Presented by the Public Library Association. To submit a nomination for this award, please visit the PLA Awards Online Application.
The PLA John Iliff Award, sponsored by Innovative, (formerly the Polaris Innovation in Technology John Iliff Award) honors the life and accomplishments of John Iliff, early adopter and champion of technology in public libraries, and recognizes the contributions of a library worker, librarian, or library that has used technology and innovative thinking as a tool to improve services to public library users. The purpose is to encourage innovative user-oriented thinking and practical solutions using technologies old and new. The award provides a $1,000 honorarium, a plaque, and a bouquet of roses for the workplace. The cash award honors the recipient's efforts, while the roses sent to the work place honor the environment that helped nurture the recipient's innovation.
This award will be presented to a library worker, librarian, or library that has used technology and innovative thinking to improve library services.
Members of the current John Iliff Award Jury are ineligible to receive the award.
Chief Librarian & CEO
Milton (ON, Canada) Public Library
- 2018 District of Columbia Public Library
- 2017 Charles Pace, Gwinnett County (GA) Public Library
- 2016 Colin Tomele, Cleveland Heights-University Heights (OH) Public Library
- 2015 Oli Sanidas, Arapahoe (CO) Library District
- 2014 Edmonton Public Library, AB, Canada
- 2013 Teresa Kiser, Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County (AL)
- 2012 Joan K. Weaver, Kinsley (KS) Public Library
- 2011 David Newyear, Mentor (OH) Public Library
- 2010 Ellen Schmid, Geneva (IL) Public Library
- 2009 Gail Borden Public Library, Elgin, IL
- 2008 Durham County Library, NC
How to Nominate
To submit a nomination for this award, please visit the PLA Awards Online Application.
PLA will forward the nominations to the current chair of the John Iliff Award Jury. PLA reserves the right to extend the application deadline.