Charge and Work
To advise PLA on creating successful membership recruitment and retention practices. This advisory group operates to: Provide member perspective to PLA; Offer input to help PLA connect with and impact membership; Help prioritize member messaging; Review member communications for relevance and persuasiveness; Identify opportunities for enhancement of member benefits.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Review PLA membership statistics and trends
- Provide feedback and advice on PLA member engagement activities and communications
- Engage new members by welcoming them to PLA via email and attending PLA-sponsored conference events (PLA Happy Hour at ALA Midwinter Meeting, PLA Member Breakfast at ALA Annual Conference, PLA Conference, etc.)
- Increase the number of renewed members by making members feel welcome and offering advice on how PLA can better serve its membership
- Increase the number of opportunities for members to engage and get involved with PLA
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (4 hours/year plus travel time)
- Attend virtual meetings (2–4 hours/year)
- Review and respond to emails and ALA Connect messages (2–3 hours/year)
- Send PLA member welcome emails (3–5 hours/year)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Experience in community engagement
- Familiarity with PLA and ALA membership structure
- Familiarity with PLA’s branding, messaging and strategic plan
- Ability to be “welcome wagon” for PLA members
- Ability to answer member-related questions
Displaying active committee roster as of 09/20/2019. Last retrieved on 09/20/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Appointed by the President, 1 chair and up to 10 members (minimum 1 chair and 4 members). Electronic members are welcome.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.