RUSA History Section Executive Committee

2009 ALA Annual Conference – Chicago, IL

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Present: David Lincove (Chair), Shelley Arlen (Incoming Secretary), Brooke Becker, Mary E. Bogan (Recorder), Angela Bonnell, Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick, David L. Langenberg (Webmaster), Russell (Russ) Lynch, Susan Malbin, Mary Mannix, Jeannette Pierce, M. Ann Reinert, Carla Rickerson, Janice Schultz, Jack Simpson, Kathleen (Kathy) Strauss (Vice Chair), Jennalyn (Jen) Tellman, Agnes Widder (Past Chair)

  1. Introductions

    Members of the History Section Executive Committee (HSEC) introduced themselves.

  2. Meeting Highlight Form

    David Lincove talked about the meeting highlight form which should be submitted by committee chairs within ten days of the committee meeting. Mary E. Bogan should be provided with a written summary of the report.

  3. Announcement from the Chair

    David Lincove reported that Greg Eow, Chair of the Instruction and Research Services Committee, which is responsible for the History Section Program, is ill with pneumonia. Doctors told him that he shouldn’t travel so he would not be attending the conference.

  4. David Lincove thanked Mary E. Bogan for her efforts. The minutes were approved by acclamation with a clarification by David Langenberg. Mary E. Bogan will revise the minutes and re-send them to the members of the History Section Executive Committee. David Langenberg will revise the minutes which he re-formatted and posted on the History Section Website.

  5. Announcements

    History Section Dinner. David Lincove announced that the dinner will be on Sunday, July 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the Italian Village at 71 West Monroe Street, Chicago, IL 60603. The website URL is http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com There are reservations for 30 people. The contract with the Italian Village states that 28 people need to show up. If the number of people falls below 28, the no shows will need to be paid for by someone. Those attending the dinner can pay for their dinners with credit cards.

    RUSA Awards Event. David Lincove announced that the event will be held on Monday, July 12 from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. in the Grant Ballroom E/Fat the Hyatt Regency Chicago. The ABC CLIO Online History Award will be presented. Ruth A. Carr, the Rose Librarian for Public Service at the New York Public Library will be the recipient of the Genealogical Publishing Company Award. The presentation of the awards is being streamlined. Those elected to offices in the 2009 ALA RUSA election will be introduced.

     

    Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group. The discussion group will meet on Saturday, July 11, 10:30 a.m. – 12 noon in the Lake Erie Room in the Chicago Hilton. Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick stated that the topic will be Using Different Media to Promote Genealogy and Local History. It will cover how to deal with the current economic situation. There was a comment that the Convention Center at McCormick Place is the only place where ALA is paying for Internet access at the conference.

    Report on the Genealogy Preconference on Friday, July 10. The Genealogy Preconference was held in the Sheraton Hotel. There were 34 in attendance. 22 attendees paid. There were 6 speakers who didn’t have to pay. Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee members did not have to pay. 24 people had pre-registered but 2 did not show up for the preconference. No one walked in for the preconference. The food was expensive. The meeting room at the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) in Boston will accommodate 90 people. There will be a tour. There is no problem with internet reception at NEHGS. The proposal for the genealogy preconference at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, DC has been approved.

    Report on Preparations for HS 2009 Program, Sunday, July 12. Instruction and Research Services Committee – Greg Eow. Greg is ill and could not attend the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. David Murray will chair the program. The three speakers are Ginny Presnell of Miami University, Michael Kelly of New York University and a Senior Vice President at ProQuest. RUSA plans to videotape the program and post it on the RUSA website with a link to the History Section Website. The History Section Program at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, which was videotaped, was not found on the website by David Langenberg. The RUSA Award Presentation at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting was posted on the website.

    Conflicts of meetings and programs were mentioned.

  6. Report on HS Program for ALA Annual 2010

    HS program: Historical Materials Committee – Brooke Becker. Brooke Becker reported that the program proposal has been approved. Digitizing State Archives Materials is the theme. There will be three or four speakers about funding, management, advertising, end results and user studies. The committee meets in the afternoon of July 11.

    David Lincove reported that the application for $800 in funding has been approved. There was a vote on the whole package. Mary Mannix commented that the committee may not get $800. Angela Bonnell commented that the funds might be divided.

