RUSA History Section Executive Committee

2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting – Denver, CO

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Present: David Lincove (Chair), Mary E. Bogan (Recorder), Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick, Greg Eow, David L. Langenberg (Webmaster), Russell (Russ) Lynch, Susan Malbin, Jeannette Pierce, M. Ann Reinert, Carla Rickerson, Janice Schultz, Jack Simpson, Kathleen (Kathy) Strauss (Vice Chair) Jennalyn (Jen) Tellman, Agnes Widder (Past Chair), Ellen Zyroff (Visitor)

  1. Introductions

    The members of the History Section Executive Committee (HSEC) introduced themselves. David Lincove talked about the meeting highlight form, which should be submitted by committee chairs within ten days of the committee meeting. Mary E. Bogan should be provided with a copy of the form.

  2. Approve History Section Minutes from Annual Conference, June 2008

    The minutes of the June 24, 2008 and July 1, 2008 meetings were approved. Mary E. Bogan should forward the most recent versions of the drafts of these minutes to David L. Langenberg for posting on the History Section website.

  3. History Section Dinner

    David Lincove announced that the History Section Dinner would be Sunday, January 25 at 6:30 p.m. at Vesta Dipping Grill, 1823 Blake Street in Denver. He added that the Genealogy Committee Dinner would be at the Denver Downtown Aquarium at 700 Water Street at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, January 24.

  4. RUSA Book and Media Awards Reception

    David Lincove announced that the reception would be held Sunday, January 25, 4-5:30 p.m. in the Capitol Peak Ballroom in the Grand Hyatt Denver. The reception is an attempt to create more public exposure for RUSA awards. This reception conflicts with the History Librarians Discussion Group. Susan Malbin stated that the discussion topic would be “How to Attract Students to History Guides.”

    The reception would not include the ABC – Clio Online History Award. The ABC – Clio Online History Award Committee, which is chaired by Shelley Arlen, was meeting at the same time as the History Section Executive Committee.

    The “Best Historical Materials” were published in Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ) in the Fall 2008 issue. The Historical Materials Committee has held virtual meetings instead of meeting at this ALA Midwinter Meeting.

  5. Report on the Genealogy Preconference on Friday, January 23

    David Lincove had received a brief report from Tina Beaird about the Genealogy Preconference. There were 39 people in attendance including 28 who paid registration. Seven of those walked in and were not pre-registered. Four people were volunteers, four people were Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee members and others were speakers. Six attendees had paid the registration fee but RUSA did not have their names recorded. Some of these people had or may have had bundled registrations. David Lincove will inquire about that. There were not enough badges, name tags, registration forms and handouts. In addition to the interesting presentations, James Jeffrey gave a behind-the-scenes tour of the Denver Public Library.

    There was discussion about putting the agenda for the Genealogy Preconference online with links to the handouts. Janice Schultz said that James Jefrey could contact the speakers for permission to link to their presentations.

    Carla Rickerson said that it could be mentioned in the RUSA Professional Development Committee meeting. That committee can’t get evaluations for online courses. That could also be brought up as an issue. Nancy Huling is chairing the Committee. Since Michelle Enke, the History Section Representative on the RUSA Professional Development Committee, was not able to attend the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, Kathy Strauss could attend the committee meeting and ask about the professional development courses.

    There was no cost to RUSA for the Genealogy Preconference. ProQuest underwrote the lunch and other refreshments. The Denver Public Library hosted the preconference. There were no honoraria. The registration fee had no relationship with the expenses involved in the preconference. There was discussion that the registration fee should have more to do with the cost of the preconference. Janice said that Bill Buckner, a former Chair of the Genealogy Committee, had gone around with RUSA regarding this issue. The Genealogy Preconference had made as much as $5000. Tina has reported that RUSA will allow only $500 for the venue for the Genealogy Preconference at the 2009 ALA Conference in Chicago.

    Agnes Widder commented that if the Genealogy Preconference cost less, more people would come. Jack Simpson stated that instructors for online RUSA professional development courses are not paid much per student.

    Susan said that there is a $15 charge for certification of paraprofessionals in the University of North Texas LEEP Program. David Lincove commented that ALA is desperate for money. Ann Reinert said that $250,000 had been given to the ALA Endowment.

  6. Cosponsorship of Samuel Ullman Film with Ethnic & Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT)

    Ellen Zyroff of EMIERT visited the HSEC Meeting to invite the History Section to co-sponsor a program at an ALA Annual Conference at which the film “So Long Are You Young: Samuel Ullman’s Poem and Passon” would be shown and a discussion about the film would be held. One and one-half to two hours would be needed for a session to show the film, which is 58 minutes long, and hold a discussion. Someone will need to be found to lead the discussion. To maximize exposure, it was decided to wait to hold the program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. Susan asked why we should wait.

    Ellen inquired if RUSA could take the lead since EMIERT has a program in 2009. Carla asked if this proposal should have gone to the RUSA Conference Program Coordinating Committee. David will work with Ellen to make a proposal to the committee.

    David Lincove commented that Brooke Becker, the Chair of the History Section Historical Materials Committee, is from Birmingham where Samuel Ullman lived. David Lincove suggested getting additional funding so the producer or author of the book could speak at the program. Susan mentioned that film screenings were held at the Association for Jewish Studies Meeting in December 2009. Ellen added that the Association of Jewish Libraries would meet in Chicago prior to the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.

    David Lincove said that holding the program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference could be discussed. We could try to hold the program sooner if possible. We could also try to get funding for the program.

    Ellen said that the division gets the room and AV equipment. ALA pays for the room. The round table pays for the AV equipment. David Lincove would like to arrange it so no one has to pay anything.

    Carla commented that Brooke Becker would know what theme the program in 2010 has. Agnes stated that people in the History Section are devoted to make the session happen. An ad hoc committee could be created to make it happen.

