Exhibit Shipping and Receiving
Lincoln: The Constitution and the Civil War
Site Support Notebook
The shipper for “Lincoln: The Constitution and the Civil War” is VIP Transport East, a Fine Arts Transportation Agent for Mayflower Transit. All shipping costs will be billed to and paid by the ALA Public Programs Office.
Important exhibit display information: The first day of your exhibit display period is a Wednesday. This is the last day for the shipper to deliver the exhibit to you. Please do not plan programs on Wednesday. You can schedule programs for Thursday evening, but please do not plan programs early on Thursday in case of delivery problems (they are rare, but do happen). Friday openings and programs are the best, but you may open the exhibit whenever it suits your local schedule. This exhibit will take 2–3 people approximately 3 hours to unpack and set up.
The last date in your exhibition period is a Friday, which should be the closing date for the exhibition (you may close the exhibit earlier if you wish). Because there is limited time available to get the exhibition from one site to another, libraries should have the exhibition dismantled and ready for pick-up on the Monday after the exhibition closes. This does not mean the shipper will always pick up the exhibit on Monday, but the exhibit should be ready to go on Monday morning.
Because of varied delivery and pick-up dates, please be sure that your additional exhibit insurance coverage starts a week before the start of your display period and extends to a week after the last day of your display period.
Host libraries are requested to proceed as follows:
- VIP Transport/Mayflower will contact libraries to arrange convenient delivery and pick-up times. Please arrange for delivery and pick-up during business hours (9-5 your time). If you have not heard from VIP by at least 48 hours before the exhibit should be delivered, please call VIP at the following number(s) between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday to confirm delivery arrangements:
1-800-998-4847 ext. 202 (Mayda Brann) or 1-800-261-6088, ext. 209 (Ed Noonan) . If you have not heard from VIP by 24 hours before the exhibit closes, call the above number(s) again to confirm pick-up. If you still need help, call the ALA Public Programs Office (see below).
For delivery and pick-up, give VIP the following information:
- Name and telephone number of a contact person.
- Address where exhibition should be delivered or picked up and actual place of delivery or pick-up at that address, such as back or front of building, etc.
- Opening and closing times of building if relevant.
- Special conditions that apply, e.g., parking restrictions, no loading dock, ramp access, use of back door only, limited tractor-trailer access, stairs, etc.
The ALA contact person for inquiries about shipping:
ALA Public Programs
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5289, or 312-280-5289, fax: 312/280-5759