Outstanding Business Reference Sources Committee
BRASS Outstanding Business Reference Sources Committee
Established in 1988.
To study and identify the need for and improvement in business reference sources both print and electronic and to promote communication between business reference librarians and the providers of business information.
To showcase and to create a dialog with publishers and information providers about their information products and resources by means of an annual Publishers’ Open Forum.
To identify outstanding business reference sources for recommendation in an annual column in Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ).
There shall be at least seven (7) members appointed by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of BRASS.
Terms of Office
Members of the Committee will serve two years and shall be eligible for reappointment for a consecutive two-year term. Terms will be staggered so that continuity will be maintained.
- To study and identify the need for new resources in business information and areas needing improvement in existing ones. To communicate these needs to information providers in the business field.
- To review issues involving access to business information.
- To encourage and foster communication and dialog between information providers and business reference librarians. In the past, this has been achieved by organizing a Publisher's Forum at the Midwinter meeting. These have been prefaced by inviting one or two publishers to inform the group of their firm's overall philosophy and direction; a wide-ranging discussion has followed.
- The Committee will work with the RUSA Reference Tools Advisory Committee as appropriate.
- Send a representative to the RUSA Midwinter Book & Media Awards event to announce the winners of the “Outstanding Business Reference Sources.” Notify publishers or authors of these works.