Resources listed on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of IRTF, SRRT, or ALA.
ALA Report on Cuba
- Las "bibliotecas independientes" en Cuba: Una bibliografía que revela parte de la "disidencia" contrarevolucionaria auspisiada por el govierno de los Estados Unidos, Felipe Meneses-Tello
- The "independent libraries in Cuba: A bibliography which reveals part of the counter-revolutionary "dissidence" sponsored by the United States government, Felipe Meneses-Tello
Computers and Internet Access
- Cuba: Computers, Automation, and the Internet, Dana Lubow. ZNet, 12/13/2005.
- Cuba: computadoras, automatización e Internet, Dana Lubow. Rebelión, 15-12-2005.
"A Cuban Revolution, in Reading": New York Times article of 2/22/05 and responses
- "A Cuban Revolution, in Reading," by David Gonzalez. New York Times, 2/22/05. (Free access for registered members of NYTimes.com.)
- Letter to The New York Times, by Sylvia Lubow.
- Letter to The New York Times, by Ann Sparanese.
- Letter to The New York Times, by Ann Sitkin.
Polish Librarians Association's "Appeal" of December 2004 and response
- Appeal for Cuban Libraries, December 10, 2004. The Presidium of the Main Management of the Polish Librarians Association
- Letter to Polish Librarians Association from international librarians, December 20, 2004. Response to Polish Librarians Association.
Exchanges with Nat Hentoff
Articles by Nat Hentoff
- "In Castro's Gulag Librarians Abandoned by the American Library Association," Nat Hentoff, Village Voice, December 12, 2003
- "Criminalizing Librarians Is Victor Arroyo a 'Traitor to Cuba'?" Nat Hentoff,Village Voice, December 19th, 2003
- "A U.S. Librarian Defends Castro: Books to Overthrow Castro?" Nat Hentoff, Village Voice, January 5th, 2004
Responses to Hentoff and related materials
- Letter sent to Democracy Now!, Bruce Jensen, October 1, 2003
- Letter to ALA regarding commentary by Nat Hentoff, Ann Sparanese, December 9, 2003
- Response to Nat Hentoff, Nelson Valdes, December 2003
- Letter to The Village Voice, Lincoln Cushing, December 17, 2003
- Letter to The Village Voice in Response to Nat Hentoff, Ann Sparanese, December 21, 2003
- Defend Cuban and US Libraries, Tarnel Abbott, January 7, 2004
- Re: Sandy Berman's UNABASHED LIBRARIAN column on Cuba, Ann Sparanese, January 10, 2004
Background to the Discussion
- Background information pertaining to recent events in Cuba, John Pateman, Cuban Libraries Solidarity Group, July 19, 2003
- Payment for Services Rendered:US-funded Dissent and the "Independent Libraries Project" in Cuba, Rhonda L. Neugebauer, Presentation to the Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies, Nov. 8-9, 2002
- Libraries in Cuba: Report of a visit to "independent," national and public libraries in Cuba, April 2000, John Pateman, Information for Social ChangeNo. 13, Summer 2001
- Cuban Libraries: Challenges and Achievements, Rhonda L. Neugebauer, Information for Social Change No. 13, Summer 2001
- Cuba Today, Tomorrow, Forever, Larry R. Oberg. Information for Social Change No. 13, Summer 2001
- Report on Cuban issue, January 15, 2001, Latin American and Caribbean Subcommittee, International Relations Committee, American Library Association
- Terrorism and Civil Society as Instruments of U.S. Policy in Cuba, Philip Agee, Socialism and Democracy Online, Current Issue #35 Vol 18, No. 1
- Testimony on Cuba, Ann Sparanese, testimony to ALA IRC Latin American & Caribbean Subcommittee, January 8, 2001
- Testimonies of U.S. librarians visiting Cuba, 2000, Larry Oberg and Ann Sparanese, Open letter to Charles Harmon, chair, and members of the American Library Association Committee Professional Ethics
- Libraries in Cuba : report of a visit to "independent", national and public libraries in Cuba, April 2000, John Pateman, Cuban Libraries Support Group
- Cuban Libraries Solidarity Group
- SRRT Resolution on Cuban Libraries /Resolución sobre las bibliotecas cubanas (2000)
- SRRT Resolution on Pastors for Peace Bookmobile Caravan to Cuba (1998)
- SRRT Resolution on the IFLA Conference in Havana, Cuba (1993)