RSS: Health and Medical Reference Committee
The purpose of the Health and Medical Reference Committee (HMRC) is to support the specialized needs of library staff who answer health-related reference questions in a variety of settings, including, but not limited to, public libraries, academic libraries, health care institutions, and special libraries. The HMRC seeks to provide educational opportunities focusing on health and medical reference in RUSA and ALA venues, both online and in person. Topics that the committee will address include legal and ethical issues, resource evaluation, health literacy, cultural differences, library programming, and health reference interview skills. This committee takes responsibility for maintaining the Health and Medical Reference Guidelines developed by this committee in 2015:
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2012. Last retrieved on 09/28/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
- Implementing Health and Medical Reference Guidelines: Training librarians, Paraprofessionals and Part Time Staff
- April Goals Update: Health and Medical Reference Committee
- Virtual Mid-Winter HMRC Meeting Minutes
- Virtual Mid-Winter HMRC Meeting
- Virtual Mid-Winter HMRC Meeting: Teleconference Tuesday, January 12, from 2-3 PM CENTRAL TIME
- Summary of Current Activities, September 2015
- Virtual HMRC Meeting: Teleconference Tuesday, September 15, from 2-3 PM CENTRAL TIME
- October Update: Health and Medical Reference Committee Goals for 2015-16
- HMRC Roster 2015-16
- RUSA RSS Health and Medical Reference Committee Meeting
Below are selected resources to build the toolkit of anyone answering any kind of health or medical reference questions.
Materials in Languages Other Than English
Tutorials/ Online CE
Collections of Sites and Resources
Searching for Medical Practice Guidelines
ALA values committed and active committee members. Qualified members are welcome to volunteer to serve on the committee. Committee members must have an interest in the work of the committee; be able to attend Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings to participate in the meetings and activities of the committee; and be able to work between conferences via e-mail and ALA Connect. Express your interest in serving on this or other committees by filling out an application form. Appointments take place once a year, during the spring. Committee service usually begins following Annual Conference, about July 1.
Web Services Manager