SustainRT webinar series - free, open to all!
- Register HERE for our fall webinar: Nine Reasons for Hope in a World Out of Whack (Thurs. Nov. 9 12:15-12:45pm EST)
Our speaker will be Ellen Moyer, author of the book Our Earth, Our Species, Our Selves: How to Thrive While Creating a Sustainable World
Dr. Moyer, a registered professional engineer and a U.S. Green Building Council LEED Accredited Professional, helps government agencies and Fortune 500 companies clean up hazardous waste sites, prevent environmental damage, analyze impacts, and provide educational outreach. She will talk about reasons for hope that we can solve dire environmental problems such as climate change facing our world and successfully upgrade to a high-tech and high-nature way of life that will sustain us and our fellow species far into the future. Dr. Moyer will also share concrete actions we can take to help ourselves and our world at the same time, including the one most important action for getting started. Attend the webinar on November 9 to find out more.
SustainRT Virtual Membership Meeting
- SustainRT Annual Virtual Membership Meeting: Wednesday June 14, 2017 1-2pm (eastern)- all are welcome/not just current members. RECORDING SLIDES
- Bill McKibben. Imagining a World that Works – In Time to Prevent a World that Doesn’t: Saturday, June 24, 2017, 1-2:30 pm McCormick Place, S102. Co-sponsored by Social Responsibilities Round Table, Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association, American Indian Library Association,
2017 ALA Diversity & Outreach Fair at Annual Conference. Saturday, June 24th from 3-5pm in the Special Events area of the Exhibits Hall.
SustainRT and SRRT Social Event: Saturday, June 24, 2017, 5-7 pm at McCormick Place, W194b
Taking the LEED: Sustainable Building Projects @ Your Library: Sunday, June 25, 2017, 8:30-10 am at McCormick Place, W185bc
Next Gen Library Planning: Strategic Library Planning for Sustainability & Resilience in Community: Sunday, June 25, 2017, 10:30-11:30 am at McCormick Place, W185bc
SustainRT General Membership Meeting: Sunday, June 25, 2017, 3-4 pm at McCormick Place, W474b
Past Webinars, Tweet-ups & Events:
- Webinar: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 12:15-12:45pm (EDT) : Bob Doppelt Transformational Resilience: How Building Human Resilience to Climate Disruption Can Safeguard Society and Increase Well-being. RECORDING -audio & second half only (due to technical issues) and Follow up Q&A answers from Bob
- Webinar: Thursday, March 9, 2017, 12:15-12:45pm (EST) - Amy Brunvand presented STARS and Beyond: Adventures of an embedded Librarian in the Campus Sustainability Office. RECORDING and Q&A document
- ALA Midwinter 2017
- SustainRT Meeting - Saturday 1/21/17, 1:00-2:30pm
- Presentation: The Future of Libraires with Mary Beth Lock and Rebekkah Smith Aldrich 1/22/17, 10:30-11:30am
- Virtual Midwinter Meeting Wednesday 1/4/17, 1:00-2:00 EST
- Webinar: Thursday December 1, 2016, 12:15-12:45pm (EST): David Selden, National Indian Law Library, spoke about the founding of the Committee on Environmental Sustainability under the American Association of Law Libraries. Their activities include a Conference Travel Offset Project and a Resolution on Sustainability in Law Libraries.
- Webinar, Thursday September 15, 12:15pm-12:45pm (EDT) - Planting the Seeds Libraries and Librarians as Change Agents for Sustainability within Their Communities - a recap from ALA 2016 Conference. Speakers included Jodi Shaw, children's librarian, Brooklyn Public Library; Madeleine Charney, sustainability studies librarian, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Mary Beth Lock, director of Access Services, Wake Forest University; and Ray Pun, first year student success librarian, California State University, Fresno - RECORDING
- ALA Annual Conference (Orlando) 2016 Meet ups: “Sustainable Thinking,” presentation by Matthew Bollerman and Rebekkah Smith Aldrich; annual business meeting, “SustainRT: Libraries Fostering Resilient Communities," SustainRT and the ALA Social Responsibilities Round Table members during a joint social; “Planting the Seeds: Libraries and Librarians as Change Agents for Sustainability within Their Communities” lightning rounds; “The National Library of Aruba: Promoting, Enhancing and Embracing Green Education” More here: http://www.alaannual.org/ and read articles in American Libraries about some of these sessions and a summary of #sustainRT tweets
- SustainRT Annual Virtual Membership Meeting 6/17/16 - RECORDING
- Webinar, Thursday May 19, 2016, 12:15-12:45pm (EDT) - Libraries and the Sacredness of Community. Presentation by Rachael Shea, Head of Public Services at Clark University. The webinar will explore the importance of relationship and the many ways libraries can contribute to creating sustainable communities. Rachael will describe how the "interconnectedness of things" and the interplay of exchange - give and take - is what underlies true sustainability. RECORDING AND Rachel's SLIDES
- Webinar, Thursday, February 4, 2016, 12:15 - 12:45 pm (EST) -
Collaborating for sustainability: community and publisher partnerships and the book to action programTopic: Local community organizations and publishers can be valuable partners for libraries in creating sustainability-oriented programming. Join us on February 4 for this free SustainRT webinar to learn as Sally Thomas and Michael Weaver describe Book-to-Action programs which extend the idea of a book discussion by not only scheduling an author/speaker, but also partnering with a public service organization for a volunteer day or other community service opportunity. RECORDING and SLIDES: Michael and Sally.
- ALA Midwinter 2016 Meet-Ups:
SustainRT’s midwinter meetings were brimming with good ideas and fruitful connections. Our board meeting was well attended with many new faces at the table (See Connect for meeting minutes). At our social event with ProjectARCC we shared our stories of what motivates us to be engaged with sustainability in our professions. FYI: SustainRT is now under the umbrella of ALA’s Office of Diversity, Literacy and Outreach which supports the inclusion of diverse perspectives within our profession and association.
- Webinar & Virtual Meeting: Thursday, December 17, 2015, 12:15pm (EST):
- Tweet-up witn ProjectARCC - Monday, October 19, 2015, 1:00 pm (EST), - View the Storify of the event!
- ProjectARCC (Archivists Responding to Climate Change) and ALA’s SustainRT (Sustainability Roundtable) co-hosted a tweet-up to discuss how we as archivists and librarians can reduce our professional carbon footprint and implement sustainable practices in our institutions #SustainLIS and by following @projectARCC and @sustainRT on Twitter: View the #sustainlis Tweets
- Webinar, Thursday October 15th, 2015, 12:15-12:45 pm (EST) - RECORDING
Webinar Topic: "Sustainable Communities and ALA’s Center for the Future of Libraries” with Miguel A. Figueroa
- Webinar, Thursday, July 16th, 2015, 12:15 - 12:45 pm (EST) - RECORDING
Webinar Topic: selected sustainabilty projects from ALA 2015 SustainRT Lightning Rounds, project team updates, ways you can get involved!
- SustainRT Annual Virtual Membership Meeting June 2015 RECORDING
- Sustainability Round Table Annual Meeting June 2014 "Think Pair Share Exercise"