BRASS Program, American Library Association Annual Conference
June 28, 1993
New Orleans, LA
- American Export Register. New York, N.Y.: Thomas International Publishing Company, One Penn Plaza, 250 West 34th Street 10119. Annual. $120/year. ISSN: 0272-1163. Telephone: 1-212-290-7344; Fax: 1-212-967-2150.
Volume one contains an alphabetical product index; the products and services section contains entries listing the exporter's name, address, and telephone number. Volume two contains an alphabetical/company index. At the back of Volume 2 are lists of U.S. and foreign embassies and consulates, Chambers of Commerce, world trade center clubs, U.S. and world ports, and banks.
- Directory of American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries. New York: World Trade Academy Press, Suite 509, 50 East 42nd Street 10017-5480. $195 (12th ed.) Telephone: 1-212-697-4999. ISSN: 0070-5071. ISBN: 0-8360-0033-1.
Locate the names, addresses, and telephone numbers for American firms with foreign subsidiaries and affiliates operating in over 125 countries. Volume one lists the U.S. firms with their address, telephone number, principal product and/or service, and the countries in which they have operations. Volumes two and three lists the foreign operations grouped by countries.
- Directory of United States Exporters. $349. Directory of United States Importers. $349. New York: Journal of Commerce. 110 Wall Street New York, NY 10005. Telephone: 1-212-425-1616.
Locate the names, addresses, company contacts, phone and fax numbers for U.S. exporters/importers; an alphabetical listing of exported products with their Harmonized Commodity Codes; and information on important customs regulations and procedures. Also lists names of associations, banks, plus U.S. and world ports.
- Directory of World Markets. Waltham, MA: World Economic Development Congress and DRI/McGraw-Hall. For information, write: World Economic Development Directory, c/o Bay Colony Corporate Center, 1000 Winter Street, Suite 3700, Waltham, MA 02154. Annual. $195. Telephone: 1-617-487-7900; Fax: 1-617-487-7937 or 1-617-487-0146;
This directory contains both historical and forecast information on the largest nations in the world, based on gross product ranking. An analysis of each country spotlighted is comprised of two sections: market analysis (business setting, historical data, and market information) and power structure (corporate leaders, federal government contacts, banks, newspapers, chamber of commerce, finance companies, and industrial organizations).
- Export Yellow Pages. Washington, D.C.: Delphos International; produced in cooperation with the Office of Export Trading Company Affairs, International Trade Administration; distributed worldwide through any district office of the U.S. & Foreign Commercial Service. Annual. Free (paper copy); also available thru the National Trade Data Bank.
This source provides detailed information on over 12,000 U.S. companies involved in international business. Locate export service providers and trading companies, agents, distributors and companies outside the U.S. Company listings are organized alphabetically under specific product or service categories in four major sections: export services, trading companies, technical services, and producers. Also includes a product/service index and an alphabetical index.
- International Directory of Importers. Healdsburg, CA: Interdata, 1480 Grove Street 95448; distributed by Blytmann International, Healdsburg, CA. Telephone: 1-707-433-3900; Fax: 1-707-433-8920.
A comprehensive multi-volume reference work covering geographical regions of the world, including North America (Canada and the United States) [$150/5th ed.], South/Central America (includes coverage of Mexico) [$150/5th ed.], and Asia/Pacific (Pacific Basin countries) [$275/4th ed.]. Locate classified listings of worldwide importing firms, as well as special sections containing detailed company information. Also includes a commodity index.
- International Tradeshow. Frankfurt: m+a Publishers for Fairs, Exhibitions and Conventions Ltd., Mainzer Landstrabe 251, P.O. Box 101528, W-6000 Frankfurt/Main 1, Germany. Published semi-annually in January and July. $150 (single copy). Telephone: int.+49-69-7595-02; Fax: int.+49-69-7595-1280; Telex: 411699 mua d.
This directory contains detailed information on global trade fairs and exhibitions which are of national and international significance; shows are open to the general and trade public. Excluded are company shows, presentations or similar events aimed at restricted circles. For an event, locate data such as the date, registration deadline, location, a description of what is to be presented or displayed, and a profile of the exhibitors.
- Principal International Businesses. Parsippany, NJ: Dun's Marketing Services. Annual. $635. ISSN: 0097-6288. ISBN: 1-56203-065-5. Telephone: 1-800-526-0651.
Coverage of approximately 55,000 companies in 140 countries. Companies are listed alphabetically and provide the company's address, sales, year started, SIC code(s), number of employees, brief description of the business, and key contact. The book also contains two indexes: businesses by product classification and businesses listed alphabetically.
