Post a Job
Post a job to the library world's premiere job search site: ALA JobList.
Post a job opening to RUSA-L, RUSA's online discussion list:
- To subscribe, send an email to email@example.com with the following subject:
- Subscribe rusa-l firstname lastname
- (replace firstname and lastname above with your first and last names.)
- Do not put anything in the body of the message.
- You can also click on the "Subscribe" link here: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/rusa-l
Post job openings in library and information technology on LITA's job site.
Find a job
ProLibra Associates, Inc. (a library service company providing experienced personnel who are specialists in all facets of library service and maintenance to corporations, public entities and individuals)
*State and Regional Chapters (by State or region)
*Special Libraries Association Listservs by chapter/state/region
Many employers post job listings via Listservs because of the wide audiences they reach. These are a great way to network for job seekers and job posters.
How do I find out more about the day-to-day responsibilities of an academic reference librarian? A public reference librarian?
Professional Competencies for Reference and User Services Librarians
What are the educational requirements?
Most librarian positions require a Master of Library Science (MLS) or a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree, preferably from a school accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). There are many options regarding program style and size. Undergraduate degrees in almost any subject area are appropriate. Please visit the ALA website for more information on accredited masters programs.
What is the job outlook for librarians?
Available online, the “Occupational Outlook Handbook” suggests that the number of librarian jobs is projected to grow about 7 percent between 2010 and 2020. By 2020, librarians are expected to hold more than 166,000 jobs. In addition, more than 2 out of 3 librarians are aged 45 or older, which will result in many job openings over the next decade as many librarians will retire.
Where can I find salary information?
Library salaries vary depending upon your experience, the size of the library, and what region of the country the library is located in. Most professional positions within libraries require a master’s degree in library and information science. For more information about salary, please visit the “Occupational Outlook Handbook” and ALA JobList. You can also find information on Salary Negotiation on ALA’s JobList page and the ALA Survey of Librarian Salaries 2010.
Also, you can find helpful information from the ALA Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA), including improving salary/status and salary negotiation. The ALA-APA is a nonprofit professional organization established “to promote the mutual professional interests of librarians and other library workers.” To that end, the ALA-APA is focused on two broad areas:
- Certification of individuals in specializations beyond the initial professional degree.
- Direct support of comparable worth and pay equity initiatives, and other activities designed to improve the salaries and status of librarians and other library workers.
General Employment Resources:
- ALA Employment Resources
- ALA Joblist General Career Information
- ALA JobList Interview Help
- ALA JobList Resume Help
- Career Assessments
- Personal Branding for Librarians
- Hiring Librarians blog featuring short, anonymous interviews with people who hire librarians.
- "Toughing It Out In a Tight Job Market" by Janice Arenofsky featured in American Libraries Magazine, Dec 2012.
- ALA JobList Cover Letter help
- Open Coverletters: Anonymous cover letters from hired librarians and archivists.
- Cover Letters: Top 10 Tips To Writing A Successful One, Come Recommended, LLC
- LISCareer.com: Library Science Career Development Books
- ALA Store: Professional Development Books
- What Color is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
- A Librarian’s Guide to an Uncertain Job Market by Jeannette Woodward