The deadline for 2005 nominations is December 31, 2004.
It's never too early for next year! Nominations are being sought for the next GALE/EMIERT Multicultural Award.
To print out a copy of the nomination form, please click here.
The GALE/EMIERT Multicultural Award
Standards for this award are any significant accomplishments in library services that are national or international in scope and that include improving, spreading, and promoting multicultural librarianship. The winner of this award will receive $1,000.
- Persons in the library world are eligible to be considered for the award based on outstanding achievement and leadership in serving the community by significant collection building and outreach services, and developing creative multicultural materials and programs. Emphasis here is multicultural/multiethnic as distinguished from multilingual (cf. The Leonard Wertheimer Award).
- There will be an annual award. If no suitable candidate is judged to merit the award in a given year, the award will not be presented. If two candidates are considered very close in their qualifications, the award will be split between the two.
- The Executive Board of EMIERT (Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table) will select a committee of five to administer the award. The chair of the Round Table will be an ex-officio member.
- The deadline for nominations will vary depending upon the ALA Midwinter Meeting's dates. Decision about the award will be made at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Publicity will be released announcing the results and the date for the award ceremony, to be held at the ALA Annual Conference.
- Screening of candidates will be based on submitted application forms that contain a detailed curriculum vitae with specific information and evidence of the candidate's outstanding achievement and leadership. The documentation for each nominee will be sent to the Awards Committee members who will rate the nominations. A formal ballot will be taken at the ALA Midwinter Meeting and the results tabulated to pick a winner.
- At the ALA Annual Conference, the award ceremony will take place at the scheduled membership meeting of EMIERT. The award, a citation on parchment and a check for $1,000 from the representative of the Gale Research Company, will be presented at that time.
- The Gale Research Company has agreed to co-sponsor the award with a contribution of $1,000, with an allowance for expenses.
For nomination forms and other information, contact:
Francesca Hary, Awards Committee Chair
Milton - Union Public Library
560 South Main Street
West Milton, OH 45383
This page last updated 12 October 2004