As part of PLA’s commitment to working toward making its educational events accessible to all, this webinar offers practical recommendations for creating accessible presentations for the PLA 2018 Conference and beyond. Learn how to design presentation materials that are accessible and to deliver educational content, including facilitating discussion, in a way that reaches all audience members. This webinar includes specific advice on slide structure, font choices, and file formats, and provides examples of the accessibility features of popular presentation software options.
Originally presented January 30, 2018.
At the conclusion of this on-demand webinar, participants will:
- Recognize ways to address a variety of audience needs in the design and delivery of presentations;
- Gain specific advice and steps for designing presentation materials that are accessible to all audience members; and
- Identify accessibility best practices for delivering presentations and facilitating discussion.
- Slideshow (shared via Google Docs)
- Slideshow (PDF, 22 pgs.)
- PDF Accessibility Resources:
- Adobe’s Guide to Creating Accessible PDFs
- Adobe’s Create & Verify PDF Accessibility (Acrobat Pro) Guide
- WebAIM’s Guide to PDF Accessibility
- LPC’s Creating Accessible PDFs webinar (by Carli Spina)
- Useful Tools and Resources:
Who Should Attend
This on-demand webinar is open to everyone interested in developing and delivering presentations that are accessible to all.
Carli Spina is the head librarian, assessment and outreach at the Boston College Libraries. She holds a J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School, an MLIS from Simmons GSLIS, and an M.Ed. from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. She has extensive experience working, writing, and presenting on topics related to accessibility and Universal Design and has served as a coordinator for services to patrons with disabilities. She was the inaugural chair of LITA’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and has also served as the leader of the ASCLA Library Services to People with Visual or Physical Disabilities that Prevent Them from Reading Standard Print Interest Group. She regularly teaches courses, workshops, and webinars on topics related to accessibility, Universal Design, and technology. You can contact her on Twitter where she is @CarliSpina.
This on-demand webinar is free and available 24/7 for your viewing convenience.
How to Register
No registration is required.
To playback this archived webinar you should have either the latest version of Flash running on your computer, or use a browser with native HTML5 support. Please use the most up-to-date version available of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer. A fast Internet connection and computer is recommended.
Credits or CEUs
PLA does not award credit hours, or CEUs, for its on-demand webinars and cannot verify participation.