ETS: Emerging Technologies Section
ETS, the Emerging Technologies Section of RUSA (formerly known as MARS), serves reference information service providers who leverage emerging technologies to deliver the highest quality services to our users. In this context of emerging technologies, we advocate for, promote and strengthen user environments and interactions, as well as the creation of innovative information resources, as part of the continuum of reference and user services in libraries. The possibilities for professional and personal growth are enormous!
MARS is now ETS, Emerging Technologies Section!We continue to transition our section's name to Emerging Technologies Section (ETS).
Spend time in Boston with ETS!
Our ALA Midwinter 2016 programming includes:
- "We Are All User Experience Librarians: Creating Change from the Trenches"
One of ALA's "Deep Dive" sessions, this program is co-sponsored by ETS' UX Design Committee, ETS' Professional Development Committee, and RSS' Education and Professional Development for Reference Committee.
WHEN: Saturday, January 9, 1-4pm
WHERE: BCEC (Convention Center) 207
NOTES: $95 advance registration required. Learn how to add this session to your existing registration.
- "Optimizing the Web for Reference: Best Practices for Usability, Accessibility, and Responsiveness"
A discussion hosted by the ETS MERS Committee.
WHEN: Saturday, January 9, 1-2:30pm
WHERE: BCEC (Convention Center) 258B
- "Pay No Attention to the Librarian Behind the Curtain: Virtual Reference and Privacy in Libraries"
A discussion hosted by the ETS Hot Topics Discussion Group featuring guest speaker Alison Macrina from the Library Freedom Project.
WHEN: Sunday, January 10, 1-2:30pm
WHERE: SEAPORT Plaza Ballroom C
- "Transitions from Traditional OPACS to Discovery Systems: How Has This Had Impact on Use and Instruction?"
A discussion hosted by the ETS Local Systems & Services/Products & Services Committe.
WHEN: Sunday, January 10, 3-4pm
WHERE: BCEC (Convention Center) 205B
- Read the Current Issue of Messages from ETS
Conferences & Program Events
- ETS: Emerging Technologies in Reference schedule @ 2015 ALA Annual Conference
Committees & Discussion Groups
- RUSA Online Volunteer Form
- Committees & Discussion Groups: rosters, charges, more information
- Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
ETS Governing Documents
- ETS Bylaws
- ETS Forms (under revision)
- ETS Handbook (under revision)
- ETS Policies and Procedures (under revision)
- Best Free Reference Web Sites Combined Index
- Read Messages from MARS Archive | Current Issue
- ETS Blog | RUSA Blog | RUSQ Online Companion | RUSA Update
- Join the discussion on ETS-L
- Section Review 2007 | Appendix E
- More ETS Publications