History of the Committee
This committee, formerly known as the Annual Program Committee, is an off-shoot of the Leadership Development committee, which was disbanded in the reorganization of 2004-2005. Traditionally, the Leadership Development committee sponsored a program funded by Highsmith. The committee was established in 2005 to provide a single session at the ALA Annual Conference. With the 2006-2007 committee year, the committee focused on programming delivered online. The 2014-15 committee was charged with delivering a series of three online programs.
To deliver programs to new members of ALA and the profession offered in alternate formats. The online programs should take advantage of appropriate available technologies.
Supervising Board Member
2019-2020 Committee Roster
ALA NMRT PRESENTS: Career Planning for Early Career Librarians: Navigating Your Own Way!
DATE: March 3, 2020, 12:00 PM - 1:00PM CST/1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EST
Moderator: LaQuanda T. Onyemeh, MLIS, M.Ed, Training & Consultant Partner at ProQuest, WOC+Lib Co-Founder
- Shannon Jones, MLIS, MEd, AHIP, Director of Libraries Medical of South Carolina
- Laura Tadena, MLIS, Inclusive Services Consultant at the Texas State Library and Archives Commission
- Natalie Ornat, MLIS, ALA Emerging Leader, Humanities Librarian, UNC - Charlotte
- Participants will be able to differentiate between Early Career Librarian and Mid-Level Librarian.
- Participants will be able to apply tips on career planning to their own professional careers.
- Participants will be able to identify common career challenges for early career professionals, and articulate creative solutions for overcoming or working around them.
This moderated panel will discuss Career Planning for Early Career Librarians. Panelists will share how they personally navigated through career planning, imposter syndrome, professional networking, and scholarship to obtain successful career goals in the library profession. They will offer actionable tips to bring clarity to your career trajectory; whether you are new to your role or want to make changes, you can benefit from this talented panel as they share stories of initiative and gumption. Please join us on Tuesday, March 3 at 1 PM EST/12 PM CST!
The Mystery of Networking While Introverting - "Choose Your Own Adventure: You're the Star of the Story! Choose from Countless Possible Endings" - presented by Rochelle Hartman (Adult Services Manager La Crosse Public Library) - March 29, 2016 http://ala.adobeconnect.com/p2qm772x5pr/