Library Services to an Aging Population
21 Ideas for the 21st Century
Here are 21 programming ideas suitable for Senior patrons.
- Host a class on internet resources. Class ideas could include:
- Basic web searching
- Genealogy on the internet
- How to avoid internet "scams"
- Financial information on the web
- Become a Secret Shopper
- Offer medical programming done by medical professionals.
- Sponsor an intergenerational community history project.
- Provide Senior Adult "storytimes" at senior centers, nursing homes, retirement commuities, etc.
- Initiate a quilting program -- create a historical/commemorative quilt.
- Sponsor an intergenerational photo contest.
- Offer programs on Burma Shave signs, local trivia, music boxes, WWII.
- Start an oral history project.
- Have a musical program: outdoor band concert, big band music, local school group.
- Contact someone to start a discussion group for seniors or caregivers.
- Offer the library as a place for support groups to meet.
- Sponsor a home safety program.
- Provide programs on Social Security, Medicare, taxes.
- Host a Mad Hatter's Tea.
- Offer a consumers series.
- Have a show of wedding fashions from the 30s and 40s.
- Start a recipe exchange.
- Sponsor a "sock hop" with live music or a DJ and a dance instructor.
- Provide library space for displays of crafts and hobbies, and for recreational activities.
- Host tax counseling services for seniors. -- Call the IRS or AARP to set it up.
- Establish Senior Day in your community.