ALA Annual Conference
June 27, 1994
"1994 Industry Outlook: Services." Business Week 3353 (Jan. 10, 1994), 94-101.
"Fortune Service 500." Fortune 129 (May 30, 1994), 200-219. (annual article)
"Fortune's Global Service 500: The World's Largest Service Organizations." Fortune 128 (August 23, 1993), 159-196. (annual article)
Franklin, James C. "Industry Output and Employment (American Work Force: 1992-2005): Projections Show Services Providing More than Half of New Job Growth." Monthly Labor Review 116 (Nov. 1993), 41-57.
Goe, W. Richard. "Growth of Producer Services Industries: Sorting through the Externalization Debate " Growth & Change 22 (Fall 1991), 118-141.
"Service 500 Ranked by Perforrnance." Fortune 129 (May 30, 1994), 227-236. (annual article)
"Service 500 Ranked within the States." Fortune 129 (May 30, 1994), 239-264. (annual article)
"Services Show Their Muscle." Fortune 129 (May 30, 1994), 196-197.
"Wealth in Services." Economist 326 (February 20, 1993), 15-16.
Daniels, P.W. Service lndustries in the World Economy. Carnbridge, MA: Blackwell, 1993. ISBN 0-631-17703-5. $39.95.
Grubel, Herbert B. Service Industry Growth: Causes and Effects. Vancouver: Fraser Institute, 1989. ISBN 0-8897-5128-5.
Riddle, Dorothy I. Service-Led Growth: The Role of the Service Sector in World Development. New York: Praeger, 1986. ISBN 0-275-92041-0. $75.
Sherman, Andrew J. Best Nonfranchise Business Opportunities. New York: H. Holt, 1993. ISBN 0-8050-2208-2. $19.95.
- Directory of the World as Largest Service Companies. New York: Moody's Investors Service. Irregular. ISSN 1014-850. Telephone (212) 553-0300. $295.
Information on service firms arranged by industry type. Includes directory and financial information, company background, products and markets, and company presence.
- Dun's Directory of Service Companies. Parsippany, NJ: Dun & Bradstreet. Annual. ISBN 1-56203-273-9 (1994). ISSN 1040-6395. $525.
Provides name, address, telephone numbers, SIC codes, sales figures, number of employees, ownership date, bank, accountants, and officers of service companies. Includes SIC and geographical indexes.
- Hotel & Travel Index. Secaucus, NJ: Reed Travel Group. Quarterly. Telephone (201) 902-1600; fax (201) 319-1628. ISSN 0162-9972. $89.
Lists more than 45,000 hotels, motels, and resorts throughout the world. Information includes address, telephone and fax numbers, number of rooms, accommodations and rates, general manager, credit cards accepted and computer reservation system.
How to Find Information about Service Industries. Washington, DC: Washington Researchers, 3rd ed., 1988. Telephone (202) 333-3533. ISBN 0-934940-93-2. $115.
- Service Industries U.S.A.: Industry Analysis, Statistics, and Leading Organizations. Detroit: Gale Research, 1st ad., 1992; 2nd ed., 1994. Telephone (800) 877-GALE; fax (800) 414-5043. ISBN 0-8103-8397-7 (1992), 0-8103-8571-6 (1994). $170.
Provides national, state, city, and metropolitan area data on 150 service industries. Includes general statistics on establishments, employment, payroll, revenue and ownership; indices of change; selected ratios; leading companies; and occupations employed by the industry.
Service Industries Journal. London: Frank Cass. Telephone 081-530-7795; fax 081-530-7795. ISSN 0264-2069. $60/yr.
Service Watch: An Inside Washington Report for the Services Sector. Washington, DC: U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Telephone (800) 638-6582, (202) 659-6000; fax (202) 463-5836. Monthly, $75/yr
- Census of Service Industries. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Data Users Services Division.
Part of the Economic Census, these publications provide the most detailed information on business activity in the service sector. Covers SIC numbers 70 through 89. Taken every five years in years ending in 2 and 7.
- Current Business Reports. Service Annual Survey. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Data Users Services Division.
Brief publication updating the Census of Service Industries.
New Engines for America: Uncovering Growth Industry Information for the New Investment Machines
BRASS Program, ALA Annual Conference, June 27, 1994
Disclaimer: This publication has been placed on the web for the convenience of BRASS members. Information and links will not be updated. Posted 30 April 1998.