Charge and Work
To advise PLA on the identification, development and evaluation of relevant, cost-effective, and emerging face-to-face and online continuing education products and services.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Review all proposals received in PLA’s biannual (twice per year) call for webinars
- Identify key trends, issues, and challenges currently facing public libraries and ensure they are represented in PLA webinars and other educational programming
- Increase equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice by helping PLA identify educational programming that represents diverse groups and points of view
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (8 hours/year plus travel time)
- Review PLA webinar proposals (2–3 hours/year)
- Attend virtual meetings (2–3 hours/year)
- Review and respond to emails and ALA Connect messages (2–3 hours/year)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Ability to represent and advocate for current professional development needs in the public library field
- Familiarity with current issues and challenges facing public libraries
- Expertise in one or more core areas of library services (e.g. Serving Adults, Serving Youth, Tech Services, Leadership, Technology, etc.)
Displaying active committee roster as of 09/20/2019. Last retrieved on 09/20/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Appointed by the President, 1 chair and up to 10 members (minimum 1 chair and 4 members). Electronic members are welcome.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.