    Cosponsorship of Samuel Ullman film with EMIERT. Application made to the RUSA Program Committee. David Lincove said that the film showing was approved after much discussion by the RUSA Conference Program Planning Committee. They needed to make sure that they have reproduction rights and that they do not have to pay for those rights.

    The choice of time blocks for the program was 90 minutes or 4 hours. They got a 4 hour time block so there would be 1 hour for the film showing and 1 hour for discussion. They expect that the program will not last longer than 2 hours.

    There is an ad hoc program committee. Brooke Becker, who lives in Birmingham and knows Margaret England Armbrester, author of the biography entitled Samuel Ullman and “Youth”: The Life, the Legacy, who will speak at the program, and Ellen Zyroff of the Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT) are members of the committee. Brooke works at the University of Alabama at Birmingham where there is a museum dedicated to Samuel Ullman.

    The program, One Poem Enriching Lives Across the Globe: Samuel Ullman, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, and “Youth” will be held in the afternoon of Sunday, June 27.

     

    The regular History Section Program is in the morning. There was a discussion about when the History Section Program had been held in the past.

  7. Communications

    RUSA Update (History Section part) – Jennalyn Tellman. Jen reported that the responsibility of the History Section Representative is to attend RUSA Publication Committee meetings and solicit quarterly for RUSA Update. Back issues are archived. The Representative checks with History Section Committee Chairs about announcements, awards and workshops for inclusion in RUSA Update. She questioned if the History Section activities are underreported. David Langenberg will succeed her as History Section Representative to the RUSA Publicity Committee.

    David Lincove inquired about what should be included in RUSA Update and whether the Chair of the History Section should have an article in every issue. There was a comment that the Chair of the History Section used to write for every issue. Jeannette Pierce said that highlights of the ALA Annual Conference and ALA Midwinter Meeting as well as information about awards should be included. Jen asked the Chairs what should be reported. Agnes Widder responded that information about the History Section Dinner, a reminder to sign up on History-l, as well as a list of the History Section discussion groups and an invitation to “come and share” should be included. Janice added that information about committees should be included.

    There was discussion about the ALA web site and its limitations.

    History Section/RUSA web sites – Comments and Suggestions? David Langenberg thanked Executive Committee members for sending updates on rosters and other information. Unfortunately, he does not control “left navigation stuff.” Janice commented that 1999 guidelines for Developing Beginning Genealogical Collections have not been replaced by the more recent guidelines on the RUSA web site David Langenberg said that Chris Cieslak, the RUSA Webmaster, would meet with all section webmasters in RUSA that evening. Ann Reinert thanked David Langenberg for his work as History Section Webmaster. He commented that things move along gradually. Collage is a challenge. He can commit to serving as History Section Webmaster for another year at least.

    David Lincove announced that all members of RUSA could meet Susan Hornung, the new Executive Director of RUSA, at 1:45 p.m. in Room 193A of the Convention Center.

    Russ said that file formats can be accepted for inclusion on the History Section/RUSA web sites. David Langenberg said that RTF is easier to mark up and images should be submitted as JPEGs. Photographs can be submitted.

    David Lincove reported that David Langenberg was attending the RUSA Access to Information Meeting since Kathy Strauss was still looking for someone to serve as the representative from the History Section on that Committee. Angela said that she could serve for one year. Jen commented that it’s a two year term.

    Agnes inquired if other sections are having problems when committees come up for review. David Langenberg commented that the Chair of the Access to Information Committee had resigned. He said that he would attend the meeting of the committee and report at the second History Section Executive Committee meeting on July 13.

    History-L (190 subscribers as of 6/29/09 [171 in mid-January]). David Lincove stated that there were 192 subscribers currently. He added that more publicity is needed about History-L. Mary Mannix recommended sending publicity to genealib. Agnes added that publicity could be sent to H-Histbibl and to colleagues. Janice commented that a call for volunteers for committee members could be on History-L.

    David Lincove commented that some signed up for the History Section Dinner because of the announcement on history-l. Susan recommended sending publicity to the archives listserv.

