Help Wanted: Job and Career Information for the New Millennium
BRASS/PLA Program, ALA Annual Conference
New Orleans, LA, June 28, 1999
- California Jobs Journal . Sacramento, CA: Jobs Journal Inc.
- Weekly listing of employment opportunities in California by occupational category.
- Capitol Weekly . Sacramento, CA: Capitol Weekly Corp.
- Lists California state job ads and information.
- Federal Career Opportunities . Vienna, VA: Federal Research Service.
- Biweekly publication listing thousands of Federal jobs. Includes overseas assignments along with national ones.
- Federal Jobs Digest . Ossining, NY: Breakthrough Publications, Inc.
- Lists positions with Federal government. Has short articles on Federal hiring trends.
- Help Wanted USA . Microfiche.
- Just when you thought that it was safe to throw out the microfiche reader...this weekly subscription microfilms 64 metropolitan papers in 38 states. Delivery is always prompt. Despite what the Web-aggregators of help wanted ads say, not all print ads are on the Web. An indispensible tool for small libraries worth every penny of its $400 price.
- National Ad Search . Milwaukee, WI: National Ad Search, Inc. Weekly publication.
- Collection of thousands of job ads for executive, professional, technical, and managerial positions. Covers a number of career fields.
- National Business Employment Weekly . Princeton, NJ: Dow Jones & Co.
- Published weekly. Executive job ads from the Wall Street Journal. Has good articles on job hunting strategies. November 15-21, 1998 issue contains listing of best career Web sites.
- National Hotel Executive .
- Trade publication for the hotel industry. Information available at http://www.hotelexecutive.com.
- International Employment Hotline . Standardsville, VA: Carlyle Corp.
- Monthly listing of several hundred foreign employment opportunities. Includes foreign internships and exchange positions.
- Advertising Age . Chicago, IL: Crain Communications.
- Leading trade journal for advertising field. Weekly publication. Lists about thirty positions each issue.
- Artsearch . New York, NY: Theatre Communications Group, Inc.
- Job listing service for employment in the arts. Lists hundreds of positions from entry level to management.
- Brandweek . New York, NY: ASM Communications.
- Weekly publication for the marketing field. Its classified section includes employment ads.
- Broadcasting & Cable . New York, NY: Cahners Business Information.
- Well-known trade journal for the television and radio fields. Employment section lists media and technical positions.
- Casting Connection .
- Job publication for individuals in the film and video industry in Northern California. Web site is http://www.castingconnection.com.
- Chemical & Engineering News . Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society.
- Weekly news journal for the chemical industry. Large section of employment ads.
- Chronicle of Higher Education . Washington, D.C.: Editorial Projects for Education, Inc.
- Widely known job advertising vehicle for academic institutions.
- Economist . London, England: Economist Newspaper Ltd.
- British business magazine. Classified section includes a number of executive positions under heading "appointments."
- Engineering News Record . New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Widely read weekly for the civil engineering field. Classified section lists fifty or more jobs including overseas projects.
- Environmental Career Opportunities .
- Monthly list of environmental jobs.
- Environmental Opportunities . Arcata, CA: Antioch New England Graduate School.
- Monthly publication with job listings.
- Hotel & Motel Management . Duluth, MN: Advanstar Communications.
- Semimonthly publications for hotel field. Twenty or thirty jobs listed in each issue under heading "recruitment."
- International Employment Gazette . Greenville, SC: International Placement Network.
- Nation's Restaurant News . New York, NY: Lebhar-Friedman.
- Leading trade journal for foodservice field. Published weekly. Has large sections of job announcements in the 'foodservice mart' section.
- Nature . London, England: Macmillan Magazines.
- Leading periodical for pure science. Published in England. Extensive classified section lists research opportunities.
- Ryan, Michael, E. "Job Hunting and Hiring on the Web," PCMagazine . May 25, 1999. p. 159-170
- An excellent head-to-head rating of the top eight job posting sites on the Web. Provides a look at these sites from both the employer and employee perspectives. If you have time to read just one article on electronic job searching, this should be it.
- Sales & Marketing Management . New York, NY: Bill Communications.
- Widely read news weekly for the sales world. Has small section for executive sales job ads.
- America's Job Bank ( http://www.ajb.dni.us).
- Partnership Web pages between the US Department of Labor and the state operated public employment service.
- Career Path ( http://www.careerpath.com/).
- Hundreds of thousands of job ads collected from newspapers all across the country.
- CareerXRoads ( www.crossxroads.com)
- Not as all-encompassing as the Riley Guide, CareerXroads offers capsules on what it deems to best 500 job and career sites on the Internet. The perspective is slightly different as well, Crispin is an advertising executive who has worked in employment advertising for years. A companion book of the Web site is available as well. The useful indexes make it worth the $22.95 price.
- Cool Works ( http://www.coolworks.com/).
- Web site listing 'fun' jobs. Most listings are for summer outdoor, recreational type jobs.
- Jobweb ( http://www.jobweb.org/map.htm).
- Website for the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
- Monster.Com ( http://www.occ.com/).
- Famous Web site for job listings. Strong high tech emphasis but includes other fields.
- Overseas Jobs ( http://www.overseasjobs.com).
- Lists hundreds of jobs in foreign countries. Claims to list positions that are open to 'non nationals'.
- USA Jobs ( http://www.usajobs.opm.gov).
- The Federal government's official site for posting job vacancies.
- Yahoo! Employment ( http://employment.yahoo.com/).
- Good example of search engine links page.
Help Wanted: Job and Career Information for the New Millenium
BRASS Program, ALA Annual Conference, June 28, 1999
Disclaimer: This publication has been placed on the web for the convenience of BRASS members. Information and links will not be updated. Posted 12 July 1999.