Current Preservation Efforts
- Here is a thought-provoking article on their efforts, and why they're so important.
Library of Congress - A synopsis of their efforts can be found here: http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2012/09/yes-the-library-of-congress-has-video-games-an-interview-with-david-gibson/
- LC has also found some interesting materials - http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2014/08/dukes-legacy-video-game-source-disc-preservation-at-the-library-of-congress/
Preserving Virtual Worlds - a collaborative effort
Issues facing the preservation of video games:
- Copyright and Access - Is it possible to make older games available while satisfying the rights of copyright holders?
- Hardware requirements - Games are often designed to work with specific consoles. Maintaining those consoles in the face of age is increasingly difficult.
- Servers - Online games require access to and maintenance of servers. When those servers go down, the game is no longer accessible.
- DLC and patches - Video games are now very much a work in constant progress. New content is added, content is removed at times, and
- Disc and bit rot - Data degrades over time. How can its integrity be safely preserved?