Committee Description & Charge
What We’re Working On
The immediate work of this committee is to develop a process to keep the website updated so that PLA members use us as their first choice for library information. This includes reviewing and revising the committee’s charge; creating a process for refreshing the website’s content; updating the PLA Professional Tools; and creating an annual plan to increase website traffic and usage.
Now Seeking Volunteers
We're looking for individuals who are interested in curating PLA's website content. Serving on this committee helps ensure that our content is relevant and timely. If you are interested in giving user-based input and want to increase your knowledge of what's going in the library world, this is the committee for you.
Most of the committee’s work and discussion is done via e-mail and ALA Connect. We estimate 4 to 6 hours a month for the process decisions. Updating content varies depending on the section size—although most sections can be updated in an hour or two with written guidelines and procedures in place.
The group will work with PLA staff and committees to ensure that content on the PLA website is responsive to the needs of public librarians and addresses priorities set forth in the PLA Strategic Plan. The committee will be charged to:
- monitor the PLA website on an ongoing basis to ensure that the content is timely, accurate, relevant, and complete;
- solicit new content from PLA units, members, and staff, and work collaboratively with PLA staff, who will update the website according to an agreed upon timetable and deadlines;
- create and implement an annual plan of activities with a timetable that will result in an increase in member use of and the continued improvement and timeliness of the website and other related PLA and ALA electronic communications tools, products, and services;
- support PLA members in their efforts to use ALA Connect;
- recommend strategies, policies, guidelines, and procedures to the PLA Board for the website and for the effective use of new technology tools; and
- advocate for accessibility in the development and use of technology tools so that members of all abilities may use them.
The Web Content Working Group chair will serve as the PLA representative to the ALA Website Advisory Committee (WAC), communicating Board recommendations for improvements to the ALA website and advising the Board on activities of the WAC.
Displaying active committee roster as of 09/24/2018. Last retrieved on 09/24/2018. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The Web Content Working Group consists of a minimum of four members, up to 10 members, appointed from the membership at large and led by a chair.
Created by the Board of Directors at its meeting at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.