18 June 2002

RUSA History Section Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
American Library Association Annual Conference 2002
Atlanta, Georgia

Saturday, June 15, 2002 8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. Atlanta Marquis, Press Room
Tuesday, June 18, 2002 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Atlanta Marquis, State Room

18 June 2002 8:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m.

Present

Jim Niessen, Chair Rutgers University niessen@rci.rutgers.edu
Marilyn Carbonell University of Missouri-Kansas City carbonellm@umkc.edu
Ruth Carr New York Public Library rcarr@nypl.org
Nancy L. Eckerman Indiana University School of Medicine neckerman@iupui.edu
Ed Frank University of Memphis efrank@memphis.edu
Nancy M. Godleski Yale University nancy.godleski@yale.edu
Phoebe Janes University of California-Berkeley pjanes@library.berkeley.edu
Tom Kemp Heritage Quest genannual@aol.com
David L. Langenberg University of Delaware Library davidl@udel.edu
Ann Reinert Mid-Continent Public Library mn_rei@mcpl.lib.mo.us
Carla Rickerson University of Washington Libraries crick@washington.edu
Curt Witcher Allen County Public Library cwitcher@acpl.lib.in.us

1. 2002 History Section Program (Ed Oetting)
The HS Program, " What Do You Mean I Can't Rely on Hitler's 1960 Web Diary for My Papers: Evaluating Historical Sources on the Web," on Sunday as was well attended by more than one hundred. The three speakers presented interesting papers, and there were questions and discussion from the attendees. Positive feedback received on the program.

Ed also reported and others agreed that the RUSA Awards ceremony, Monday, was very well handled, and one of best! Planned and paced well and honorees had an opportunity to speak.

2. History Section PreConference, Atlanta (Tom Kemp)
Tom reported that although the number of attendees was down from previous years, the preconference program was well received and productive. Companies donated books for the event and sponsored the luncheon. Discussed the impact of decreasing library budgets on attendance and the need to cut costs for attendees. Ruth said public librarians are the main audience and travel budgets overall are way down. Fewer public librarians were registered for the Atlanta conference. Nancy said that RUSA income from the preconferernces had decreased. The next preconference is scheduled for Philadelphia at Midwinter (JAnuary 2003).

The Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group is working on the cosponsored Toronto conference program. Tom thanked committee members for their energetic work on programs and activities on behalf of the History Section.

3. Historical Events Committee (David Langenberg)
The committee is productive, although small in number of members. The meeting was attended by Jim Niessen and Jennifer Paustenbaugh, Special Collections, Oklahoma State University (new HE chair). Historical Events website is ready to be moved to the HS website. New members appointed to the committee. Discussed possible audiences and member pool, e.g., special collections staff plan exhibits and K-12 audience. Marilyn suggested sending announcements of the HE projects to the state library associations for further distribution.

4. Local History Committee (Ed Frank)
More than twenty attendees toured the Auburn University Library African American collections.

5. Sunsetting of Local History Committee Guidelines (Ed Frank, Curt Witcher)
Submitted new guidelines to the new editor. Ed Frank said the Toronto program working title is " All History is Local: the Canadian Experience." An issue is how to attract international attendees. Phoebe commented that since the Canadian Library Association is planning the 2003 Annual Conference with ALA, there are CLA liaisons.

6. RUSA Access to Information Committee (Ann Reinert)
A forum was held at Midwinter on intellectual freedom and privacy and confidentiality. ALA is planning to contest CIPA. Committee approved and passed its approval to the RUSA Board in March 2002. Watch for the "Principles for a Networked Worlds;" resolutions on GATT: and a "Librarians and the Internet TOolkit." Programs planned for Toronto on how librarians can present issues on information access and intellectual freedom.

7. RUSA Membership Committee (Nancy Godleski, Phoebe Janes)
Committee discussed the size of committees; bylaws/rules not always followed for up to 10-12 members. Brainstorming about strategic planning for membership based on RUSA retreat. Target group for outreach includes library school students. Other membership ideas: each section has an opportunity to cover a 4-hour time slot block at the RUSA booth, and update brochures (The HS brochure is dated and needs updating). Ruth said that BRASS holds a new member open house-an idea for HS to consider.

8. RUSA Organization Committee (Ruth Carr)
Denise Bennett is Chair. Discussed "virtual" membership on committees. Many issues involved regarding e-members or distance members. Probably these members will be involved in specific committee projects. But participation in policy discussions may be limited. Reviewed recommendation from MOUSS to change ILL group name to "resource Sharing." MARS and MOUSS have done section reviews and strategic planning. Noted that RUSA has no general reference section. No changes recommended for BRASS or History Section, and only minor modification to CODES. Examining organizational charts to check for committee and section redundancy.

9. RUSA Conference Program Committee (Carla Rickerson)
Committee met twice and two representatives from the Canadian Library Association assisted with reviews of the program proposals. There were thirteen proposals for RUSA Programs at the Toronto conference, June 2003: Twelve approved and one not approved. The President's program will deal with "Frontier Reference." Committee recommended that program time slots be changed to two hours instead of 1.5 or 4 hours. Carla reminded program planners that RUSA office will copy handouts for programs if materials are submitted according to schedule.

10. RUSA Planning and Finance Committee (Nancy Godleski, Phoebe Janes)
Membership is expected to be flat. Budget cuts in state and libraries will affect ALA membership and conference attendance. Publications that were outsourced will now be handled inside ALA Division revenues are down.

11. RUSA Board of Directors (Jim Niessen)
Carol TObin is RUSA President. Him reported on the meetings of the RUSA Board. Board is discussing an initiative to increase library staff membership in RUSA, including lower RUSA dues. The organizational structure changes based on midwinter retreat are delayed because two sections have reviews still in process.

11A. HS Award Regarding the History Section awards, a potential donor for a second award has been approached and criteria for the award need to be finalized. Lengthy discussion followed by the History Section Executive Committee on criteria for the new award. Honoree can include an individual, or project group, an outstanding library association. Award discussion continued on recognition of scholarly or creative work, innovative projects, library programs or innovative services to promote historical awareness. Nancy and Curt will send draft text for comment to the HS Executive Committee.

12. Committee Descriptions (Ruth Carr)
Need to review the descriptions of the History Section and its committees in the RUSA Handbook. This is an opportunity to update.

13. Instruction and Research Services Committee
This is a proposed new History Section committee. Need to work on a committee description. Ideas and projects include a librarians' webpage toolkit for instruction that could include all aspects of the job, such as evaluating websites. Proposed committee composition is 10-12 members, terms of membership are two years, with possibility of renewal. Discussed specific duties.:

Discuss, create, and disseminate guidelines and tools to assist librarians on reference, outreach, and collection development in history. Communicate with libraries and other organizations that are interested in instruction and research services in all fields of history.

Motion to accept proposed by Nancy Godleski; seconded by Curt Withcer; and approved by unanimous vote of the History Section Executive Committee.

14. New Business
Jim Niessen, outgoing Chair, thanked the Executive Committee for their hard work this last year, especially on the programs, the awards projects, and the establishment of a new Instruction and Research Services COmmittee.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:101 a.m.

Respectfully Submitted by:

Marilyn Carbonell, Member-at-Large