    HS brochure (revisions) – Jeannette Pierce. Jeannette reported that the new brochure will not be ready until July 13. David Langenberg said that he needs the brochure in PDF. Ann added that the old brochure was available at the Membership Meeting. Discussion of the revised History Section brochure was deferred to the History Section Executive Committee Meeting on July 13.

    Liz Markel had said that they would incorporate as much as possible of the revisions but not graphics. The revised brochure was not back from the printer yet.

    ALA Connect. Janice commented that ALA Connect has a “Facebook-like feel.” David Lincove added that it’s a place to have a meeting in real time. Janice said that it’s a forum for e-participation task forces. She added that it could also be used as a blog for postings and comments on the postings. Janice explained that you can’t hear everyone’s voices. ALA had sent an e-mail about ALA Connect.

    Susan had seen an e-mail about GoToMeeting. She commented about losing revenue from registrations. Janice commented that a virtual conference costs $121. She read to the group from the e-mail about ALA Connect.

    Jeannette stated that it is hard to keep up with committees. We have to go through the webmaster. Others could see what we are doing.

    Janice said that it could be discussed in the Genealogy Committee Meeting. David Langenberg stated that it could replace or enhance the intranet and add content. Angela added that the RUSA Professional Development Committee posts agendas on ALA Connect. Jeannette commented that the web site has permanent information and could link to ALA Connect for current information.

    There was discussion about the E-Participation Task Force. A comment was made that ALA is not willing to pay for Internet access in hotels. The technology is not available in all the places where the meetings are held at the ALA Annual Conference and the ALA Midwinter Meeting. ALA is doomed at the Midwinter Meeting if librarians don’t receive funding from their institutions to attend. ALA members may not be willing to pay to attend virtually. Janice commented that she wants the full conference experience, interacting with her colleagues and in the exhibit hall. Mary Mannix added that we would “pay to serve.” Janice agreed. She would be willing to pay to attend a virtual program but not a meeting. Shelley Arlen said that she would not be willing to pay. Jack inquired if employers would be more willing to pay for virtual attendance.

    Susan commented on the importance of committee service for those in tenure track or tenured positions. Mary Mannix cited the importance of learning objectives and CEUs. She would not be willing to serve on a committee. Janice said that librarians would probably have to pay. Jen added that in Arizona, librarians get some funding to attend. In the past, librarians received funding only if they served on committees. Funding from institutions may disappear next year.

    Janice stated that ALA is locked into conferences through 2021. There was a comment that we might meet as holograms. Janice explained that most Board meetings of the Missouri Library Association are transmitted to four sites in Missouri where the Board members go to virtually attend the meetings. She cited decreased attendance at the ALA Midwinter Meeting.

  8. Applications Made for RUSA “New Initiatives”

    David Lincove thanked Jen and Agnes for their work on the applications. Janice’s application is delayed.

    Agnes Widder, funding for History Section to offer a $3000 research grant each year. Agnes explained that she looked at other grant proposals from the community of sciences to try to get funds for a member of the History Section to do research in accessing and using history materials. An award committee would consider applications for amounts up to $3000 for a research project that would result in a product such as a book, research guide, conference paper or online source. The application would be five pages or less. Criteria for awarding the grant would include what the work is, what the need is, scholarly interest and research design.

    A report of what had been accomplished would be submitted. There would be a presentation at a research forum organized by the History Section Executive Committee at the ALA Conference following the expenditure of the grant. Publishing the results would be encouraged. It would be a one time grant to offset travel, copying, copyright expenses, equipment, office supplies, etc. After trying this out once, a vendor would be sought to fund the grant on a regular basis.

    David Lincove commented on the wonderful proposal. He inquired how awarding the grant would be determined. Having the History Section Executive Committee be the selection committee was mentioned. There was discussion about whether the entire History Section Executive Committee should serve or whether members of the History Section Executive Committee would be elected to serve on a committee considering the grant proposals. Having History Section Committee Chairs and Representatives to RUSA constitute the committee was considered. Angela commented that those people could have a vested interest about the recipient of the award. Janice suggested an ad hoc committee.

