ALA elections are held in the Spring of each year. Election results are announced in early May. Visit the ALA Election page for more general ALA election information, schedules, and past results.
Why Run for Office?
In the last few decades, support for the GLBT community has risen dramatically. This does not mean that library materials, events, and displays related to sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression are without controversy. These issues can still be some of the most contentious in libraries, causing some librarians to be deterred from including materials or services for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community.
Founded in 1970, GLBTRT is the oldest gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender professional organization in the United States. The GLBTRT needs you to help keep our organization alive and thriving. Please consider running for office so we can stand together. You can help librarians access important resources to address problems they otherwise face alone.
Two Ways to Get on the GLBTRT Ballot
If you would like to run for office, register in the ALA election system. (See Instructions for Candidates below).
If you would like to nominate someone for an office, contact Peter Coyl (firstname.lastname@example.org), past-chair of the GLBTRT. Nominations must be received by the close of Midwinter Meeting. Nominees will be encouraged to run for office and referred to this page.
Open Offices for 2017 Election
To learn about the board, the below roles, visit the board page.
- Chair-Elect (serves a three year cycle as: chair-elect 2017–2018; chair 2018–2019; past-chair 2019–2020)
- Treasurer (two-year term: 2017–2019)
- Directors-at-Large two seats, two-year terms: 2017–2019)
To be eligible to hold an office, the candidate must:
- be a member of ALA and the GLBTRT
- attend meetings at Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- be able to engage in deliberations via email throughout the year
- attend scheduled virtual meetings
- register in the candidate system by the below deadline. (see Instructions for Candidates below).
Instructions for Candidates
- To be on the ballot, candidates must complete the below biographical information by January 26, 2017.
- Candidates must click the SUBMIT button, and then the FINISH button to successfully submit their information.
- Candidates are responsible for editing biographical information and statements. ALA staff will not proofread or edit biographical information.
- To register to be a candidate, go to the ALA Elections page (https://www.directvote.net/alanomination/2017users.html). *Please note: The deadline to submit nominations is Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Click on the “Register” link to fill out the registration information and to set your passcode for the Nominee/Candidate process. Press [enter] to register.
- If you see “follow this link to login,” click on it.
- You will be back on the initial page. Enter your email address and the password that you just created. Click on [sign in].
- Next you indicate that you want to run for a GLBTRT office. At the “Select ballot” pull down, choose “63. GLBTRT” and click on [go].
- Next select the office you wish to run for and then click on [go].
- The first entry, Display Name, is how you would like your name displayed on the ballot. Once you have filled in or edited your name, click on “Next”.
- At the page with all of the question/categories to fill in, you must fill in the required fields (noted by a red asterisk) before you can save your work. Please save your work often by clicking on “Save/Preview.” If you are not finished entering your information, go to the bottom left of the page and click on “previous” so that you can enter more information.
- You will notice the word count monitor. Once you reach the limit, the word count monitor turns RED.
- Once you have reviewed your work, if you would like to make any changes, click the “Previous” button.
- When you are finished, PRINT (from the Save/Preview page) AND RETAIN A COPY OF YOUR COMPLETED FORM FOR YOUR RECORDS AND FUTURE USE.
- Click on the “Submit” button and then the “Finish” button.
- To make additions or corrections, go back to the initial ALA Election page and login again.