Focusing on New Markets: Implications for U.S. Business
BRASS Program, American Library Association Annual Conference
June 28, 1993
New Orleans, LA
- Competing Economies: America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim. Washington, D.C.: Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment, 1991. ISBN: 0-16-035933-3.
This report addresses the problems and challenges facing the United States from the new European and Pacific Rim competitors. The OTA addresses problems of competitiveness in the new global marketplace, policy issues and options facing the U.S., Japanese industrial policy, and industrial strategies of Taiwan and Korea. Includes chapter bibliographies, statistics, charts and tables.
- Sanborn, Robert and Anderson Brandao. How to Get a Job in the Pacific Rim. Chicago: Surrey Books, 1992. $17.95. ISBN: 0-94-062542-3.
This publication, part of the "Insider's Guide Series," includes the names of 2000 employers as well as career and industry trends and outlook by country.
- Asian Company Handbook. Tokyo: Toyo Keizai, Inc.; distributed in the United States by Moody's Investors Service, P.O Box 12086, Newark, NJ 07101. Annual. $60. Telephone: 1-800-342-5647, ext. 0435.
Background and financial coverage of over 1,000 companies listed on the stock exchanges of Hong Kong, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Thailand. Each corporate report provides a company description; recent trends; address; date established; number of employees; bankers; financial data; foreign ownership percentage; plus sales, pre-tax profit, net profit, earnings and dividend per share.
- Asia's 7,500 Largest Companies. Ealing, London: ELC Publishing Ltd., 109 Uxbridge Road W5 5TL; distributed by Dun's Marketing Services, 3 Century Drive, Parsippany, NJ 07054. Annual. $320. Telephone: 1-800-526-0651.
Corporate coverage includes rankings of the largest quoted companies, quoted banks, quoted insurance companies, and privately-owned companies. Geographical coverage includes Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. A section titled "National Profiles" provides details concerning each country's economy, composition of the economy, population, currency, foreign trade, and trade balance. Includes a trade and alphabetical indexes.
- Major Companies of the Far East and Australasia 1992-93. London: Graham & Trotman; distributed to U.S. and Canadian libraries exclusively by Gale Research and to other markets non-exclusively. Annual. $1030 (3 vol. set)/ISBN: 1-85333-764-1; $380 (v.l)/ISBN: 1-85333-750-1; $380 (v.2)/ISBN: 1-85333-751-X; $270 (v.3)/ISBN: 1-85333-749-8. Telephone: 1-800-877-GALE; Fax: 1-313-961-6083.
This three volume set provides up-to-date information on nearly 6,500 major companies. Country coverage includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, and New Zealand. Each entry includes the company name, address, telephone number, fax and telex details, number of employees, and brand names and trademarks.
- Philippines' Best 1000 Corporations. Manila: Mahal Kong Pilipinas, #20 Greystone Street, White Plains, Quezon City. Annual. $150 (air mail). Telepgrahic transfer numbers: 790958 or 702325; Fax: (632) 790-958; order by fax, mail, or send telegraphic transfer to Citibank New York, Credit Citytrust Banking Corporation, Account number 36001881 further credit, Mahal Kong Pilipinas, Inc. with account number 2032007549 Agustin I Building, Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Complex, Pasig, Metro Manila, Philippines.
This reference source provides data on the individual financial performance of the country's 1000 most efficiently-managed companies. A full statistical profile of an additional 1000 companies is provided. Also locate a review of the Philippine economy and market studies of 37 major industries.
- Philippine Company Profiles. Manila: Mahal Kong Pilipinas, #20 Greystone Street, White Plains, Quezon City. Annual. $200 (air mail).
Contains the corporate background of the country's top corporations, complete lists of officers, directors, shareholders, and founders.
- Philippine Fax Directory. Manila: Mahal Kong Pilipinas, #20 Greystone Street, White Plains, Quezon City. Annual. $150 (air mail).
This directory lists the fax numbers, telephone numbers, and addresses of different Philippine corporations, agencies, and associations.
- Singapore Industrial Directory. Singapore: Promedia International PTE Ltd. 1302 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #03-10, Siong Hoe Industrial Building. Annual. $80 (air mail). Telephone: 2588255 (10 lines); Fax: 2597651.
Locate information concerning the entire spectrum of the Singapore market; major manufacturers, importers and exporters of products and services; product and service classifications; trade names of internationally well-known products available from the Singapore market; and detailed comprehensive company profiles of major manufacturers, importers and exporters in Singapore.
- Besher, Alexander. The Pacific Rim Almanac. New York, HarperCollins Publishers, 1991. $19.95. ISBN: 0-06-271524-0.
A wealth of information covering facts, statistics, trends, products, and technologies of the entire Asia-Pacific Rim area. Topics include marketing, trade, money, ecology and environment, and the infrastructure. Appendices include a listing of the PacRim top 500 companies, Pacific Rim trade organizations, world trade centers, embassies in the United States, research organizations and universities, and regional publications.
- Engholm, Christopher. When Business East Meets Business West: the Guide to Practice and Protocol in the Pacific Rim. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1991. $34.95 (text ed.); $14.95 (paper text ed.). ISBN: 0-471-53033-6.
This guide provides valuable information about the social protocol and customs and other valuable background information.
- Indonesia Source Book. Jakarta: National Development Information Office, Republic of Indonesia. Annual. Telephone: (62-21)384-7412; Fax: (62-21)384-7603; Telex: 44457 NDIOIA.
An excellent reference book for coverage of the Indonesian economy, public finance, financial institutions, foreign investment, international trade, and the manufacturing sector. Also yields information concerning the government, geography, and climate.
- Van Horn, Mike. Pacific Rim Trade: the Definitive Guide to Exporting and Investment. New York: AMACOM, 1988. $29.95. ISBN: 0-8144-5930-7.
This is a good general guide to trading opportunities as well as obstacles in the Pacific Rim area. Issues addressed include choosing markets, obtaining information to select your markets, exporting, trade barriers, and financing. Includes profiles of the Pacific Rim countries. Appendices contain a listing of helpful private organizations; Pacific Rim organizations; and a listing of books, periodicals, audiovisual materials, and computer databases.
- East Asian Business Intelligence. Washington, D.C.: International Executive Reports, 717 D Street, N.W., Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20004-2805. Biweekly. ISSN: 0888-580X. $345/year. Telephone: 1-202-628-6900; Fax: 1-202-628-6618.
This newsletter provides sales and contracting opportunities in the Far East, including Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines. Business leads listed include a brief description of the business opportunity, the person to contact, address, plus phone and fax numbers. Also includes "distant early warnings" of future business and investment opportunities, in-depth looks at areas of particular promise, and briefs on who's doing what in Far East business.
- East Asian Executive Reports. Washington, D.C.: International Executive Reports. Monthly. ISSN: 0272-1589. $455/year.
Provides up-to-date information on requirements for doing business in the Far East. Provides in-depth coverage of topics such as export/import, contracting and tendering rules, agents, registration, taxation, labor rules, local content requirements, licensing, technology transfer, and intellectual property.
- Indonesia Development News Quarterly. Jakarta: National Development Information Office, Republic of Indonesia. Correspondence: Hill and Knowlton, 420 Lexington Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10017. Free. Telephone: 1-212-697-5600; Fax: 1-212-210-8885.
Articles focus on key political, social, and economic issues affecting the Indonesian people. Publication also includes a section titled "Key Economic Indicators," covering balance of payments, prices, production, and financial statistics.
- Pacific Basin/ASEAN Business: News & Analysis of Southeast Asia and Pacific Basin Trade and Investment. New Rochelle, NY: The Lawrence Report, Inc., P.O. Box 215, New Rochelle, NY 10804. Monthly. $350/year. ISSN: 1064-9832. Telephone: 1-914-235-6747; Fax: 1-914-636-5939.
Monthly updates on current and critical issues facing the countries of the Pacific Basin, Southeast Asia, and the South Pacific Region.
- Jarolim, Edie, ed. The Wall Street Journal Guides to Business Travel: Pacific Rim. New York: Fodor's Travel Publications, 1991. $20. ISBN: 0-67-901985-5.
This handy source provides essential information for doing business in over 18 major business centers in the Pacific Rim. Coverage includes time zones, conversion tables, calendars, toll-free numbers, and government contacts.
Focusing on New Markets: Implications for U.S. Business
BRASS Program, ALA Annual Conference, June 28, 1993
Disclaimer : This publication has been placed on the web for the convenience of BRASS members. Information and links will not be updated. Posted 18 February 1998.