    Carla inquired about the location of the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The conference will be in Washington, DC.

    Susan said that there was not enough time to put the program together for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The History Section Instructional Materials Committee has a program at that conference.

    Ellen commented that she is okay with either year. There would be a more relaxed pace for planning if it is at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The program would also get in the conference program. David Lincove will ask for special funding from ALA. Carla said that the proposal for funding would go to the Program Committee which would know in June 2009 if funding is available for the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

    Jeannette Pierce inquired if Ellen had heard the producer speak. Ellen responded that public speaking is not the producer’s forte.

  7. Upcoming Programs for ALA Annuals 2009 and 2010

    2009: Instruction and Research Services Committee (Gregg Eow)

    Greg Eow reported that the 2009 History Section Program is “Unleashing the Undigitized: Promoting and Accessing Traditional Historical Resources in the Age of Google.” Everything is not available online and the topic will be approached from the point of view of librarians, archivists, teachers and vendors.

    Susan recommended that a connection should be made with the Rare Book and Manuscript Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) which has more money and could pay for refreshments. Carla responded that RBMS doesn’t have much money. David Lincove commented that RBMS wouldn’t have to do anything. Greg added that RBMS could just lend its name to the program.

    2010: Historical Materials Committee (Brooke Becker) (written report)

    Because of “budgetary restrictions,” the committee voted to hold the committee meetings leading to and at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting “virtually, through e-mail and phone conversations.” The committee has discussed “selecting and evaluating historical materials, formats, review timelines and deadlines and planning for the presentation of a program at ALA in 2010. ... A program focusing on state archives or historical materials sites such as the California Digital Archives, Alabama Mosaic, Texas Portal to History, Illinois Digital Archives, etc. We could bring in librarians that helped make these sites possible and discuss ways to fund, manage, gather materials in your state, to advertise your own historical materials, etc.”

    The committee has compiled a list of twenty-one print and electronic resources to review for submission to the fall 2009 issue of Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ). “In the latter half of the year, we plan to continue work on revising the goals of the committee, revising the manual and completing our work for the fall 09 issue of RUSQ.”

    David Lincove recommended that close attention be paid to the calendar of program deadlines.

  8. Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group on Saturday: Videotape?

    Susan reported that Liz Bischoff, Director, Digital and Preservation Services at BCR, will lead a discussion on Creating a Local History Digital Collection on Saturday, January 25, 4-5:30 p.m.

    The session will be videotaped by Chris Cieslak as part of an experiment according to Ron L. Burdick. David L. Langenberg explained that the video will be available at the RUSA website. David Lincove inquired about a link from the History Section website.

    Janice asked about programming. The Genealogy Committee will not do a beginning genealogy session in 2010 but will have programs. She said that the Genealogy Committee will have a session in 2012.

  9. Communications

    David Lincove explained that RUSA wants to provide more exposure to members who don’t come to the ALA Annual Conference. RUSA UPDATE will be revised.

  10. RUSA Update (History Section part) (Jenalynn Tellman)

    Jen said that she sent changes for RUSA Update but that she has not seen them. Control-F needs to be used to refresh the content on the computer screen.

    David L. Langenberg explained that ALA had migrated to a new website in September 2008. He has control over some parts of the website but no control over breadcrumbing.

    David Lincove said that when ALA makes a change on the ALA website, something on the RUSA website disappears. He recommended that David L. Langenberg should attend the Communications Committee Meeting.

    David Lincove commented on the content on the History Section website including committee rosters, a link to Using Primary Sources on the Web and History of the History Section. Janice stated that “Establishing a Core Genealogy Collection” (2007) is not on the History Section website. David L. Langenberg uploaded photos from the 40th Anniversary Genealogy Committee Celebration to the website.

  11. HISTORY-L (170 subscribers as of 1/14/09)

    David Lincove reported that there are 170 subscribers out of the 1000 members of the History Section as of January 14, 2009.

  12. History Section Brochure (Revisions) (Jeannette Pierce)

    Errors in the brochure were discussed. The errors in the History Section Brochure will be brought up at the RUSA Publications Committee meeting by Jen and the RUSA Board of Directors Meeting by David Lincove.

  13. New RUSA Rules about Mass Communications

    David Lincove stated that Liz Markel wants more of a coordinating function on publicity regarding programs. She wants the publicity to go through them. Liz wants to be the central person for all marketing. She needs to approve the publicity. David Lincove wants people to be able to send information freely on the History Section Listserv. Ann said this is a concern that needs to go to the RUSA Board. David Lincove will communicate with chairs of other sections and raise this issue to the RUSA Board of Directors.

    Ann recommended that David Lincove get the concern on the RUSA Board of Directors meeting agenda immediately and talk to other section chairs later. Agnes added that David Lincove should contact Neal Wyatt, the President of RUSA.

  14. ALA Connect

    A document was sent to the HSEC via e-mail.

  15. Ad Hoc Committee Membership (Ann Reinert)

    Ann arranged for a meeting of the Ad Hoc Membership Committee consisting of Ann, Jen, Jeannette and Jack Simpson, who are Members at Large on the HSEC on Monday, January 26 at 10:15 a.m. in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency. David Lincove recommended that the ideas regarding membership issues and the role of this ad hoc committee could be discussed at the HSEC meeting on Tuesday, January 27.

  16. Meeting Schedules: More Virtual Meetings? More Virtual Committee Members? Discussion Groups for Annual Conference?

    David Lincove said that the RUSA Board of Directors will have its last meeting on the afternoon of Tuesday, January 27 at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The RUSA Board of Directors is considering having its last meeting on Monday, July 14 at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference to reduce the length of time spent at the conference. There was discussion about travel funds being frozen at different institutions. Jen remarked that she doesn’t want an organization of only those with enough personal funds to attend the ALA Annual Conferences.

    David Lincove explained that RUSA and ALA are considering virtual memberships and virtual committees. He mentioned the Historical Materials Committee whose work is being done virtually rather than at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Susan talked about the Society of American Archivists Town Meetings which she had organized.

    David Lincove said that ALA policy says that a virtual meeting needs to be defined as not being e-mail and/or phone calls between individuals. Agnes recommended looking at what other sections in ALA are doing with regard to content and delivery. Discussion groups could also be online in addition to being in person. Agnes recommended surveying members regarding what technologies are available to them. She also suggested having evening meetings, breakfast meetings and going to lunch offsite. Ann said that the Genealogy Committee used to meet Sunday after dinner. Agnes believes that dinners are important to bring people together. Janice added that there are no conflicts about meetings after 6 p.m.

    Carla talked about Nancy Boyda’s report on how to do virtual meetings. The equipment needed to broadcast programs is expensive. Some equipment is being looked at on the RUSA level to reach those who can’t attend the conferences. Kathy mentioned GoToMeetings.com. Ann added e-mail and seeing each other through Sky.com.

  17. Funding from RUSA for “New Initiatives” (Janice Schultz)

    Funding a table at state library conferences which are attended by History Section Executive Committee Members to promote RUSA. Jack will work with peers from other sections.

    Jack doesn’t think that the “new initiative” is ready to present at the meeting.

  18. Expiring Terms (Kathy Strauss)

    Kathy requested that committee chairs inform committee members if their terms are expiring. If eligible to serve another term, the volunteer form on the RUSA website can be used so she can get members signed up for the committees. The Genealogy Committee and the Local History Committee have an unlimited number of members. Janice said that enough members are needed so committees can be viable. She added that it’s not easy to tell if a previous term has been served. David Lincove said that the 2007- 2008 ALA Handbook of Organization can be checked. Members can serve two terms in a row. People can e-mail him to inquire about eligibility to serve another term.

The meeting adjourned about 10 a.m.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Present: David Lincove (Chair), Shelley Arlen, Mary E. Bogan (Recorder), Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick, Greg Eow, David L. Langenberg (Webmaster), Russell (Russ) Lynch, Susan Malbin, Jeannette Pierce, Ann Reinert, Carla Rickerson, Janice Schultz, Jack Simpson, Kathleen (Kathy) Strauss (Vice Chair), Jennalyn (Jen) Tellman, David A. Tyckoson (Visitor), Agnes Widder

David Lincove made announcements about the 2009 ALA Annual Conference program. The History Section Executive Committee (HSEC) meeting will be Monday, July 13, 8 a.m.-12 noon. The last meeting of the RUSA Board of Directors will be the morning of Tuesday, July 14.

He said that at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the last meeting will be the afternoon of Monday, January 18.

David Lincove discussed the seating arrangements for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group needs seventy-five chairs. The Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee needs 10 chairs. The Local History Committee needs fifteen chairs. The History Librarians Discussion Group does not meet at the ALA Annual Conference. The Genealogy Committee needs a square with 20 chairs. The History Section program at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, July 12 needs to be in a room with theater seating for 200.

At the HSEC meeting on January 24, rules regarding mass communications were discussed. David Lincove talked to Barb Macikas who explained that the e-mail had probably sounded a little harsh. Janice Schultz said that the title of Marketing Director is a different title than the predecessor in that position had. For consistency and accuracy of communication, if a mass communication is sent to a listserv, a draft could be sent to the Marketing Director, or a template could be created for the HSEC members to use. It shouldn’t mean that we can’t send out messages to RUSA-l, History-l or Genealib. If it is a large official function, we should be sure that she is aware of it.

David Lincove reported in an e-mail that “Promotion of programming in RUSA is being centralized. ... RUSA just wants to make sure that RUSA and the sections are sending out the same/correct information about programs.”

Jen Tellman made a reference to uniform branding. David Lincove said that at the first RUSA Board of Directors Meeting he learned that no one had been consulted about the brochures. He indicated that there was inaccurate information in the History Section Brochure and how it should be changed. Jeannette Pierce was surprised about why Liz Markel wants brochures since the information could be gotten off the website. She said that we want to review the brochure as a group and send changes to the RUSA staff. Susan Malbin recommended that we invite RUSA staff to a HSEC meeting to listen to our concerns. David Lincove said that it comes out at the RUSA Board of Directors meetings. Ann Reinert said that it also came out at the RUSA Membership Committee meetings.

Agnes Widder recommended that we send our revisions of the History Section brochure to Jeannette. Her fax # is 773-508-2993. Her name should be on the fax since it is a shared fax machine. The revised brochure could also be scanned and sent to her. She requested that revisions be sent to her soon. Jeannette said that she will send a scanned copy with corrections to Liz.

Janice stated that she likes the committee information and committee charge. Jeannette said that the brochure needs the web address of the History Section. David L. Langenberg responded that none of the other sections have web addresses on their brochures.

Susan stated that we have to know the target audience of the brochure. The brochure is not useful except for general History. The brochure doesn”t mention American History. She questioned whether other continents should be mentioned in the brochure. Susan explained that the Association for College and Research Libraries (ACRL) has special sections dealing with content.

Jeannette commented that the History Section is not limited to American History. David Lincove stated that the History Section is the only section with History as an emphasis. Jeannette asked if the scope needs to be larger. Ann said that the brochure looks too generic. David Lincove said that Jeannette would contact Liz about making changes. Jeannette commented that the History Section brochure is too close to the RUSA Brochure. David Lincove wondered how far we can re-write the brochure. Susan said that the back of the brochure is too generic.

Janice explained that the Missouri Library Association has inserts which are placed in the brochure for the divisions. Jeannette commented that it could be a double-sided card. Janice added that a lot of text is not necessary. David Lincove suggested a phone conversation about our options to make more extensive revisions.

