Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship
Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship Committee
Established in 1989 by the BRASS Executive Committee.
To administer an annual award recognizing an individual who has distinguished him or her self in the field of business librarianship.
There shall be three to five members appointed by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of BRASS. Members should have a strong knowledge of the accomplishments of librarians in the business reference sector. In addition, members should represent reasonable diversity in both geography and current professional employment.
Terms of Office
Members shall serve for two years, and the term is not renewable. Terms will be staggered. The committee can function as a virtual committee.
- Criteria: The award recipient's contribution may lie in a variety of endeavors, such as: authoring a seminal book or articles in business librarianship; developing an imaginative and successful program centered around business within a library; teaching business librarianship in a particularly creative and substantive manner; displaying unusually strong leadership in a professional association geared to business librarianship; or in other activities which encourage librarians to excel in business librarianship.
- The formal announcement and presentation of the award shall be made at the BRASS Membership Meeting at each ALA Annual Conference.
- Nominations must clearly state the contributions of the nominee in the field of business librarianship and explain the significance of the contributions (such as, affect on ideas/practices of the field, extent and depth of research and publishing, effect of leadership on organizations) and the magnitude of their influence. Self-nominations are accepted. Statements are due to the chair of the committtee by December 15.
- The Chair will be responsible for organizing the documentation and compiling a list of nominees. The committee will virtually discuss and evaluate candidates prior to Midwinter. The recipient will be chosen based on the award's criteria by consensus of committee members.
- All committee discussions will be closed for members only.