The GNCRT Committee Volunteer Form is now OPEN and we are recruiting for the 2020-21 service year.
The Graphic Novels and Comics Round Table has nine committees as well as ad hoc volunteering opportunities related to areas such as ALA Annual, Resource Lists, Conventions, and other special events and projects. Please keep in mind that in order to volunteer for one of the established committees you must be a member of ALA and the GNCRT. The ad-hoc volunteer opportunities are available to members and non-members alike.
With the exceptions of the Scholarship Exploratory Committee and the Best Graphic Novels for Adults Selection Committee, which is a one year appointment, all appointment terms are for two years, starting June 2020 and ending in June 2022.
Ad hoc appointments are just that, committees that are formed as needed for short projects.
Our committees are:
- Awards & Reading Lists Committee - Kristin Anderson and Franco Vitella, co-Chairs
- NEW! Best Graphic Novels for Adults Selection Committee - Jessica Jenner, Chair (volunteer opportunity opens again in SEPTEMBER 2020)
- Communications Committee - Becca Sexton and Christopher Calderon, co-Chairs
- Conference Programming & Planning Committee - Tina Lerno and Kacy Helwick, co-Chairs
- Convention Programming & Planning Committee - Natalie DeJonghe, Chair
- Membership & Outreach Committee - Carla Riemer and Rachel Fryd, co-Chairs
- Metadata & Cataloging Committee - Liz Adams and Lindsay Gibb, co-Chairs
- Resources & Toolkits Committee - Matthew Noe and Chris Arrant, co-Chairs
- Will Eisner Graphic Novel Grants for Libraries Committees - Mariela Siegert, Chair
- WEGNGL - Growth Grant Jury
- WEGNGL - Innovation Grant Jury
Please check out our website and links to find out more about each of these committees and indicate which committees (max of 3) would be your preferred placement.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Attendance: The Conference and Convention Committees benefit most from on-the-ground volunteers. The Conference Committee will need people who can commit to attending the Annual and/or Midwinter ALA Conferences. The Convention Committee will be looking for volunteers who can commit to volunteering for shifts over a period of several days at at least one of the four major conventions held in the U.S.: Emerald City Comic Con (Mar), C2E2 (Mar or Apr), San Diego Comic-Con (July), and New York Comic Con (Oct).
- Time Frame: The Will Eisner Growth and Innovation Grant Committee is an amazing virtual committee to be a part of—but it has a very specific time frame. 90% of the work takes place February through April, from when the submission period closes through the application review process. This year we saw a 50% increase in applicants—which was amazing!—and a strong lift for our Committee. If you are available in February and April, want to learn about grants and the grant application process, and love rubrics, this is the committee for you!
- Deliverables: Both our Awards and Metadata Committees have specific goals. The members of these committees meet virtually on a semi-regular basis. This is a great fit if you are looking for a project based, goal oriented, two year volunteer commitment.
- Ongoing: our Communications, Membership, and Resources/Toolkits Committees support all ongoing missions and endeavors of the GNCRT. These committees are a great fit if you’re not sure what your time commitment month over month looks like, are looking for something visual that you can volunteer for, and want to learn about and help support all areas of graphic novels and comics awesomeness.
Not sure which committee to choose?
Never fear! Leave your preference open and tell us a little bit about yourself and why you are interested in joining the GNCRT, and we will see which Committee might be a good match!
Not sure you have the time?
We’re almost always looking for casual volunteers—people who can lend a few hours to help out at comic conventions, help staff a table during ALA Annual, virtually assist by suggesting titles for a resource list, etc., so no worries! You can throw your hat in the ring to volunteer by filling out our General Volunteer Form and keeping an eye on our social media pages for opportunities to pitch in.
We hope to have all committee appointments for 2019-2021 made by the end of August. If you have questions about the status of your volunteer application please contact us at email@example.com.
We believe that comics—and this RT—are for everyone. Thank you for your interest, your passion, and your commitment to #libcomix.
Are you a publisher that wants to get involved with the GNCRT? Fill out our Collaborator Contact Form and let us know!
Are you a member of the comics press that wants updates on what the GNCRT is working on? Fill out our Press Contact Form and let us know!
Make a Donation
Donating to the Graphic Novels & Comics Round Table helps to support its work to help library staff engage with graphic novels and comics through collection development, community outreach, programming and advocacy.
To make a donation, please visit http://www.ala.org/donate and select GNCRT as the recipient. Thank you for your support!