Displaying active committee roster as of 07/19/2018. Last retrieved on 07/19/2018. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
For more information:
- Questions may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suggestions should be shared on the OTR Suggestion Form: http://www.glbtrt.ala.org/overtherainbow/suggestions
The Over the Rainbow Book List Committee (OTR) consists of six to ten members (called jurors) and is led by a chair. The committee will have a liaison from the GLBTRT Board and an ALA Staff Liaison.
OTR Jurors and Chair
Eligibility and Recommendations for Consideration
Announcement of Selections
Requirements and Duties of OTR Jurors
- Select books that exhibit commendable literary quality and significant, authentic GLBTQ content for adults age 18 and over.
- Actively seek and recommend books for consideration.
- Keep abreast of current GLBTQ publishing and notify the Committee of eligible candidates.
- Read and critically evaluate as many current literature and nonfiction GLBTQ books as possible.
- Participate actively in Committee discussions of books both recommended for consideration and those eligible for consideration.
- Submit recommendations of GLBTQ books throughout the year for the OTR list.
- Work collaboratively to acquire and relay to the Committee book reviews and other information pertinent to eligible books.
- Follow the rules and procedures of the OTR Project Committee and meet the deadlines established by the chair.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the chair.
- Not be a member of another media selection or award committee during their term on OTR.
- Jurors completing terms on OTR are strongly encouraged to participate on other committees within the GLBTRT.
Requirements and Duties of the Chair
- Offer the GLBTRT Chair-elect/Chair recommendations for committee members who will maintain a balance of geographical regions of the United States, racial and ethnic groups, and types of libraries. Every effort will be made to maintain gender parity.
- Keep abreast of the publication of eligible books and compile lists of eligible books.
- Ensure that small and academic presses are given the same consideration as large trade and mass-market press publications.
- Ensure that the Committee complies with American Library Association and GLBTRT policies and procedures, as well as its own.
- Set and meet deadlines agreed upon by the Committee, the GLBTRT, and the American Library Association.
- Pursue and advocate for adequate funding for the OTR Project with the GLBTRT and the American Library Association.
- Report on the Committee’s work to the GLBTRT Board and its general membership via appropriate Round Table discussion lists and newsletters, and at American Library Association conferences/meetings.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the Committee and the GLBTRT.
- 2014 July Amendments PDF 501kb -- Amendments to further align procedures with the GLBTRT Bylaws, the GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document and a board vote about the use of the word nomination at the March 2014 board meeting.
- 2012 July amendments to procedures PDF: 368kb -- Alignment of procedures with the GLBTRT Bylaws and the GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document.
The Over the Rainbow Book List is an expansion of the highly successful Rainbow Book List. Over the Rainbow Book List is created by a committee of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT) of the American Library Association (ALA).
The project was proposed in February 2010 and was formally charged as a GLBTRT ad hoc committee by the GLBTRT Steering Committee in April 2010. The round table Steering Committee received the below project proposal documents. The committee's progress was evaluated by the round table Steering Committee at the ALA 2011 Annual Conference. The Over the Rainbow Book List Committee was formally voted in as a standing round table committee at the GLBTRT Membership Meeting, 2011 ALA Annual Conference.
GLBTRT Membership Meeting Documents, 2011 ALA Annual Conference:
Project Proposal Documents:
- Over the Rainbow Project Proposal [pdf: 24.0 kb]
- Over the Rainbow Project Proposed Policies [pdf: 36.0 kb]
Ad hoc Committee Reports: