The Governance Committee conducts periodic reviews of the NMRT Constitution and Bylaws, drafts amendments, and revisions proposed by the Executive Board or the membership of NMRT, distributing up-to-date revisions as necessary.
- Review the minutes of the Midwinter and Annual board meetings for unfinished business and assignments.
- Compare changes approved to the NMRT bylaws.
- Prepare bylaw changes for ballot.
- Implement changes to bylaws.
- Provide a parliamentarian at the Midwinter and Annual board meetings.
- Provide details to the Handbook Committee for updating the official Constitution and Bylaws (online).
- Identify issues with the Constitution and Bylaws and work with appropriate board members and committees for recommendations of changes.
History of the Committee
The Committee on Governance was established in 1971, with Ronald A. Dubberly serving as coordinator. The committee originated Cognotes, the daily conference newsletter, in Chicago in 1972. A final product of the first committee was a comprehensive report in 1973, which evaluated NMRT objectives and operations. This final item has served as the basis for the committee's existence ever since. The Governance Committee works on the Committee Charge and completes tasks assigned to it by the NMRT President.