Ann asked about the full name of the section. What is the History Section? Russ Lynch asked if we use HS as much as BRASS is used as an acronym. David L. Langenberg stated that the History Section is the only section without a logo. David Lincove asked if Jeannette could design a logo. David L. Langenberg said that he will “give it a shot” so it’s like a “color lozenge.” Jeannette recommended spelling out “History” and making it larger. She commented that it’s overwhelmed by “connect.” Since there is not much time to get the brochure revised, more revisions could be done later.

Jack Simpson said that it”s not clear that you can join committees. The brochure advertises the section. There should be text about the History Section is looking for members and wants you to join. David Lincove recommended that the committee section should be bold. The committees and what they do could be listed. Jeannette didn’t agree that level should be included. The brochure should not include much specific committee information. She would like to have an accurate brochure by the 2009 ALA Annual conference.

David Linove reported that he went to the meeting of the Ethnic & Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT). The History Section will co-sponsor the film showing and discussion. The program needs to get in the RUSA pipeline. He added that Tina Beaird was there for program planning. They may not have the money. “New Initiatives” are not for conference programs. He will communicate with Ellen Zyroff about setting up the program. He has a copy of the film which he can send to anyone who wants to view it. Janice will send a message to the list to see who wants to borrow the film. EMIERT Round Table will seek permission to show the film. EMIERT will pay for the video equipment. The HSEC has to initiate the program so the video equipment can be paid for by EMIERT.

“New Initiatives” for funding need to be submitted in the spring. It needs to be an activity that needs funding. Conference programs are not eligible. Janice recommended that a table be funded at state library conferences so that HSEC members could promote membership in the History Section. Russ commented on going to the 2009 MPLA Conference. David Lincove commented on marketing. Jack asked how many conferences would be involved. Susan responded that there are 50 state conferences. David L. Langenberg said that he would be “it” in Delaware. Janice commented that we would be promoting RUSA. Jeannette added that it would be an “ongoing initiative.” Agnes recommended that we could go to the American Historical Association Conference. David Lincove recommended going to the ACRL Conference. Jack commented on the resistance to funding travel not being the same issue as funding the table at state conferences.

Ann recommended a scholarship for someone to attend the ALA Annual Conference. Janice added that Genealogy Preconference proceeds could be used so someone could attend an ALA Annual Conference or a preconference. Susan commented that the Rare Book and Manuscript Section (RBMS) has scholarships. She also said that Emerging Leaders’ attendance at ALA Conferences is an example of a scholarship.

Jen recommended that HSEC members, who are near library schools could visit a library school and present a program or lead a discussion. Free memberships in the History Section could be offered. The library school students could have a virtual involvement in the History Section. David Lincove said that school librarians are not interested. Jen replied that there are librarians who are not in academic libraries who are interested in History. Ann recommended putting the offer of free memberships in the History Section to library school students on the History Section website and see who wants to apply.

David Lincove asked Janice to formulate a proposal about having a promotional table at a state library conference. The cost of a table and promotional expenses including shipping would need to be included in the proposal. Jeannette said that materials from RUSA as well as Genealogy and Local History could be displayed. David Lincove recommended working with Liz about promotional materials.

A second request would cover HSEC members going to library schools. Jen recommended putting it on the website. David Lincove added that it could be on the History Section website to appeal to librarians in different History areas such as Genealogy and Local History. Jen asked how it would pop up on a Google search. Jeannette commented on funds for marketing materials and food for the library school students. Jen will fill out the form, which she can get from Barb, for a proposal for HSEC members to go to library schools to talk about the History Section and distribute brochures. Jeannette recommended having coffee available.

David Lincove said that he could visit the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science Branch which is located at The Ohio State University. Kathy Strauss said that there are two library schools in Denton, TX: the Department of Library and Information Sciences at the University of North Texas and the School of Library and Information Studies at Texas Woman’s University. Mary E. Bogan added that she could visit the School of Library and Information Management at Emporia State University. Agnes commented that she could visit a library school which is not far from Michigan State University.

David Lincove recommended that HSEC members could go to ten library schools and report to the HSEC meeting. Jen added that talking points are needed. Jack stated that funds would be needed for promotional materials and shipping. He questioned the limits of funding. David Lincove remarked that funding for “New Initiatives” would be separate from program funding. He added that the ALA Endowment is down 25%. “Membership is down a bit.”

Agnes recommended a competition among History Section members to do research. The HSEC could be applied to for funds for an History Section member to speak at a program. The competition could be on history-l. It would be an incentive to encourage librarians to join RUSA and the History Section.

Susan mentioned David Tyckoson’s money. Russ commented that money from ALA is a grant for a one year project. David Lincove said that all three projects could be done within one year. He inquired if the HSEC wanted to submit the three proposals. Jack said there is more than $11,000 in the RUSA budget for the initiatives. Janice recommended submitting the three proposals since only one of them might be funded. David Lincove commented that two or three proposals might be funded. Jen stated that it is important to have an accurate brochure available first.

David Lincove said that the “New Initiatives” projects, which are funded, would be announced at the RUSA award ceremony so that it would be an honor to have a project funded. Agnes added that it would be published in Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ). She commented that not much money is available at the university where she is employed for research. Greg Eow recommended including undergraduate students in History when library schools are visited.

David Lincove announced that at the RUSA Board of Directors meetings, shortening the conferences was discussed. According to hearsay, most people seem to agree that the ALA Midwinter Meeting is not needed. ALA is committed to Midwinter Meetings until 2021. Ann inquired what would happen if ALA cancelled a Midwinter Meeting. Russ commented that the attendance could double for the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston. He added that the 2012 ALA Annual Conference would be in Anaheim not Orlando.

Within thirty days, program handouts and audiovisuals should be put on the web per request from Neal Wyatt.

