Board Meeting Agenda
4 March 2015
- Amanda J. Wilson, Department of Transportation (President)
- Virginia Sanchez, Yosemite Library (Past President)
- Steve Pomes, Department of the Interior (Vice President)
- Kathleen Hanselmann, Defense Language Institute (Secretary)
- Bianna Ine-Ryan, Defense Intelligence Agency (Armed Forces Director)
- Theresa Taylor, Combined Arms Research Library (Armed Forces Director)
- Kimberly Megginson (Rome Labs) Archivist
- Call to order
- Approval of minutes.
February minutes approved
- Officer Reports
Kimberly Megginson, FAFLRT Archivist, joined the call. There was a brief discussion about what, in addition to minutes, should be sent to the archive. Kimberly will talk with former FAFLRT Archivist Lucille and Kimberly will look around at other groups to see the kinds of documents they are including. Kimberly stated that there are virtually no limits on the type of documents we can include. She will try to upload everything that is sent to her. Some suggested items are old brochures, issues of the newsletter, and listing and citations for awards.
The direct link to FAFLRT archives: https://alair.ala.org/handle/11213/36
Or, go to https://alair.ala.org/ >> Select ROUND TABLES under COMMUNITIES >> Scroll down to FAFLRT
No login is required to access the repository.
- Committee and Liason Reports
- Awards (Marla)
We will only be asking for nominations for the three non-scholarship awards since we don’t have funding for either of the two scholarships (Federal Librarians Cicely Phippen Marks Scholarship or Federal Librarians Adelaide Del Frate Conference Sponsorship Award.)
FAFLRT Rising Star – Rising Stars are those people who display a passion for the profession, both at work and via volunteer or association activities. The basic guidelines are outlined below.
- FAFLRT member in good standing
- Work in a federal or armed forces library or government information management setting
- New to the profession
- Graduated from an MLS/MLIS program five years ago or less AND/OR
- Been a professional librarian or information manager for five years or less
FAFLRT Achievement Award – The FAFLRT Distinguished Service Award recognizes a FAFLRT member for outstanding and sustained contributions to FAFLRT.
FAFLRT Distinguished Service Award – The FAFLRT Achievement Award recognize an individual for achievement in the promotion of library and information service and the information profession in the Federal community. Those nominated need not be members of FAFLRT but only FAFLRT members can make nominations. Donated and administered by the Federal and Armed Forces Libraries Round Stable (FAFLRT).
Bianna, Katie and Amanda will start sending out requests for nominations shortly. Marla encourages the Board to think about nominations, especially for the FAFLRT Achievement Award.
- Legislation Assembly (Donna, Jennifer)
Donna Ramsey (US Army is our primary Legislation Assembly representative. Jennifer Manning is our secondary representative to this committee.
- GODORT Liaison (Tatiana)
Tatianna now GODORT member and has been connected with GODORT leadership to begin her work as liaison.
- Programming (Amanda, Anne)
- Co-sponsor Session Veteran’s Services at ALA Annual
Co-sponsoring approved. Virginia willing to work with the committee on this program. Amanda to connect Virginia and Jennifer to promote job opportunities
- Update -- March 21 Job Search Workshop
March 21 Job Search Workshop FAFLRT is co-sponsoring with SLA MD is full for in-person attendees.
- Annual Conference programs
Nancy Faget (Careers in Federal Libraries) has asked about schedule for FAFLRT programs so that she can schedule her events around FAFLRT’s. Amanda will follow up with Nancy on times for FAFLRT events.
- Co-sponsorship of LOC forum on public access
Richard asked that we not consider this since he is no longer putting on this program.
- Special Committee Reports
Social Media: Virginia is going to send out a call for volunteers to support social media efforts and join the committee.
- Unfinished business
a. The FAFLRT Emerging Leaders proposal submitted this year was not accepted. Some discussion around why this was. Bianna explained that not enough Emerging Leaders selected the topic to form a group. Next steps?(All)
b. Promotional and membership brochures ..Done?(Anne)
Should announcement about the new brochures be made? Are they ready for printing.
c. Air Force Libraries Resolution follow-up (Amanda)
Amanda to resend the message to change the subject line to clarify that support is needed for all libraries. If no response from the membership, then the extension of actions will be ALA education of legislators as a response to the resolution.
- New Business
- Vicky has been appointed Chair of the ALA Policy Monitoring Committee. http://www.ala.org/groups/committees/ala/ala-polonit
- Kathleen moving to the Azores to run Lajes Air Force Base Library for a few years.
- Bianna is moving to Molesworth, England for Africom command.
- Next Meeting: 1 April 2015, 3p EDT
Respectfully submitted by: