RUSA, along with our generous sponsors, offers awards for professional service and achievement as well as awards honoring the best resources published each year. These awards are announced and celebrated at two events during the year. The Midwinter Book and Media Awards Reception features the best and most notable publications in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, audiobooks, reference, and online resources. The RUSA Achievement Awards Reception, held during ALA’s Annual conference, honors librarians, publishers, and authors whose accomplishments have been judged of the highest order.
Resources and Links:
RUSA Achievement Awards Reception: Sunday of Annual from 5-6:30 p.m.
RUSA Book and Media Awards Reception: Sunday of Midwinter from 5-6:30 p.m.
(Both award receptions are open to all. Room locations are listed in the ALA program guide.)
Key Deadline Dates for the RUSA Achievement Awards
- Award chairs are asked to update contact information, review award pages, and committee rosters and send any changes to the RUSA office.
- Award committees send out calls for award nominations.
- RUSA office issues calls for award nominations via internal media (AL Direct, eblast, blog, and website).
One Week After Midwinter:
- Final deadline for all award decisions (exception is BRASS SimplyMap Student Travel Award )
Two Weeks After Midwinter:
- Chairs notify winners, sponsors, and nominators and inform winners and sponsors of date and time of the RUSA Awards Reception. At this time the information is public and can be shared.
- Chairs work with winner to fill out media profile.
- Media Profile due to RUSA office. (Please note: The winner’s check, when applicable, is processed based on this form. Any delay in completing the form delays the receipt of the check).
February 15-March 30:
- RUSA office issues press releases announcing winners. As releases are published by ALA, the RUSA office sends copies to winners, sponsors, and chairs with notes of thanks and congratulations.
April through June:
- Winners’ checks mailed (based on receipt of media profile form turned in on time).