June is Rainbow Book Month™
Customizable Publicity Materials and Templates
Get the word out in your community about Rainbow Book Month™ and your library's celebrations! ALA has developed these free, customizable publicity templates that are ready for your library to adapt and submit to your local media.
- Rainbow Book Month™ Press Release Template [DOCX]
- Rainbow Book Month™ Flyer [PDF]
- Rainbow Book Month™ Letter-to-the-Editor Template [DOCX]
- Rainbow Book Month™ PSA scripts [DOCX]
- Rainbow Book Month™ Radio PSA scripts [DOCX]
Rainbow Book Month Social Media Graphics
Share how your institution is celebrating Rainbow Book Month™ with the following social media graphics, and use #rainbowbookmonth to join the conversation!
- Rainbow Book Month Facebook Profile [PNG]
- Rainbow Book Month Facebook Post [PNG]
- Rainbow Book Month Twitter Profile [PNG]
- Rainbow Book Month Twitter Header [PNG]
- Rainbow Book Month Twitter Post [PNG]
- Rainbow Book Month Instagram Post [PNG]
Libraries Transform Social Media/Promotional Graphics
Celebrate the importance of inclusive stories year-round with the following downloadable graphics from the Libraries Transform campaign!
- Libraries Transform Facebook Cover [PNG]
- Libraries Transform Twitter Header [PNG]
- Libraries Transform Twitter Post [PNG]
- Libraries Transform Instagram Post [PNG]
- Libraries Transform Bookmarks [PDF]
- Libraries Transform Postcards [PDF]
- Libraries Transform Poster [PNG]
LGBTQIA+ Book Awards and Bibliographies from ALA
The American Library Association supports LGBTQIA+ literature through the Stonewall Book Awards (in Children's and Young Adult, Non-Fiction, and Literature categories), as well as two bibliographies including the Rainbow Book List and Over the Rainbow Book List. These awards and lists serve to recognize the very best in contemporary literature and serve as invaluable tools for building quality LGBTQIA+ collections.
- Stonewall Book Awards - The first and longest-enduring award for LGBTQIA+ literature
- Rainbow Book List - LGBTQIA+ Books for Kids and Teens
- Over the Rainbow Book List - LGBTQIA+ Books for Adult Readers
Tools for Library Workers
Holding a book discussion or programming this June in honor of Rainbow Book Month™? Authors, publishers, school districts, reading organizations, and even the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund have put time and effort into creating reading guides specifically for book discussions. ALA has also created several resources around best practices for community-informed programming. Below are several tools which can be used on their own or as jumping off points.
- Reading Guides on LGBTQIA+ books for group discussions [PDF] (June 2016)
- Libraries Respond: Services to LGBTQ+ People
- Libraries Respond: Drag Queen Story Hour
- Hateful Conduct in Libraries: Supporting Library Workers and Patrons (January 2019)
Historic GLBT Book Month™ Items
Historic GLBT Book Month™ bookmarks and posters bearing the initiative's prior name are still available from ALA Graphics. Featuring vibrant art from This Day in June by Gayle E. Pitman and illustrated by Kristyna Litten, this poster and bookmark commemorates June as GLBT Book Month™. This Day in June is the winner of the 2015 Stonewall Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Literature and a Top Ten Rainbow List Title. It invites readers to a pride celebration with text in rhyming couplets, energetic images, and a reading guide for parents and caregivers on how to talk to children about sexual orientation and gender identity in age-appropriate ways.
Purchase Posters and Bookmarks from ALA Graphics:
For general information, please contact:
For media inquiries, please refer to the press kit and contact: