaws
  as amended. He noted that RSS is due for a RUSA section review in another year or two.
  Hollerich advised that when RSS revises its bylaws that it removes this requirement that
  discussion groups petition to be reestablished.
 
  This discussion led to a vote by the Committee to suspend the bylaws to establish two
  new discussion groups and transfer one existing discussion group to RSS.
 
  The Committee next examined the list and charges for existing committees. John Hepner
  mentioned that Organization and Planning recommends that every committee look at their
  current charge and consider whether adjustments need to be made to reflect new goals.
  He asked that Committees place this task on their agendas for discussion at ALA
  Midwinter/Boston.
 
  Slight changes were made to the charges for the Organization and Planning and Research
  and Statistics committees. The Catalog Use Committee might need to update its charge.
  Between now and ALA Midwinter/Boston discussion will take place on whether to
  jointly sponsor the virtual reference committee with MARS. Ellen Safley asked whether
  marketing of the section should be added to a committee's charge. Maira explained that
  RSS will form a one-year promotion task force that can provide advice on the possible
  establishment of a new committee. As RSS Chair, she will look at committee
  memberships and charges over the next year.
 
  Mary Hollerich and Eric Novotny suggested a change to the proposed charge for the
  Organization and Planning Committee to reflect that it reviews the section organization
  and advises the Executive Committee.
 
  John Hepner added that a change to the charge for the Cooperative Reference Service
  Committee is probably not necessary. There was some discussion on the best way to note
  that sponsoring an annual research forum is part of the charge of the Research and
  Statistics committee. The Committee suggested that the reference research forum be
  listed in lower case in the charge to allow for flexibility in planning this event.
 
  John Hepner asked Cooperative Reference Service to consider changing its scope to
  cover both cooperative and virtual reference. Mary Hollerich moved that this committee
  prepare a charge. This action was approved unanimously.
 
  IV. MOUSS Discussion Group Reports
 
  A. Interlibrary Loan
 
  Anne Beaubien reported on this discussion group as well as on the activities of the
  Interlibrary Loan Committee. She announced that an Executive Committee for STARS
  has been elected by RUSA members present at the RUSA ILL Discussion Group and
  includes Mary Hollerich as Chair, Anne Beaubien as Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Kay
  Vyhnanek as Secretary, and Lynn Wiley, Tanner Wray, and Tom Schneiter as the three
  members at large. The Discussion Group also held small group discussions on possible
  projects for the new STARS committees and a program on international ILL by Lynn
  Wiley.
 
 
  B. Performance Issues for Reference Librarians
 
  There was no report from this discussion group.
 
  C. Reference Service in Large Research Libraries
 
  There was no report from this discussion group.
 
  D. Reference in Small and Medium-Sized Libraries
 
  There was no report from this discussion group.
 
  V. RUSA Committee Reports
 
  A. Access to Information
 
  There was no report from this Committee.
 
  B. Conference Coordinating
 
  Scott Garton reported that all four RSS program proposals were approved. The Research
  and Statistics program will take place on Saturday during the 1:30   3:30 time slot. The
  Management of Reference program will take place on Sunday, 1:30   3:30. The Service
  to Adults program will occur on Saturday from 4:00   5:30. The Cooperative Reference
  program will be on Sunday, 8:30   10:00. RUSA will sponsor a total of eleven programs
  at ALA/Chicago, not counting the RUSA President's program. While each section may
  sponsor up to three programs, RSS will have four programs because it will co-sponsor the
  Cooperative Reference program with STARS. The MARS and RSS co-sponsored
  preconference was approved as was the RSS ILL preconference. Allan Kleiman asked if
  committees be given a fair opportunity at sponsoring programs by reviewing program
  sponsorship at ALA Midwinter.
 
  Mary Hollerich asked whether the program limit will be increased with the arrival of
  STARS as a new section. Scott Garton indicated that he was not sure what channel needs
  to be used to make the Reference Research Forum a permanent RUSA event and thus not
  be counted as one of the three RSS programs. Joan Stein noted that programs provide an
  excellent opportunity to market RUSA and RSS. Program planners might provide
  information on how to join RUSA on evaluation sheets distributed at the program. Allan
  Kleiman added that program moderators might pick up packets prior to the programs to
  distribute at the programs.
 
  C. Membership
 
  There was no report from this Committee.
 
  D. Nominating
 
  Maira Liriano observed that David Tyckoson is Chair of Nominating and activities are
  going well. Several RSS members will be on the ballot. STARS will have to select a
  representative to this Committee in the future.
 
