Public Libraries Feature Article Contest
Congratulations to our recipients for articles published in 2011! The prizes will be awarded at the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, Calif.
- Valerie Gross, CEO, Howard County (Md.) Library, is first place winner ($500 prize). Her article, “Choose Civility – Public Libraries Take Center Stage,” which appeared in the July/August 2011 issue of Public Libraries, details how the Howard County Library conceived and developed “Choose Civility,” an ongoing community-wide initiative that aims to enhance respect, empathy, consideration and tolerance in Howard County.
- Kenneth Williment, community development manager, Nova Scotia Public Libraries, Halifax, Nova Scotia, received an honorable mention and a $300 prize for two articles in the March/April 2011 issue, “It Takes a Community to Create a Library” and “From Project to Branch Integration and Sustainability.” Co-writers were Tracy Jones-Grant, literacy, ESL, and diversity services manager, Halifax (N.S.) Public Libraries and Denise Somers, manager, Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.) Public Library and Sheet Harbor (N.S.) Public Library.
Feature articles submitted or published in 2012 will be eligible to compete for two cash prizes. The winner of the feature article contest will receive $500; honorable mention receives $300.
Criteria for eligibility are:
- Author(s) must be a public library employee(s) at the time the manuscript is submitted.
- Articles must have been submitted or published in 2012.
- Articles must be feature length. Verso and Perspectives contributions will not be considered.
The articles will be evaluated and winners will be choosen by members of the Public Libraries Advisory Subcommittee. Manuscripts and supplemental materials must be submitted through the online Public Libraries Editorial Manager.
Questions? Please contact Kathleen Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org.