Due to technical difficulties it's necessary for this archived webinar to be posted in two parts.
For public library staff, dealing with the media can sometimes be rewarding, sometimes frustrating, sometimes exciting, sometimes daunting… but always necessary. This on-demand webinar covers the fundamentals of media planning and outreach—including social media—to prepare you to work with the media and generate attention that will support your library’s activities and advocacy efforts.
This webinar was an extension of the free PLA advocacy training program, Turning the Page 2.0.
Originally presented May 31, 2012.
At the conclusion of this on-demand webinar, participants will be able to:
- State the importance of media outreach in relationship to advocacy;
- Identify the difference between “traditional media” and “social media”;
- List the six key steps involved in traditional media outreach;
- Identify at least four key concepts to remember when they speak to (“pitch”) the media about their library; and
- Recognize at least three keys to success to preparing and delivering a media interview.
Who Should Attend
- Public librarians new to working with the media or those who would like a refresher
- Public librarians who participated in Turning the Page 2.0, PLA’s free advocacy training program
Steve Yacovelli, EdD, owner and principal of TopDog Learning Group LLC, Orlando, Fla., has over twenty years experience in learning and development, including over fourteen-years experience in e-learning management. He has worked with international corporations, national nonprofits, and academic institutions.
He is currently a facilitator for Turning the Page 2.0, PLA’s free advocacy training program and was also a facilitator during the original version of the Turning the Page program.
He first taught this webinar’s content to representatives from libraries in ten different countries around the world as part of The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Global Libraries Initiative.
This on-demand webinar is free and available 24/7 for your viewing convenience.
How to Register
No registration is required.
To playback this archived webinar you should have either the latest version of Flash running on your computer, or use a browser with native HTML5 support. Please use the most up-to-date version available of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, or Internet Explorer. A fast Internet connection and computer is recommended.
Credits or CEUs
PLA does not award credit hours, or CEUs, for its on-demand webinars and cannot verify participation.
If you have questions or problems accessing a recording, send a message to email@example.com or call 800-545-2433 ext. 5PLA (5752).