Chris Cieslak, the RUSA Webmaster, talked to the RUSA Board of Directors about the problems with the website and why it doesn’t work. People complain about the website and things that disappear. ALA does something down the line and it affects the RUSA website. “Chris spoke about the web page changes and said that he will make various improvements after Midwinter. He will separate RUSA’s site from its close tie to ALA’s site. This will bring more stability to RUSA pages. Most use of the RUSA site is related to professional development. Chris plans to improve communications with section webmasters.” There is nothing that he can do about the slow updating.

David L. Langenberg remarked that navigation is a problem. Jen commented that she checks the website every day. David Lincove stated that we are locked into the software. He reported that Chris intends to improve communication with the ALA Webmaster. David Lincove said that Neal set the period from February 2-16 to examine the website. Comments about the new ALA Website should be sent to Barb.

Carla Rickerson commented about problems with the 2009 Ala Midwinter Meeting schedule. Susan related that she had problems with the event planner for the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

David Lincove explained that pages for ALA Sections would have the middle column for content and the right hand column would be eliminated.

He reported that virtual meetings and memberships are in the talking phase. They could continue to have some virtual members on a committee. Not all members on a committee would be virtual. There is a “need to redefine committee membership. Virtual meetings require strong chairs to organize and complete work.” The ABC-Clio Online History Award Committee is meeting virtually. The Genealogical Publishing Company Award committee’s work could be done virtually. David Lincove said that the Historical Materials Committee decided not to meet at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. He asked Neal about this. All the committees could do this. It is not clear if RUSA has to have the Midwinter Meeting.

David Lincove reported on the RUSA Board of Directors meeting. “Nancy Huling asked for more ideas for courses. Four discussion groups will be recorded at Midwinter, and if possible will be mounted at the RUSA website. The RUSA website should have more content. The RUSA wiki is not working well. RUSA-l listserv has about 20% of RUSA members registered.” The RUSA Board of Directors “approved a task force for library advocacy.” There was a “discussion of ALA’s website.” He also reported that there was a “discussion of the national issue about book ink having possible toxic properties due to lead. ALA will seek clear exemption for books.” There was also a “discussion of virtual programs at ALA Annual.”. ALA “presidential candidates spoke at the meeting” of the RUSA Board of Directors.

There was a discussion about the number of people registered for the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. There is anecdotal evidence that fewer people came to the meeting. The relationship to the economy was mentioned. The East Coast has a higher concentration of people so it is expected that more people will attend the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston. Cities in warmer locations like San Diego and San Antonio also attract more attendees to ALA Midwinter Meetings.

David Lincove wondered about whether chairs of committees could be virtual. Susan remarked that membership in ALA could drop because of too many meetings. A virtual meeting can be held on OPAL. Meetings are too expensive on the phone. Russ commented that he had used OPAL to give a talk. David Lincove said that ACRL uses Illuminate software for conference calls. There are possibilities for virtual meetings using the phone or web-based software.

Russ explained that the Family History Department is spread out around the world. Software, hardware and microphones are used for meetings but they don’t see each other. Ann mentioned a document from RUSA Technology Task Force, A Work Group Exploring RUSA’s Digital Future which mentions tools for virtual meetings. David Lincove commented that this is an ongoing issue. Virtual meetings will be considered conference by conference.

Carla inquired if RUSA could decide to go virtual. David Lincove responded that is not known. Jack wondered what constitutes a virtual meeting. David Lincove responded that everyone in the group would be together electronically. Immediate back and forth communication could be lacking. It could be done through e-mail. Jeannette commented that meetings are supposed to be open. Minutes need to be taken. David Lincove stated that all meetings are open except those regarding awards. He wondered if minutes of the latter type of meeting are ever published.

Jack explained that OPAL can be archived on the web. All chairs could save all minutes and put them on the web. Jeannette recommended that meetings could be posted in advance and visitors could be allowed.

Greg said that strong feelings had been expressed on a committee regarding not being a member of ALA if it meant having to attend two Midwinter Meetings/Annual Conferences each year. It should involve attending only one Midwinter Meeting/Annual Conference since attendance at two of these is not sustainable. One Midwinter Meeting/Annual Conference could be face to face. All business could be conducted virtually. Greg expressed concern that the committee will disintegrate.

Susan commented that a core group could meet at one conference and do business virtually. Members could be given an option to meet live at one conference and not at the other conference. Agnes commented that chairs would be the only ones who could afford to come.

Janice added that ALA is a volunteer organization. Not many employers send personnel to two ALA Conferences per year. Greg said that all official business could be conducted virtually. Susan stated that program planning would be impacted. Less business would be conducted. The focus would be on programs. Standards and guidelines would be sent ahead of the conference. These documents would not be edited line by line like they used to be.

David Lincove said that the HSEC meeting would be on Monday morning for two hours instead of four hours on Tuesday morning. The agenda will need to be considered. David L. Langenberg commented that the HSEC used to meet for a total of four hours. Agnes said that more would have to be done in the two hour meeting on Saturday. Russ commented that a committee doesn’t have to meet the entire time for which the room is scheduled. David Lincove added that it would depend on how the discussion goes. A time slot of 8-10 a.m. could be requested. Russ remarked that travel arrangements need to be made. David Lincove said that the schedule of meetings for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference could change on February 6. Plane reservations are not made yet. Susan remarked that the HSEC could actually meet 8-10:30 a.m. on Monday, July 13 or a time slot of 8:30-10:30 a.m. could be requested. Jeannette said that the meeting would need to be held at the time printed in the program because of the open guest policy. David Lincove stated that it would be better to schedule for two hours.

Russ moved that we meet at the Chicago Conference, 8-10 on Monday morning. Susan seconded. The unanimous vote by the HSEC approved the motion. There will be no breaks at the meeting in Chicago. Reports from Committees will be submitted virtually.

After a break, discussion resumed. Carla said that some reports need time for discussion. She stated that Neal had changed the charges of the RUSA Professional Development Committee. David Lincove said that there could be limited discussion. Time needs to be devoted to the New Initiatives.

