Xtreme Bibliographic Searching for Interlibrary Loan & Reference
Recorded Live Sessions on Thursdays, Time 1-2 p.m. CST
Users expect the impossible. Xtreme Bibliographic Searching for reference and interlibrary loan will show you sources and techniques to make the impossible possible. Bad citations, international publications, unpublished works, extremely old and extremely new materials may not be lost causes for a skilled searcher with a few tricks and tools. This four-week class, taught by Christina Baich from IUPUI and Collette Mak from Notre Dame will take you from Mansel Pre 56 to Digital Repositories, DOAJ to Trove to HathiTrust. Don’t know those terms? This course is for you!
The Method: Lecture, demonstrations, homework with student presentations of solutions
The Need: increasingly ILL operations are run by clerks without formal training resulting in an over reliance on WorldCat and licensed content.
This course goes beyond the basic tools to creative problem solving—using traditional tools in untraditional ways to fill requests. Content covered:
- Reading a MARC record
- General MARC (which chunks describe the content, which describe the format, where the standard numbers are)
- Searching Monographs
- Monographic series
- Articles cataloged as books
- Conference proceedings
- Chapter level information
- Title changes
- Holding statements
- Fixing citations
- Google, publisher sites without passing the paywall
- Untraditional tools, LinkedIn, academia.edu, PubMed, Google scholar Finding and communicating with authors
- Linked in, Academia.edu, other sources
- How to approach authors for best results Open Access Resources
- Open Access journals
- Open Access requirements in the US
- Digital repositories Member sites for non-members
- CRL Old school—NUC Locating international publications
- Ability to correct bad citations using Google scholar, PubMed, publisher web sites and other freely available web sites
- Ability to search and use resources such as HathiTrust and CRL, even if the library is not a member, as bibliographic verification tools
- Ability to use institutional repositories , Open Access resources, social network sites such as LinkedIn and academia.edu as bibliographic verification tools and fulfillment sources
Who Should Attend
Anyone wanting to learn about the topics highlighted in the description above.
- Tina Baich, Interlibrary Loan Librarian, IUPUI University Library
- Collette Mak, Head of Resource Access and Delivery, University of Notre Dame, and formerly Resource Sharing Product Manager at OCLC
- $130 for RUSA members
- $175 for ALA members
- $210 for non-ALA members
- $100 for student members and retired members
How to Register
- By Fax: download, complete, and fax form (PDF format) to (312) 280-1538
- By Mail: download, complete, and mail form (PDF format) to American Library Association, ATTN: MACS/Online CE Registration, 50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611
ALA will use Moodle for all online educational courses. Learn more about Moodle at www.moodle.org.
The Moodle login instructions will be sent the Friday before the start date. The course site will remain open one week after the end date for students to complete any assignments and submit the course evaluation survey.
***The live sessions will be offered using Adobe Connect. Please ensure that you have Adobe Flash Player Version 10.1 or later on your computer. Audio for these sessions will be streamed over computer speakers and via a teleconference line. You will be able to ask questions and interact with the presenter and other webinar participants via chat.
You can test your settings to verify that your computer is configured properly to participate in the live sessions.
You will receive access instructions from Andrea by Friday. If you registered after Friday morning, you should have the instructions by Monday morning.
Questions about your registration should be directed to email@example.com. Technical questions about the webinar should be directed to Andrea Hill, RUSA Web Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and we look forward to your participation!