DESCRIPTION OF, PROCEDURE OF NOMINATING, AND CRITERIA FOR RECOMMENDING AND AWARDING ALA IRRT “NOTABLE MEMBERS”
ALA IRRT members often play important roles in promoting understanding of, and interests in, library services around the globe. Many indeed think, plan, and act globally. In an effort to recognize the accomplishments of these individuals, IRRT created this Notable IRRT Members web page. Each individual was asked to share their most enjoyable international project/s and to offer words of advice to new IRRT members. The eligibility to be included in this web page is an active IRRT membership and substantial contributions to ALA’s core values on the international scale.
PROCEDURE OF NOMINATING
Any IRRT member can nominate another IRRT member. The nominator should seek the permission of the potential Notable Member first. The nominator should email the current Membership chair how the nominee matches the bulleted criteria below (all that apply). Meeting all of these criteria is not required for recognition as a Notable Member but they help to provide some guidance in selecting members for recognition. Nominations must be submitted by the first week of February in order to give the Membership Committee and Chair time to review. Selected members will be notified by March 1 to allow adequate time for creating a profile and planning conference attendance. Notable Members are not awarded at any fixed quota (such as annually), but rather, only when a nominee is nominated and successfully selected.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING
The following bulleted criteria will be used by the Membership Committee in recommending an IRRT member as an IRRT “Notable Member.” The committee will weigh how many, and to what degree, the nominee matches the criteria. A recommendation will then be sent to the IRRT Executive Board—in a bulleted report—noting all criteria that are met. The IRRT Executive Board will then vote to accept, or deny, the recommendation.
● Number of years as an IRRT member
● Number of years of service to IRRT (e.g. serving on a committee, chairing a committee, holding office, etc.)
● Nature of service to IRRT (e.g. serving on a committee, chairing a committee, holding office, special projects, etc.)
● Number of IRRT-sponsored presentations and/or publications
● Demonstrates a commitment to promoting and improving IRRT
● Participates in other internationally-focused professional activities or organizations at the local, regional, national, or international levels (e.g. IFLA)
● Demonstrates a commitment to IRRT’s values in venues outside of IRRT through contributions to international librarianship and support of librarians abroad. (e.g. in one’s job; in service to other round tables, divisions, or professional organizations; other presentations or publications; through volunteer work).
PROCEDURE FOR AWARDING
Following the successful nominating and accepting of a nominee, the nominee will be informed by the IRRT Chair. At the ALA IRRT Annual Reception, the new Notable Member will be recognized by the IRRT Chair, and presented a framed screenshot of their “Notable Member” page on the IRRT website.