Help Wanted: Job and Career Information for the New Millennium
BRASS/PLA Program, ALA Annual Conference
New Orleans, LA, June 28, 1999
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Compensation Survey Program ( http://stats.bls.gov/ocshome.htm)
- BLS program covering major occupations. The OCS is being integrated with two other BLS survey programs to create the National Compensation Survey ( http://stats.bls.gov/comhome.htm)
- CAREERS.WSJ.com ( http://careers.wsj.com)
- Includes salaries and profiles of jobs listed in the National Business Employment Weekly and The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition. Salary calculator has rent/own option.
- Fisher, Helen S. American Salaries and Wages Survey, 4th edition Detroit: Gale, 1997
- Includes data from 300 government, business and news sources, covering over 4,400 occupations.
- JobOptions ( http://www.joboptions.com)
- Click on Career Tools> Salary Information to reach a wealth of resources: tips on salary negotiation, general salary information, and salaries in specific job categories.
- JobStar California ( http://jobsmart.org/tools/salary)
- General, as well as California specific, salary survey sites and other related career information.
- King, Julie Adair. Smart Woman's Guide to Interviewing and Salary Negotiation, Franklin Lakes, NJ:Career Press, 1995
- Focused book that covers interviewing and salary negotiations. Includes specific advice on getting the desired compensation package.
- Salary Answers ( http://18.104.22.168/cgi-bin/salary.cgi)
- Gives maximum salary figures for hundreds of occupations.
- The Salary Calculator ( http://www.homefair.com/homefair/cmr/salcalc.html)
- Provides comparable salaries between two cities, factoring in living costs of both. Includes most major U.S. and international cities.
- Salary Survey Guidebook. New York: American Management Association; American Compensation Association, 1998
- Good introduction to salary surveys, including names of over 80 organizations that conduct them.
- The Salary Zone ( http://www.ioma.com/zone)
- A searchable database of salary information provided by the Bureau of National Affairs. Includes a fee based salary search service.
- U.S.News-Career Guide ( http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/work/wo99car.htm)
- Detailed coverage of top 20 hot career fields, general coverage of other areas.
- WAGEWEB-Salary Survey Data On-Line ( http://www.wageweb.com/)
- Salaries for 160 positions included, mostly in human resources and technology areas.
- Wright, John W. The American Almanac of Jobs and Salaries, 1997-98 edition. New York: Avon Books, 1996
- White-collar service sector orientation; covers salary ranges for most major occupational categories within this defined area.
Susan R. Goshorn
- Business Women's Economic Almanac. Based on a Special Report from the Business Women's Network in Conjunction with the National Association of Female Executives. Washington, DC: MCI, 1995.
- Carey, James F. About Pay: Discussing Compensation. Menlo Park, CA: Crisp Publications, 1994.
- Clearly written, practical guide with examples and case studies.
- Chapman, Jack. Negotiating Your Salary: How to Make $1000 a Minute. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press, 1996.
- Brief publication filled with simple tips and strategies.
- Chapman, Jack. Salary Negotiation. Boulder, CO: CareerTrack, 1988.
- Conducting a Salary Discussion. Missasauga, ON: Marlin Westwood Training, n.d.
- Crispin, Gerry. CareerXroads: The 1999 Directory to the 500 Best Job, Resume and Career Management Sites on the World Wide Web. Kendall Park, NJ: MMC Group, 1999.
- Sites are listed in alphabetical order with 1/2 page of detailed information on each site. Excellent indexes make this book easy to use.
- Dikel, Margaret Riley. The Guide to Internet Job Searching. Lincolnwood (Chicago), IL: VGM Career Horizons, 1998.
- Tips on how to get started and how to post resumes to the Web. Specific sites are listed by discipline and cover government, public service, state, local, and international sites.
- Employer Association Group. National Wage and Salary Survey Report. Rochester, NY: Industrial Management Council, 1998.
- Galbraith, James K. Created Unequal: The Crisis in American Pay. New York: Free Press, 1998.
- Excellent discussion of reasons and solutions for pay inequality in America.
- Heide, Christen P. What America's Small Companies Pay their Sales Forces: and How They Make It Pay Off. Chicago, IL: Darnell Corporation, 1997.
- A surprising look inside small companies.
- Krannich, Ronald L. Dynamite Salary Negotiations: Know What You're Worth and Get It. Manassas Park, VA: Impact Publications, 1997.
- Book is filled with tips and rules for successful negotiating. Also includes trends.
- Krannich, Ronald L. Get a Raise in 7 Days: 10 Salary Savvy Steps to Success. Manassas Park, VA: Impact Publications, 1999.
- O'Malley, Michael. Are You Paid What You're Worth?: The Complete Guide to Calculating and Negotiating the Salary, Benefits, Bonus, and Raise you Deserve. NY: Broadway Books, 1998.
- Covers the inner workings of compensation systems and includes tips and strategies for salary negotiation.
- Peterson's GradSearch.
- Online source for locating detailed information on over 30,000 graduate and professional educational programs.
- Tarrant, John J. Perks and Parachutes: Negotiating Your Best Possible Employment Deal, from Salary and Bonus to Benefits and Protection.
- A step-by-step guide through the contract negotiation process.
Internet Search Engines
(Discussed in BRASS Program)
AltaVista ( http://www.altavista.com)
Excite ( http://www.excite.com)
Infoseek ( http://www.infoseek.com)
Lycos ( http://www.lycos.com)
Magellan Internet Guide ( http://magellan.excite.com/careers)
Starting Point ( http://www.starting-point.com)
Webcrawler ( http://www.webcrawler.com)
Yahoo ( http://www.yahoo.com)
Help Wanted: Job and Career Information for the New Millenium
BRASS Program, ALA Annual Conference, June 28, 1999
Disclaimer: This publication has been placed on the web for the convenience of BRASS members. Information and links will not be updated. Posted 12 July 1999.