    Agnes was not in favor of setting up another committee. She suggested that the members at large on the History Section Executive Committee could constitute the committee. The composition of a similar award committee in the Western European Studies Section (WESS) where a vendor gives the award was discussed. Kathy explained about the composition of a Beta Phi Mu Committee. Ann stated that the members at large do not have that many duties. Agnes recommended including service on the award committee as part of the job description for a member at large. Ann added that members of the award committee would not need to be appointed. She commented that members at large are elected to represent the History Section.

    Angela recommended that this discussion should be included in the minutes of the History Section Executive Committee meeting. David Lincove concurred that the minutes will include the discussion. He recommended that the Chair of the History Section, the past Chair of the History Section and members at large be included on the award committee. David Lincove also recommended pursuing a vendor to fund an award and having a named award.

    Agnes mentioned publicizing the research award when it is established. Janice recommended using history-l for that purpose.

    Agnes questioned whether the award would rotate interest-wise among the four areas of general history, local history, genealogy as well as research and instruction. Janice commented that such a rotation would more likely attract academics. No one might apply for the award. She recommended against having an official rotation. David Lincove commented that anyone can apply for the grant.

    Janice remarked that the History Section Executive Committee could reconsider a rotation if there are huge numbers of applications. Angela said that preference could be given to focusing on the different areas in the History Section year to year. The grant should not always go to an applicant in the same area of History. Janice added that diverse subjects should be looked at by the award committee. Jack Simpson commented that the emphasis should be on innovative projects. Angela added that an exhibit should get the minimum amount. Agnes stated that there could be two grants of smaller amounts of money.

    Jen Tellman, funding for HS librarians hosting small gatherings at graduate Library Schools and at History Departments to encourage student to become aware of how they may use a history background as a librarian. Jen sent the proposal for hosting small gatherings in Library Schools and History Departments. Resources such as data bases and brochures could be shared. There could be a brief presentation to organizations or meetings of a student association. A panel discussion could be held. History Librarians could be shadowed. $500 was requested. $400 would be for History Section brochures.

    Emporia State University, Drexel University, the University of Michigan, the University of Arizona, Texas Women’s University, the University of North Texas, Kent State University and the University of Washington could be sites of these gatherings. Theresa Murdock, History Librarian at the University of Washington is Secretary/Treasurer 2009-2010 of the RUSA Executive Committee.

    Janice commented that the person hosting the gathering could furnish the food. She hosts a monthly coffee which costs $30 minimum for refreshments. David Lincove stated that the History Section has access to money. Susan commented that graduate students would come for food. Angela said that how the money is used has to be in the proposal. Jen responded that the deadline is May 1. David Lincove stated that the proposal should ask for flexibility. Angela inquired if David Lincove would be there when the proposal is considered. Jen said that an amendment could be made to the proposal. David Lincove commented that he did not see the proposal on the agendas. Jen asked if she should take to Susan Hornung. Angela replied that approval should be obtained before talking to Susan Hornung. Janice commented about doing it unofficially. David Lincove said to ask about “New Initiatives” and report at the next meeting.

    For future consideration: (Janice Schultz) Funding a table at state library conferences which are attended by History Section Executive Committee members to promote RUSA.

     

  9. Meeting Schedules

    Midwinter 2010—how much virtual? Janice confirmed that the Genealogy Committee will meet. Susan said that CALM – ALA/SAA/AAM Joint Committee unofficially meets on July 12 and that the committee meets at the ALA Midwinter Meeting.

It was announced that Susan is the new Chair of the Local History Committee.

Russ took a photograph of the History Section Executive Committee.

The meeting adjourned at 10 a.m.

Monday, July 13, 2009

David Lincove (Chair), Shelley Arlen (Incoming Secretary), Brooke Becker, Mary E. Bogan (Recorder), Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick, David L. Langenberg (Webmaster), Russell (Russ) Lynch, Susan Malbin, Mary Mannix, Sara Morris, Jeannette Pierce, M. Ann Reinert, Carla Rickerson, Janice Schultz, Jack Simpson, Kathleen (Kathy) Strauss (Vick Chair), Jennalyn (Jen) Tellman, Agnes Widder (Past Chair)

David Lincove requested that copies of the reports be sent to Mary E. Bogan.

