The Sixties: America's Decade of Crisis & Change
The Sixties: America's Decade of Crisis & Change was a film viewing and discussion series offered by National Video Resources, in cooperation with the American Library Association, and with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
The series offered libraries a curated series of six programs of outstanding documentary films and suggested readings through which to explore the dramatic political and social history of the United States in the 1960s. The series explored the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War and its effect on the homefront, the counterculture, and rage and reaction in 1968.
Twenty-five libraries participated in The Sixties pilot project beginning in January 2004. The participating libraries hosted programs featuring screenings of award-winning documentary films, supported by scholar-led discussion and extensive suggested reading lists. These libraries were (in alphabetical order by state):
- Birmingham Public Library, Birmingham, Ala.
- Copper Queen Library, Bisbee, Ariz.
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland, Calif.
- Wallingford Public Library, Wallingford, Conn.
- Broward County Library, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
- Athens-Clarke County Library, Athens, Ga.
- Bloomington Public Library, Bloomington, Ill.
- Johnson County Library, Overland, Kan.
- Bowling Green Public Library, Bowling Green, Ky.
- Hingham Public Library, Hingham, Mass.
- Rochester Hills Public Library, Rochester, Mich.
- Brandon Public Library, Brandon, Miss.
- Missouri River Regional Library, Jefferson City, Mo.
- New Hanover County Public Library, Wilmington, N.C.
- Ocean County Library, Toms River, N.J.
- Guilderland Public Library, Guilderland, N.Y.
- Kent State University, Paul Blair Memorial Library, East Liverpool, Ohio
- Crook County Library, Prineville, Ore.
- Providence Public Library, Providence, R.I.
- Tennessee Tech University, Volpe Library and Media Center, Cookeville, Tenn.
- Chesterfield Public Library, Chesterfield, Va.
- Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library, Christiansburg, Va.
- Waukesha Public Library, Waukesha, Wis.
- Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wis.
- White Mountain Library, Rock Springs, Wyo.