The final round of Picturing America grant applications closed in November 2008. Applications are no longer being accepted.
Conducted in cooperation with the ALA Public Programs Office, “Picturing America” was an initiative of the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), designed to bring masterpieces of American art into classrooms and libraries nationwide. Through this innovative program, students and citizens gained a deeper appreciation of our country's history and character through the study and understanding of its art. “Picturing America” provided public libraries and schools (K–12, public, private, parochial, charter, and home school consortia) with a collection of 20 double-sided, laminated posters (measuring 24" x 36" each) depicting works of American art, related reading lists, and a 100-page resource booklet with information about the paintings, sculpture, architecture, and crafts reproduced.
In May 2007, the Picturing America pilot program awardees were announced . More than 1,500 schools received the collection for the January 2008 program launch.
In May 2008, 26,300 schools and public libraries were selected to receive the first round of the award , which shipped in September 2008.
In January 2009, 29,086 schools and public libraries were selected to receive the second round of the award, which shipped in April and May 2009.
Find out more about “Picturing America,” including the artwork featured.
This page brought to you by the American Library Association’s Public Programs Office.
- NEH, ALA announce 30 libraries to receive $2,000 programming grants (6/8/10)
- Extended deadline: apply by April 26 to receive $2,000 Picturing America programming grant (3/16/10)
- New grant opportunity from NEH, ALA Public Programs Office supports Picturing America programs in public libraries (1/19/10)
- NEH, ALA announce Picturing America awards to more than 29,000 schools and public libraries (1/20/09)
- NEH, ALA announce second Picturing America application period (8/5/08)
- NEH, ALA Public Programs Office announce “Picturing America” Pilot Project Grant Recipients. More than 1,500 schools selected to receive American art resource collection (6/13/07)