Reports from History Section Committees, Discussion Groups. 5 Minutes for Each Report (40 Minutes)

  1. Instruction and Research Services Committee (Greg Eow)

    Greg Eow is ill and was not able to attend the 2009 ALA Annual Conference. The committee’s excellent program was well attended. The Incoming Chair of the Committee moderated the program. Ronald (Ron) L. Burdick saw the program being videotaped. Releases were signed for the videotaping.

  2. Genealogy Committee (Janice Schultz)

    Janice Schultz said that the purpose of the committee is to reach out to librarians doing genealogy.

    There were discussions not related to the reports. Getting updated information to David L. Langenberg for ALA Connect where the History Section has a presence was discussed. David L. Langenberg commented that he can’t touch the rosters. Kathleen (Kathy) Strauss said that the system is messed up and new chairs need to get changes to Chris Cieslak, the RUSA Webmaster.

    There were about 28 in attendance at the History Section Dinner.

  3. Local History Committee (Russell (Russ) Lynch)

    The Local History Committee is responsible for the History Section Program in 2011 in New Orleans. A program, Map Resources 101 for Local Historian is planned. The committee will work with the Public Library Association (PLA). The Maps and Geography Round Table (MAGERT) is also involved. Large and small digitization projects, timelines as well as rural and urban aspects will be covered. The arrangement and size of venue for the 2009 History Section Program was spoken of approvingly. David Lincove said that the room had 100 seats. He remarked about local speakers, perhaps from Tulane University or the Historic New Orleans Collection. The Incoming Chair is from the University of New Orleans. The Oral History Program for interviewing retiring/retired librarians was discussed. Gunther Pohl, who was to be an interview subject, died February 20, 2009. The report was submitted to RUSA. The program was the initiative of Dr. Loriene Roy who was ALA President, 2007 – 2008. There is no information on the ALA Website about the project. It was agreed that the History Section Executive Committee should not wait but should move forward with the project. Guidelines from the Oral History Association would be followed.

  4. Historical Materials Committee (Brooke Becker)

    Brooke Becker talked about the speakers for next year. The International Relations Round Table (IRRT) and Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) will be involved. She talked to MAGERT. Digitizing Your Materials is the theme. Statewide Initiatives will be covered. The Chief Officers of State Library Agencies (COSLA) and the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) will be involved. Danielle Cunniff Plummer, Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative Coordinator, Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Angela of the Pacific Northwest Regional Archives and Lauren Brown of Ancestry were mentioned as speakers. Susan Malbin recommended Emily B. Gore of Clemson University, Co-Chair of the Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS) Digital Preservation Interest Group, and Toby Graham, Director, Digital Library of Georgia at the University of Georgia.

  5. Genealogical Publishing Company Award (Mary Mannix)

    Jennalynn (Jen) Tellman explained that the handbook will be revised this year. The meeting at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting will be virtual. The committee members will be e-mailing. They are looking into software for an actual virtual meeting.

  6. Genealogy Preconference Planning Committee (Mary Mannix)

    Kim Harrison announced that the Genealogy Preconference will be held at the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) in Boston at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting and at the Daughters of the American Revolution Library in Washington, DC at the 2010 ALA Annual Conference.

  7. Genealogy and Local History Discussion Group (Ron Burdick)

    Ron Burdick announced that 24 people had attended the meeting. David White, Genealogy Librarian at the Jacksonville, FL Public Library, presented an overview of Genealogy and Local History as well as how to use the resources. He discussed the economic issues which libraries are facing. There is a list of tutorials on how to do Genealogy and Local History on the library’s web site. Social networking ideas were discussed. Reports on activities were given. Attendance was about the same as it was at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

  8. History Librarians Discussion Group (Susan Malbin)

    Susan reported that this discussion group will meet at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. David Murray, who chaired the History Section program on July 12, is the Incoming Chair.

  9. RUSA board of Directors (David Lincove)

    David reported that the board had met at 1:30 p.m. on July 11. More than 20,000 people had registered for the conference. On July 12, it was reported that 25,000 people including vendors had registered. This was not a record. ALA membership is down 2.8%. There was a question about whether this was related to layoffs. ALA has eliminated 10 positions. ALA staff members have a one week furlough. $1 million is sought for the Spectrum Scholarship Program as an ALA Goal.

