15 June 2002

RUSA History Section Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
American Library Association Annual Conference 2002
Atlanta, Georgia

Saturday, June 15, 2002 8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m. Atlanta Marquis, Press Room
Tuesday, June 18, 2002 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. Atlanta Marquis, State Room

15 June 2002 8:00 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.

Present

Jim Niessen, Chair Rutgers University niessen@rci.rutgers.edu
Sam Boldrick Miami-Dade Public Library boldricks@mdpls.org
Carole Callard Library of Michigan ccallard@michigan.gov
Marilyn Carbonell University of Missouri-Kansas City carbonellm@umkc.edu
Ruth Carr New York Public Library rcarr@nypl.org
Nancy L. Eckerman Indiana University School of Medicine neckerman@iupui.edu
Tom Kemp Heritage Quest genannual@aol.com
David L. Langenberg University of Delaware Library davidl@udel.edu
Ann Reinen Mid-Continent Public Library mn_rei@mcpl.lib.mo.us
Rebecca Tolley-Stokes East Tennessee State University tolleyst@etsu.edu
Curt Witcher Allen County Public Library ewitcher@acpl.lib.in.us

Announcements:
Nancy Godleski and Ray WRight are attending New Chairs' Orientation during this time. Rebecca Tolley-Stokes was introduced as the section's new webmaster, replacing Teresa Murdock, who was thanked for her service. Celentina Roth is the News Editor, replacing Nancy Huling, who was thanked for her service. Reminded members about the History Section dinner, 16 June, Sunday 6 p.m. at Mary Mac's Tea Room.

Jim made the following announcements: RUSA President's program: " Reference Interview: Connecting in Person and in Cyberspace," will be followed by the RUSA Awards Reception. The first RUSA Hot Topics Discussion Group, based on input from Midwinter is scheduled during this conference.

1. Approval of Minutes
Minutes of the Executive Committee meetings, 19 and 22 January 2002, Midwinter Conference, New Orleans, were approved.

2. Committee Announcements and Reports

Bibliography and INdexes Committee (Ed Oetting)
Ed Oetting reported that the History Section program planned by the Bibliography and Indexes Committee is scheduled for Sunday, 8:30 a.m. and entitled " What Do You Mean I Can't Rely on Hitler's 1960 Web Diary for My Papers: Evaluating Historical Sources on the Web." HS is co-sponsoring program (SAA) on historical sources for K-12, preceded by brief showing. Jeanne Pierce is the new incoming chair of B & I replacing Ed Oetting. The " Best Bibliographies" are in progress.

Genealogical Publishing Company Award Committee (Sam Boldrick, Acting Chair)
Ray Wright is the incoming chair. The RUSA History Section GPC Award winner for 2002 is Curt Witcher, and the awardees luncheon is scheduled for Sunday at the Swan Coach House Restaurant.

Genealogy & Local History Discussion Group (Tom Kemp)
Thirty-nine registrants attended the preconference, down from eighty at the last conference. The publishers donated fifty books; each participant received one free. The next one is scheduled for ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia, January 2003.

Genealogy Committee (Tom Kemp)
Tom said the Discussion Group and Committee Program today features (1) Dr. Vladimir Wertsman, ALA EMIERT Round Table, speaking on American immigrant groups; and (2) Tom speaking on the 1930 census.

Historical Events Committee (David Langenberg)
The Historical Events Committee website has been up for three weeks and linked from the HS website.

Local History Committee (Ed Frank)
Planning for the program for the Annual Conference in Toronto (June 2003) is in process. Susan Malbin is the incoming Local History chair. Discussed the " Guidelines on Establishing Local History Collections" (2p.). Needs improvement and major revision. Since there was no action by time of the annual conference, the document will be removed from the website. Curt said that it needs updating and improvement, can be up to five pages, but needs to be revised and submitted according to RUSA schedule and channels.

RUSA Conference Program Coordinator (Carla Rickerson)
" Adoption Searching," The PLA program for librarians and non-librarians is an issue in public services, but is not advocacy, but dealing with the very specialized reference interview. Local-History also has a program for Toronto 2003: " All History is Local." The HS will have two programs for the June 2003 annual conference. Tom Kemp questioned the policy and enforcement or monitoring of "no conflict" scheduling for programs and co-sponsored programs.

RUSA Organizing COmmittee (Ruth Carr)
The Committee is discussing virtual members again, a survey, and the structure of the RUSA Board. MARS and BRAWSS have written documents on committee membership defining roles, working, and business meetings. The spontaneous discussions that occur at meetings may mean virtual members are not represented. Discussed whether exclusion may be against "open meetings" policy, but they are closed only in one sense. Tom said sending the question and business to RUSA-L would provide a broad forum and opportunity for members. For example, L-Hist links as well.

RUSA Standards and Guidelines Committee (David Langenberg)
David reported that standards and guidelines needing revision in 2003, included guidelines for teaching in SLIS. Also, revision to guideline for continuing for continuing education need to be prepared and submitted. Tom said the committee could probably work on both.

3. RUSA Board of Directors Report (Jim Niessen)
THe RUSA Board will discuss virtual membership and a new section on "Resource Sharing" proposed by the MOUSS Interlibrary Loan group. Will also discuss limits on number of members on committees.

4. History Section Award(s) and Possible Second Award (Min Niessen, Ray Wright, Sam Boldrick)
Discussed the ling-established Genealogical Publishing Co. Award, GPC Award, established in the 1980s according to Ann. The text on the purpose of the award (1992) is on the web. Ruth asked if the language need to be changed. The purpose of the award has been to recognize service to the section over a professional career. Sam raised committee membership and that the number of members can't go below five and there are currently three. Need to discuss staggered terms. Jim said current RUSA award guidelines specify amounts of new awards: $2,000. Older awards may need to be increased. Also discussed the possible establishment of a new award with a purpose different from the GPC Award for example honoring anyone, not limited to HS members.

5. New Business includes recruitment to the profession and strategic planning. Reminder: Next meeting, Tuesday, 18 June 2002.

Meeting adjourned at 9:01 a.m.

Respectfully Submitted by:

Marilyn Carbonell, Member-at-Large