RSS: Education & Professional Development for Reference
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2015. Last retrieved on 04/23/2017. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- “Educating for the Future of Reference” at ALA Annual in Orlando
- Notes from Discussion Forum "What Should be the Future of Reference Education for Librarians?" ALA Annual 2015
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #7: What are the implications for students who intend to work in reference who graduate library school without a practicum or internship or equivalent experience?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #6: For reference education, what can we as a profession do to provide students with a balance between theory and practice? For example, how can we provide and advocate for more reference practicums and internships?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #5: How has reference education been impacted by the increase in online education in library schools?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #4: How should reference educators make decisions about what skills and information to present in their courses? For example, to what extent should they consider where reference fits into the user experience?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #3: What qualities should library managers seek when they hire librarians who will provide reference service?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #2: What changes should library schools make to the way they prepare future librarians for reference work?
- ALA Annual 2015 Discussion Question #1: What reference skills and knowledge, if any, should be taught in library schools today? How should these be taught?
- What Should be the Future of Reference Education for Librarians? A Discussion Forum
See RUSA or Section Bylaws.
See Committee Charge.
ALA values committed and active committee members. Qualified members are welcome to volunteer to serve on [insert committee name here]. Committee members must have an interest in the work of the committee; be able to attend Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings to participate in the meetings and activities of the committee; and be able to work between conferences via e-mail and ALA Connect. Express your interest in serving on this or other committees by filling out an application form. Appointments take place once a year, during the spring. Committee service usually begins following Annual Conference, about July 1.
Web Services Manager