    Susan Hornung met with the Board. Questions were posed about what should be maintained and what should be changed as well as what she should do. Good communication is wanted as well as support of membership and New Initiatives. An understanding of the voluntary nature of the work on the part of ALA members is important. The content management system and web pages were discussed as were membership promotion strategies and trends in association management.

    Susan Hornung’s time is divided between RUSA (75%) and ASCLA (25%). Liz Markel’s time is divided 50%/50% between RUSA and ASCLA. Chris Cieslak’s time is divided the same way as Susan Hornung’s time.

    Last year, RUSA had a membership of 52,000 compared to this year’s membership of 47,000 which results in an 8.2% decline in membership which is higher than the 2.8% decline in ALA membership. The RUSA E-Participation Task Force Status Report is not final. Feedback is needed by Celia Ross, Chair of the RUSA E-Participation Task Force.

    There are some resolutions before the ALA Council about which the RUSA representative on ALA Council wanted input on how that person should vote. The resolutions are: (1) Civil marriage regardless of sexual orientation. The Board voted in favor. (2) Purchase access equipment. (3) Access library web sites. (4) Single pair universal health care. The Board voted not in favor. (5) Endorse Senate Bill 703. Members of the History Section Executive Committee expressed the opinion that the latter is too political. There was a comment that the International Relations Round Table (IRRT) would vote only regarding library resolutions involving international issues. (5) Sunday, October 4 as Intergenerational Day. The Board voted not in favor.

    The time of Board meetings continues to be adjusted. The last meeting at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting will be the afternoon of Monday, January 18. The second meeting of the History Section Executive Committee will be on Monday, January 18, 8 – 10 a.m. Janice questioned the time of the History Librarians Discussion Group at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Susan commented that because of the compression of committee meetings, we wouldn’t be able to attend programs at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. The emphasis of the ALA Annual Conference will be professional education.

    Jeannette Pierce inquired about how many committee meetings there would be at the ALA Annual Conference. Janice commented that we attend meetings of committees of which we are not members. Jeannette added that they might not have meetings at the annual conference. David Lincove said that work would be done outside the conferences. Agnes commented about the advantage of physical face-to-face networking.

    Janice said that if a committee doesn’t meet, a library might not send a librarian to the conference. Jack Simpson commented on shorter meetings and having some face-to-face meetings. Ann recommended scheduling all committee meetings at night or at dinner. Jen commented on having committee meetings end by 9 p.m. Janice added that there are only so many nights during the conference.

    Jeannette and Brooke commented on the shorter time for meetings. Agnes Widder stated that we should take advantage of all hours of the day.

    Jeannette remarked that all Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS) meetings will be virtual at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Over time, connections will be lost.

    Jen commented that she may get no support next year. There is some support now. Cost benefit analysis was mentioned. Janice added that there could be a problem getting vendors to come if the attendance is down. Jack said that ALA members would not travel and meet people at conferences. More work would be done on computers. Sara said that one conference a year would be cheaper to attend. She added that the Public Library Association (PLA) dispensed with committees. Membership dropped 17% – 18%.

    .

    Mary Mannix said to watch BRASS. Jeannette commented that there is no rule regarding meetings. David Lincove stated that if a committee doesn’t have to meet at the ALA Midwinter Meeting, it shouldn’t meet.

    Jeannette commented that ALA makes money from conferences to support ALA and pay salaries. ALA can’t exist without dues. David Lincove inquired if things would fall apart. The Chair of the Section would figure out how to keep things moving. The Section would never accomplish anything. If ALA doesn’t meet room blocks, the organization would receive fines.

    Jeannette prefers to meet in person. Susan expressed her interest in mentoring and encouraging new librarians.

    David Lincove remarked that he had made two virtual appointments. Janice commented about a virtual member’s e-mail which doesn’t work. Jeannette remarked about the cost of exhibitors of attending two conferences a year. David Lincove spoke about having a rotation of meetings of committees so they would meet virtually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Russell Lynch suggested that if a committee had a program, a committee meeting would not be needed. Jen recommended a blended approach with some committee members attending the conferences and some committee members serving as virtual committee members and being able to participate even if they can’t come to the conferences. Brooke commented on three people who couldn’t attend the conference. David Lincove spoke about the virtual work of the Genealogical Publishing Company Award Committee. Mary Mannix added a comment about a virtual committee member who didn’t do the work.