  E. Organization
         
  Ellen Safley summarized some changes occurring in other RUSA Sections. CODES will
  be undergoing review. STARS will be asked to share a committee with CODES. BRASS
  just completed their review. The MARS representative spoke about a new virtual
  reference committee. MARS also sends a representative to some NMRT members in an
  effort to recruit new members to MARS. RSS might want to emulate this activity.
         
  F. Planning and Finance
 
  Lars Leon reported that RUSA will end FY04 with an even budget. RUSA might receive
  around $20,000 through a Walgreen's consumer health information grant. RUSA will
  also host five preconferences; preconferences usually generate income for the Section.
  RUSA will have a little reserve balance for FY2004; RUSA has to retain 50% of the
  expenditures averaged over 3 years. The biggest question is dues.
  
  RUSA last raised dues 8 years ago. A dues increase would have to be voted on by
  membership. This question may appear on the spring 2005 ballot.  The general advice is
  not to request a dues increase in a section during the same year that ALA asks for a
  general dues raise. Mary Hollerich advised that RUSA might want to examine the dues
  structures of other divisions. Lars Leon suggested that RSS place this discussion item on
  its Saturday agenda at ALA Midwinter/Boston.
 
  Lars Leon reported 2003 RUSA membership at 4,113 personal members. Mary Hollerich
  observed that ALA needs to institute a public relations and promotion plan with
  incentives for membership. Allan Kleiman added that he would like to see a discount at
  the ALA bookstore for members. Hollerich would also like to initiate a discussion of
  other sources of revenue for RUSA, especially income that might relate to WebCT
  courses.
 
  G. Professional Development
 
  Carolyn Mulac said that the committee was given a new charge by the RUSA board: to
  provide leadership and coordinate the development of RUSA programming apart from
  annual conferences including generating topics and recommending other topics for Web
  courses, evaluate  proposals for WebCT courses including those from outside sources,
  and organize and sponsor an orientation session for new members.
  David Tyckoson announced that he has developed a four-week, Web-based course on The
  Reference Interview that is offered through RUSA. The course will be offered twice in
  fall 2004 and enrollment will be limited to 30. It is especially recommended for support
  staff.  The fee for RUSA members is $130.
 
  H. Publications
 
  There was no report from Publications.
 
  I. Standards and Guidelines
 
  The revised Guidelines for Behavioral Performance of Reference and Information
  Services Professionals were passed by the RUSA Board.  A couple of paragraphs were
  added to the ILL code as explanatory text. The Guidelines for Library Services to
  Hispanics is scheduled for review. They will also start to look at the Guidelines for
  Library Services to Older Adults at ALA Midwinter/Boston. The Standards and
  Guidelines Committee is available to help committees prepare and revise guidelines; their
  services include a checklist on the Web site.
 
  VI. RUSA Board Report
 
  The RUSA Board is looking for nominations to ALA Council. They also discussed the
  draft of the RUSA Web site policy. The contact person is Joe Straw at the University of
  Illinois. Standards and Guidelines endorsed the resolution to honor the 40th anniversary of
  the Library Service for an Aging Population.
 
  VII. Old Business
 
  There was no old business.
 
  VIII.  New Business
 
  Maira Liriano reported that the MARS Executive Committee voted to endorse creation
  of a joint RSS/MARS Virtual Reference committee.  The structure being discussed
  would involve a Chair and Vice-chair, with each position rotating between RSS and
  MARS.  The Chair and Vice-chair could attend the board meetings for their
  respective Sections, rather than having one Chair report at both boards.  All
  present RSS Executive Committee members voted in agreement.  It is hoped to form
  this committee as soon as possible.  It was noted that at the present time, the
  Cooperative Reference Service Committee is also focusing its attention on virtual
  reference issues.  But it was decided that there are cooperative reference issues
  that do not involve virtual reference, as well as virtual reference issues that do
  not involve cooperative relationships between libraries.  Therefore, it was
  concluded that the two committees should be separate, even though they have
  overlapping interests at the present time.
 
  Maira Liriano also asked for interest in establishing a three member, one-year taskforce to
  promote RSS. Mary Hollerich added that the taskforce have a clear charge with deadlines.
  David Tyckoson volunteered to serve on and chair this taskforce. Allan Kleiman also
  volunteered to serve.
 
  George Porter arrived in time to ask whether Tuesday Executive Board meetings might be
  located near each other so joint meeting time might be scheduled. There was also a
  suggestion that name cards be reintroduced at Board meetings.
 
  IX. Adjournment
 
  The meeting adjourned at 11:12 a.m.
 
  Respectfully submitted,
 
  Loriene Roy
  RSS Secretary