- National Trade Data Bank. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, Office of Business Analysis. Monthly. $35/single disc; $360/year.
Contains information on economic and demographic conditions in over 250 countries, market research reports from the United States & Foreign Commercial Service, plus exports and imports data from the Census Bureau. The Foreign Traders Index can be used to identify potential trading partners.
- Exporters' Encyclopaedia. Parsippany, NJ: Dun & Bradstreet Information Services. Annual. $460/year. ISSN: 0149-8118. Telephone: 1-800-526-0651.
This comprehensive exporters guide provides market information for countries including a country profile, communications data, key contacts, trade regulations, shipping documentation, marketing data, transportation, and business travel information. Also includes names of government agenices, descriptions of U.S. ports, plus world trade centers. Includes a subject index.
- Overseas Business Reports. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration; distributed by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office. $14/year. ISSN: 0082-9846.
Reports on over 100 countries which contain brief information on industry trends, foreign trade, banks and credit, regulations, and market profiles. These publications also include additional sources of information such as publications (commerical and government) plus government departments and agencies.
- Site World: The . . . Yearbook of Global Super Projects. Norcross, GA: Conway Data Inc., 40 Technology Park/Atlanta, Norcross, GA 30092-9934. Annual. ISSN: 1055-3584. Telephone: 1-800-554-5686; Fax: 1-404-263-8825; Telex: 80-4468ATL.
This publication contains conference proceeding reports covering major global super projects. Chapter two provides detailed information concerning these projects. These listings are arranged first by country (projects contained entirely in a country), then space and space-related projects, and then regional projects (cross-border locations). A global super project is defined as a large-scale development venture costing a billion dollars or more or promoting significant technological advances.
- State Export Promotion and Small Business. Springfield, VA: National Technical Information Service, U.S. Department of Commerce, 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22161. $19.50. Telephone: 1-800-553-6847. Order number PB92-168657.
A study conducted by the organization National Small Business United on how state governments can get small business involved in export trade.
- State Profile Series. Washington, DC: Woods & Poole Economics Inc., 1794 Columbia Road, N.W. Suite 4, Washington, DC 20009. Costs vary. ISSN: 1044-4947. Telephone: 1-202-332-7111.
Each state profile contains a discussion of emerging trends in regional economies, the state's economy, and statistical tables covering the United States total, the regions, the state and the CMSAs, MSA/PMSAs, Areas of Dominant Influence, and counties within the state. Variables examined include employment and retail sales.
- Trade Inflo. Rockville, MD: Trade Inflo, One Church Street, Suite 601, Rockville, MD 20850. Telephone: 1-800-527-6138; Fax: 1-301-309-8666.
This company prepares reports which examine state's or industry's activity in the international marketplace. The main product is the "State Export Report" which "provides a concise, in-depth, quantitative analysis of U.S. state exports." Statistical data is prepared at the two-digit SIC level for the agriculture, mining, and manufacturing industries. Report options include state exports by port, country of destination by industry, and value of shipments by state, by industry. Costs vary per report.
- Area Development: Sites & Facility Planning. Easton, PA: S/H Publications, Inc. 400 Post Avenue, Westbury, NY 11590. Monthly (except bimonthly in June). $65/year.
Coverage includes domestic and international trade issues, the costs of maintaining a business, and the opportunities available to expand a business in foreign countries. Each issue contains a section titled "State and Provincial Reports."
- Business America. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration. Biweekly. $61/year. ISSN: 0190-6275.
Contains articles concerning international business opportunities.
- Journal of Commerce. New York, N.Y.: Journal of Commerce, Two World Trade Center, 27th Floor, New York, NY 10048. Published daily except Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. $295/year. ISSN: 0361-5561. Telephone: 1-800-221-3777.
Regular features include a trade leads column listing the names of foreign suppliers who want to sell their products in the U.S., schedules of trade fairs listing upcoming exhibits in the U.S., profiles of U.S. importers and foreign suppliers, plus articles concentrating on critical trade issues.
- World Trade. Newport Beach, CA: Taipan Press. World Trade, 500 Newport Center Drive, Suite 450, Newport Beach, CA 92660. Monthly, except for combined January/February and August/September issue. $24/year. Telephone: 1-714-640-7070; Fax: 1-714-640-7770.
Locate information about global trade issues and international trade fairs. Each issue contains a world trade index.
Focusing on New Markets: Implications for U.S. Business
BRASS Program, ALA Annual Conference, June 28, 1993
Disclaimer : This publication has been placed on the web for the convenience of BRASS members. Information and links will not be updated. Posted 18 February 1998.