    Sara commented on other organizations which have one annual meeting. The Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) is re-thinking its biennial meetings.

    Agnes said that the History Section Nominating Committee is virtual. The experience is lessened for the members of the Historical Materials Committee if they can’t discuss the books together.

    Janice stated that virtual membership is the best solution if librarians can’t attend Genealogy Committee meetings in person. Susan commented on two kinds of virtual meetings: knowing the people and doing the work as opposed to never know and never show which is a virtual joke to list a virtual committee. Janice remarked on being able to be connected to others virtually in a meeting where technology is available in the room so they can listen to each other.

    Ann commented on if a virtual member could come to one meeting a year. Susan remarked on Brooke being here for this conference. It’s hard if a person can never come. Sara commented on some committees being virtual. Susan added that it’s not the paradigm for the History Section. It’s hard to feel commitment when you never see work realized. Mary Mannix commented on the difference between not being able to come and not having to come.

    Jack remarked on those who come to the meetings being “the real people”. Agnes commented on conference calls and using the phone more to conduct committee business. Ann added that the social part would be lost and that there would be less dedication. ALA members would be paying $200 to be a virtual member of committees.

    Janice questioned funding from libraries to support attendance at ALA Annual Conferences and ALA Midwinter Meetings in the future. Brooke commented on more teleconferencing in the future.

    Jen said that many can’t afford to come. She spoke about a friend who chairs a committee. At the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting, all the members had their funding cut.

    Susan recommended needing to plan the program before the 2010 ALA Annual Conference because of the cycle. The Genealogy Committee is responsible for the program at the 2012 ALA Annual Conference.

    Sara commented on meeting face to face being more valuable.

  10. History Section Representatives to RUSA Committees. 5 Minutes for each Report (45 minutes)

    History Section Web site; RUSA Access to Information Committee (David L. Langenberg)

    David L. Langenberg hasn’t met with Chris Cieslak. They are supposed to meet in the afternoon. David L. Langenberg will submit a report in writing about the RUSA Access to Information Committee to the list.

    David Lincove formed the list last summer. Kathy will send the names of those new to the list and names to be removed from the list to Chris Cieslak.

    RUSA Conference Program Coordinating Committee (Mary Mannix)

    Mary Mannix reported that both programs received funding. The Historical Materials Committee received $800 for its program. The Film Program received $1050. Diane Zabel will use $50 for publicity. The program will not last 4 hours as listed for 1:30 – 5:30 p.m. Agnes said that it is advertised as 2 hours because a 1 ½ hour time slot did not provide enough time so a 4 hour time slot was requested. They will try to work out the time for the program.

    RUSA Membership Committee (M. Ann Reinert)

    Ann said that the new History Section brochure is not available. David Lincove stated that the new History Section brochure has the same errors as the previous brochure. Jeannette was told that all the changes couldn’t be made. David Lincove had submitted the requested changes. Comments were made about errors involving the Bibliographies and Indexes Committee and H-HistBibl. David Lincove will follow through about the revised History Section brochure. David L. Langenberg recommended including the date of publication on the brochure. There was a comment about the paper being more expensive.

    Ann attended Membership 101 on Friday. About 30 people including some recent Library School graduates attended. There were no refreshments. Ann liked the reception at the 2009 ALA Midwinter Meeting. They will try to plan a reception for the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. There is no charge for a room in the restaurant. A vendor will donate $5000 for food.

    Janice commented on booths being available in the exhibit hall but Ann didn’t want to be in the exhibit hall. Susan couldn’t find the booth. Mary Mannix explained that it was near the poster sessions. Janice commented that they could talk to more people in the exhibit hall. Ann commented that Janice can do it next year when she is on the committee.

    Ann remarked that there were complaints about ALA Connect. John said that the software company wouldn’t support the software. Sara remarked that ALA Connect is difficult to access. John is trying to get new members by recruiting from Friends Groups and paraprofessionals.

    Ann questioned what virtual membership means since we encourage virtual membership on committees to new members. Agnes recommended promoting membership to book store personnel.