David Tyckoson visited the HSEC meeting as a guest. He said that ALA Conferences are solid for the next five years. Business should be done at the ALA Annual Conference. Programming should be increased and committee meetings should be discontinued at the ALA Midwinter Meeting.

Ann remarked that lots of small rural libraries are not able to have personnel attend ALA Conferences. Information can be put on the ALA website when ALA Connect is functional. David Lincove inquired when ALA Connect would be operational. David Tyckoson replied that it would be working in the next six months. Continuing Education courses could be offered.

David Lincove said that three minutes would be allowed for each report. There would be one additional minute for discussion after each report.

  1. History Section Nominating Committee (Agnes Widder)

    Chairperson Agnes Widder reported in an e-mail that the History Section Nominating Committee did not meet at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Agnes and the committee members, Janice and Jen, conferred by email and phone calls. They recommended candidates to run for History Section offices on the 2009 ALA Ballot. Agnes “contacted the individuals, mostly by phone, to see if they would be willing to serve.” The committee selected the following slate of candidates:
     
    Vice Chair/Chair Elect
    Ron Burdick
    Janalyn Moss
     
    Secretary
    Shelley Arlen
    Jack Simpson
     
    Member at Large
    Mary E. Bogan
    Kirsten Steele
     
    Christina Maria (Tina) Beaird
    Sara R. Williams

    Kirsten and Sara volunteered through history-l.

    In her evaluation of the committee’s work, Agnes stated, “I should have divided up the work more equally between the three committee members, then I wouldn’t have had so much of it to do myself and the work would have been accomplished in a more timely way.”

    In addressing problems experienced by the committee, Agnes commented, “Because of the economy and people fearing that they might not have travel money to come to ALA it was more difficult to find people willing to run for office than it has been before. And it has never been easy. Only 3 of the names that we had recruited appeared on the ballot for member at large. There was a write-in candidate slot. This must mean that one of these 4 candidates, while having agreed to run, did not submit the necessary bio sketch and/or form or that I made a mistake. I am sorry about that. I thought I’d sent everyone the correct link and directions on email. That said, I do think the links to fill out the candidate bio form and the narrative of concerns did work ok.”

  2. Instruction and Research Services Committee (Greg Eow)

    “History in the Age of Google” is the title of the program which the committee will be presenting at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Mike Kelly and Rod Gavin are two of the speakers. Greg asked if he or David Lincove should be the moderator. David Lincove responded that it should be someone on the committee. The set up should include separate microphones. David Lincove recommended coordinating marketing the program with Liz. Agnes encouraged Greg to send a release to hist-l and H-HistBibl as well as Library Instruction Round Table (LIRT). RBMS should be asked to co-sponsor the program.

    Creating a Research Competencies Document was discussed. Other documents could be gathered and the research competencies document could be completed by 2010. Jeannette remarked that it could become a standard and guideline. David Lincove explained that there is a template. Janice commented that it could be a way of reaching out to other librarians who can’t come to ALA Conferences.

    Janice bought up the issue of making sure that the History Section has a presence in developing the Guide to Reference database. David L. Langenberg said that he would not be continuing as the Editor for Genealogy. The HSEC committee wants to be sure that the best sources are in this data base. David Lincove stated that there is a call for editors. He said that he would re-send the relevant e-mail. Agnes attended the meeting about the Guide to Reference. Bob Kieft is the Editor. Denise Bennett is a member of the Editorial Review Board.

  3. Genealogy Committee (Janice Schultz)

    “The Genealogy Committee discussed if we should rewrite The Librarian’s Genealogy Notebook, which had last been published by ALA in 1998. It was decided it would not be feasible to do this as a committee. We discussed how to reach out to librarians who cannot attend ALA meetings. Those possibilities discussed were: posting the best genealogy reference books on the website, coming up with more online classes, and creating technical papers to be posted on the RUSA website. Time was also spent sharing news from members.”

  4. Local History Committee (Russ Lynch)

    The Retired Librarians Oral History Project was discussed. There are ten librarians whom the committee would like to interview. Three interviews will be worked on before the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. Russ needs to figure out a process. Ways to communicate with History Librarians and to use History were discussed.

    According to the e-mailed minutes of the committee meeting, Russell Lynch will not continue serving on the committee after this year because of a position change at the Family History Library.

    Librarians whom the committee is considering interviewing for the Oral History Program for Retired Librarians are:
     
    Martha Henderson (who was assigned to Janice to interview)
    Maria Ottilla Koel
    Joyce Jelks
    Ray Wright (who was assigned to Russ to interview)
    Judith P. Roach
    Sam Boldrick
    Joanne Kosanke (who was assigned to Ann to interview)
    Diane Carothers (who was assigned to Ann to interview)
    Don Brown (who was assigned to Ann to interview)
    Charles King
    Linda McCleary
    Gunther Pohl

    The Local History Committee will be responsible for the History Section Program at the 2011 ALA Annual Conference. At the 2009 ALA Annual Conference, the committee will brainstorm ideas for the program. Ideas discussed for the program were “Educate librarians on how to sustain a volunteer program” and “Historical Maps & Geography with MAGERT.” At the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting, the committee needs to “shore up” the plan for the program. At the 2010 ALA Annual Conference, the committee needs “to have the proposal ready and discuss speakers (or prepare a call for papers).”

    The committee discussed preparing “a skill set for history librarians” and coordinating “better with AASLH, AHA, ALA-Godort, ALA-Magert.”

    Russ reported on the Genealogy and Local History Section Preconference at the 2008 IFLA Congress in Ottawa, Canada. Janice inquired about ““Local History’ collection development policies” in libraries. The Midwest Genealogy Center “had to cut back on purchasing. Many libraries collect for their county, county histories for their state, and state histories. (The only thing for other states is a state history.)”

    The committee also discussed digitizing books and creating “a list of resources for digital books. Internet archive, Google books, OCA (Open Content Alliance)” were included in the discussion.

    Russ will “create a Local History Library Group in Facebook.”

  5. Historical Materials Committee (Brooke Becker) (written report, also summarized in the HSEC meeting of January 24, 2009 minutes)

    The committee held virtual meetings. Twenty-one print and electronic resources were selected and evaluated for the fall 2009 issue of RUSQ. The timeline was reviewed. The goals and manual of the committee are being revised.

    This committee will be responsible for the History Section Program at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference. The program will be focused on digital state archives in states including California and Illinois. Carla said that the topic for the program needs to get in the pipeline for RUSA approval.

  6. Genealogical Publishing Company Award (Mary Mannix)

    Carla said that Mary, who was not at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, had e-mailed that she was working with two potential candidates. The committee did not meet at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. According to the January 22, 2009 Committee Report from Mary Mannix, the committee would be making its decision the next week. “The committee does much, if not all of its work minus attending the Award Ceremony, virtually. Due to a lack of new nominations, we extended the deadline. The extension was posted on Genealib and RUSA-l, and forwarded to HistBibl. (I don’t think he posted it, however, and it will not be the first time HistBibl ignored an announcement for this award.) The RUSA office is aware of our time frame. We have one ‘old’ nomination. Nominations are active for two years, as you are aware, and there is one new nomination on its way. They are both very worthy candidates. This time I did not receive any mailings from the RUSA office at all. We will announce our winner to the Executive Committee the first week of February.”

  7. Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee

    David Lincove commented that the committee meeting was chaired by Tina. Janice added that at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston, the title of the preconference will be “Behind the Genealogy Reference Desk: Where Everybody Knows Your Name.”

    At the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, there is a $500 limit for an offsite location for preconferences. Russ inquired about what had been paid in the past for offsite locations. Janice responded that the committee had charges of up to $2000. The Alamo charged $1500. David Lincove commented about vendor support. Janice explained that one site in Chicago charges $500 for the site but there is an additional charge of $2000 for set up at the site. Jeannette commented about shuttle buses.

    Janice said that the theme “From Lincoln Logs to Linkin’ Families” was Russ’ idea. Susan commented that “it’s a visual.”

    David Lincove inquired about a free session on Thursday. Janice replied that Tina is looking into that. The Genealogy Committee could do a program. David Lincove commented about people complaining that the Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee wants to have offsite locations, wants money, wants to hold free programming or wants to do something special. Susan responded that RUSA wants outreach and to get more members. Janice added that if the registration fee for the preconference was cut in half, the attendance could double. Jeannette said that librarians, who are not members, will come to the preconference. Janice commented that the librarians could get credit for coming. She added that approval, speakers and publicity are not a problem. Ann recommended that David Lincove propose having the registration fee for the genealogy preconference cut in half. Janice commented that the fee is $95 minimum. David Lincove said that RUSA viewed the genealogy preconference as a fundraiser. Janice responded that twice as many people could be educated. Jack added that $45 could be charged and that $95 is a lot to pay. Susan stated that the Mid Atlantic Regional Archives Conference charges $60 for a full day conference. David Lincove suggested that the price charged should be related to the cost of the program not what RUSA wants to earn.

  8. Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group (Ron Burdick)

    Twenty-seven people attended the discussion forum promoting digitization of historical materials to expose hidden collections and collaborative approaches presented by Liz Bischoff on Saturday, January 24, 4-5:30 p.m. David Lincove commented that the session was videotaped as an experiment. RUSA wants more suggestions of sessions to be videotaped. Janice recommended that the genealogy preconference could be videotaped. David Lincove recommended that a microphone should be available to be passed around to attendees who are asking questions. Ron said that he will pass on the information. Shelley said that it should be freely available on the RUSA website. David Lincove added that there should be a link for the History Section website.

  9. History Librarians Discussion Group

    The session was held Sunday, January 25, 4-5:30 p.m. with thirty-two people. The “general focus was on how to make our reference materials and primary sources attractive in this Facebook age. Three suggestions stand out: 1) Have to meet the public/students/users where they are. Institutional Facebook pages with fans who link. 2) Have a YouTube presence to show off materials or instructional mini- webinars. 3) Use open source/shareware like Delicious (formerly del.icio.us) a social bookmarking.”

    Russ commented on the sessions by this discussion group being good at the 2008 and 2009 ALA Midwinter Meetings. Susan is willing to chair the discussion group through 2010.

    Kathy will send an e-mail to all the History Section members whose terms expire in 2009.

  10. RUSA ABC-CLIO Online History Award Committee (Shelley Arlen)

    The committee chose a winner and two runners up. Shelley will work with Liz regarding the publicity. There were only ten nominations this year in contrast to seventy nominations last year. Concern was expressed about the decline in nominations. David Lincove recommended that it needs to be publicized more broadly. Shelley said that it should be advertised in local history newsletters. Agnes recommended that the award by listed in various directories of awards and websites. Jeannette said that it should be included in the annual directory of awards and prizes. Carla stressed that the call for nominations is important. Shelley agreed that most of the work is on the call for nominations. She said that there is a flyer at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. David Lincove recommended sending it to every relevant listserv. Agnes recommended history networks. David Lincove added museum and genealogy.

  11. RUSA Organization Committee (new name: RUSA Organization and Planning Committee) (Carla Rickerson)

    The committee has the new charge to “advise, review, and monitor the RUSA Strategic Plan” annually in addition to continue to review the RUSA sections and committees. The new name of the committee will be the RUSA Organization and Planning Committee. RSS and MARS Committees are being reviewed this year. Plans of committees and sections in five year plans are being studied. “The committee discussed what was meant by the charge to suggest new action items, directions, objectives, and strategies and how we should proceed.” Should they look at strategic planning or just action items?

    This last year, several clarifications were made to the letter sent to Sections when they come up for review, and a new schedule was adopted for Section reviews. The new material has been posted to the RUSA Toolkit.

    In the letter Dave recommended the membership of the Committee be significantly expanded to include a Past President and members of the Membership, Publications, Professional Development, and Standards and Guidelines committees. The section representatives would continue as Committee members.” There are sixteen to twenty people on the committee.

  12. History Section Website; RUSA Access to Information Committee (David L. Langenberg)

    The RUSA Access to Information includes all RUSA committee webmasters. David L. Langenberg has seen the first draft of the report from Mary Popp. Input is being solicited. The Chair of the RUSA Access to Information Committee sent a note in which one sentence regarding access to information was nailed down: “Open access to information is a basic human right.”

  13. RUSA Conference Program Coordinating Committee (Mary Mannix)

    Since Mary did not attend the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, Tina attended this committee meeting. There is no deadline for institute programs. The deadline for new program requests is April 1 to May 1.

  14. RUSA Membership Committee (Ann Reinert)

    101 should be done away with and socials should be held. Someone does not want the committee to exhibit in the Pavilion.

    The Membership Ad Hoc Committee, which consists of Ann, Jack, Jen and Jeannette, met on Monday, January 26 in the morning. A link needs to be developed for the ALA website that would go from Google to the RUSA website to the History Section website. A list of experts and a current best sources list need to be accessible without a password and user name. David Lincove commented that not everything requires a password. Ann recommended that the History Section should have its own blog. Jack recommended that there be an online video course. A way of reaching out to History Section members and people wanting help needs to be developed. Ann said that the ad hoc committee would work on a clearinghouse for the 2009 ALA Annual Conference.

    WHAT ARE/SHOULD WE DO TO ADD VALUE TO HISTORY SECTION MEMBERSHIP FOR LIBRARIANS NOT ATTENDING THE ALA CONFERENCES? Jeannette said that a new History Librarian could find History Librarianship a big intimidating field. What the History Section could offer a new History Librarian could be included. There could be a list of volunteers which the new History Librarian could contact for information on a specific History field such as Egyptian History. Agnes asked if this couldn’t be assigned to a committee and if the RUSA Board of Directors does this.

    Ann responded that the Ad Hoc Membership Committee could work on this and it could be standardized later. The Ad Hoc Membership Committee could be kept for a while. A proposal could be given to David Lincove. Agnes and Greg volunteered to work on it. Jen said that a blog could be set up. Jeannette added that blogs could be set up for the group and the public. Jack recommended that someone could be appointed to be responsible for the blog(s) for one or two years. People using the blog could discover us and link back. There could be an official position for the person responsible for the blog(s). Jen said that there could be a blog for everyone. Susan asked if it could be done through e- mail. She said that you can edit in a Google g-mail account. Ann will set up an e-mail list. David Lincove will set up the History Section e-mail list. Ann will compose the document.

  15. RUSA Nominating Committee (Vou Vyhnanek, Mary Mannix)

    David Lincove stated that Lou Vyhnanek volunteered to serve on the RUSA Nominating Committee. Mary Mannix received an e-mail and said that the work was done. Barbara did not respond. The committee was not scheduled to meet. Kathy will make an appointment. Agnes asked about what RUSA says about the RUSA Nominating Committee.

  16. RUSA Planning and Finance Committee (Kathy Strauss, Jack Simpson)

    Jack reported that the ALA Endowment lost money. $50,000 is usually contributed to the ALA Endowment by RUSA but it probably won’t be done this year. Ideas to make more money are needed. More online courses should be offered. Jack enjoys teaching the online genealogy course. “New Initiatives” are due by May 1.

  17. RUSA Professional Development Committee (Michelle Enke)

    Kathy and Carla attended the meeting since Michelle didn’t attend the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Things could be put up on commercial websites. Webinars and podcasts could be done at the RUSA level. There was discussion about the section level as well as about making money and offering more courses. The teachers of the courses aren’t paid adequately. Courses should be more expensive. All kinds of technology should be used for professional development. At the section level, the expertise is available. There was a question about the source of funding.

  18. RUSA Publications Committee (Jen Tellman)

    High-impact content will be put up on the website. Written or other content should be given to the RUSA Publications Committee so the content can be made available for members of RUSA. Susan commented about a place to put expert content. Jen will send out that information. Jeannette inquired about a place to send the information. David Lincove commented that there are proposed changes to RUSA Update.

    Agnes recommended mining the Internet for writings of members of the History Section. An article by Agnes was published in Michigan Historical Review. Members” published writings and speeches could be highlighted. Jen added that anything highlighted at meetings such as guidelines could be included. She also mentioned the RUSA blog on the RUSA front page. David Lincove added that there is no new information on that page. Jen commented that the blog is not very visible.

  19. RUSA Standards and Guidelines Committee (Jeannette Pierce for Susan Malbin)

    Most of the committee”s work was done virtually. Chairs need to be reminded about pending standards and guidelines. The Genealogy Guideline was approved. “Guidelines for Establishing a Core Genealogy Collection” were approved in 2007.

    Jen said that the section webmasters may want to attend the RUSA Publications Committee meeting. David L. Langenberg said that the Chair of the Committee seemed reluctant about the webmasters attending a meeting.

  20. Liaison to the New Members Round Table (NMRT) (Jack Simpson)

    Jack said that the RUSA liaisons will report back to the HSEC.

    Carla mentioned the program focusing on state archives. David L. Langenberg said that state and regional archives should be included. David Lincove suggested that there should be a variety of speakers who should present not just on how we did something. Agnes added that which technologies are best as well as how people might get trained through continuing education organizations should be included.

David Lincove thanked everyone for the work which they had done. The HSEC members thanked David Lincove for his work.

The meeting adjourned about 12 noon.