We the People Bookshelf
Image courtesy of Julie Paschkis
NEH, ALA announce We the People Bookshelf awards to 4,000 libraries
The American Library Association (ALA) Public Programs Office and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) selected 4,000 school and public libraries throughout the country to receive the seventh We the People Bookshelf. Libraries from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and several U.S. territories will receive the collection of 17 books for young readers on the theme “A More Perfect Union.” A full list of Bookshelf titles and recipients is available at http://publicprograms.ala.org/bookshelf.
Final reports for the We the People "A More Perfect Union" Bookshelf recipients are due May 31, 2011.
In addition to the set of 17 books for young readers, the selected libraries will also receive bonus materials to support library programs, including a DVD edition of “The Civil War,”the award-winning documentary by Ken Burns and posters, bookmarks and bookplates to assist in the promotion of the We the People Bookshelf. Some 1,000 of the selected libraries will also receive three of the Bookshelf titles in Spanish translation.
The Bookshelf grants are part of the NEH’s We the People program, which aims to encourage and strengthen the teaching, study and understanding of American history and culture through libraries, schools, colleges, universities and cultural institutions. Since 2003, NEH and ALA have distributed 17,000 We the People Bookshelves to public and school libraries.
Questions may be directed to the ALA Public Programs Office, firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.545.2433 x5045.
This page brought to you by the American Library Association’s Public Programs Office.
- NEH, ALA announce 7th annual “We the People” Bookshelf grant opportunity (9/8/09)
- NEH, ALA announce We the People Bookshelf awards for 3,000 libraries (1/?/09)
- NEH, ALA announce 6th annual “We the People” Bookshelf grant opportunity (9/2/08)
- NEH, ALA announce We the People Bookshelf awards for 3,000 libraries (4/7/08)
- NEH, PPO announce 3,000 “We the People” Bookshelf grants on “Created Equal” (9/11/07)
- ALA and NEH announce We The People “Pursuit of Happiness” Bookshelf awards to 2,000 libraries (5/25/07)
- NEH, ALA Public Programs Office announce 2,000 new We the People Bookshelf grants on the “Pursuit of Happiness” (9/19/06)
- Application deadline extended for We The People Bookshelf grants on “Becoming American” (1/17/06)