    RUSA Organization Committee (Carla Rickerson)

    Carla said that there was no agenda. All the committee members except for the Chair were present so Carla as the senior member of the committee chaired the meeting. There has been a change of the committee’s charge. Neal Wyatt and Dave Tyckoson met with the committee to clarify the charge which is to make certain that the RUSA Strategic Plan is implemented and provide feedback on whether anything needs to be changed in the Strategic Plan. The committee reviews the Strategic Plan. No letters were sent. A revised letter will need to go to the Board. Carla commented that it is difficult to do reviews virtually. It was disconcerting to have the entire committee present without the Chair. The committee accomplished something but Carla didn’t feel that the committee moved forward in its work.

    RUSA Planning and Finance Committee (Kathleen Strauss, Jack Simpson)

    Jack had no report on the budget. The last report had been done by Barb Macikas. The budget was okay since there are reserves. Usually money is contributed to the Endowment but it wasn’t done this time. None of the Special Initiatives were funded. There was skepticism about funding the research proposal since it is similar to an award. Vendor funding was recommended. It was proposed that a pilot project be presented at the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. It was proposed that there be an annual forum to present the research. The presentation would be at one of the Discussion Groups. There would not be a separate time slot for the forum.

    Money is in the budget to promote membership. It was implemented by Liz Markel. Funds should be available from that budget for Jen’s recommended New Initiative.

    Kathy said that the committee was not excited about the mileage request for Jen’s recommended New Initiative. The copies of the brochures should be provided by RUSA. Food wasn’t brought up. Food probably wouldn’t be funded. A vendor should be pursued. Jen said that the Initiative is worthwhile doing. Jeannette commented about a goal of how many sessions should be done annually.

    Agnes inquired if we should look for a vendor for the research grant. David Lincove said that we should pursue a vendor by the 2010 ALA Midwinter Meeting. Agnes asked about what vendors should be contacted. Ann commented that RUSA has favorite vendors. David Lincove recommended going through the Executive Director of RUSA. Jeannette recommended going to RUSA with a list of vendors. ProQuest was mentioned. Gale is out of bounds. Footnote.com was purchased by EbscoHost and is “big” with ALA. Accessible Archives was also mentioned. Alexander Street press may be the “best bet” since the company is large enough to have the needed money. David Lincove said the ABC-CLIO is up in the air whether it will continue the American History Video series. The company is not doing abstracting. It still does public history. Compton was cut. Readex and Northern Graphics were mentioned.

    There was discussion about the lack of funds from interest on the endowment.

    Professional Development Committee (David Lincove)

    David Lincove will send a report from this committee. Carla has not received statistics or evaluations for the Genealogy Online Course. David Lincove inquired about the purpose of the committee. Ann said that Jack Simpson, who has taught the course, hasn’t received feedback.

    RUSA Publications Committee (Jennalyn Tellman)

    Jen is concerned with meltdown in the committee. It was brought to Susan’s attention in a forceful way because there was no schedule for updates. There is concern about the Resources for Librarians Page on the RUSA web site which needs to be clearer and include expert content. Content not just links should be included. David L. Langenberg migrated Primary Sources in History. Handouts and presentations from the Genealogy Preconferences could be mounted on the web site. There were no handouts for the History Section Program on July 12. The program was videotaped. It had material of value to librarians. Work on a blog was mentioned. RUSQ will go online only. RUSA has a usability users group test site where no one can find anything. Chris Cieslak was supposed to meet with the webmasters.

    RUSA Standards and Guidelines Committee (Susan Malbin)

    The list of RUSA Committees needing appointments, which was given to Kathy, did not include this committee.

    Liaison to the NMRT (New Members Round Table) (Jack Simpson)

    Jack said that there was no report.

    Ann commented on including in the minutes of the meeting, setting up a blog for the Ad Hoc Membership Committee, which met once. Discussion of a virtual meeting can be discussed at the next meeting.

    Mary Mannix commented on Lou Vyhnanek’s report on the Nominating Committee. David Lincove said that they haven’t finished. Lou Vyhnanek will send information for the minutes. They will meet at the food court.

    Agnes commented that BRASS didn’t want us at the booth. Ann commented on the disorganization in RUSA.

The members of the History Section Executive Committee thanked David Lincove for his work in chairing the committee.

The meeting was adjourned at 10 a.m.