Charge and Work
To work with the national conference committee and PLA staff to develop the programming for the national conference; to identify and develop program topics for the conference and pre- and post-conferences; to stimulate program development and implementation among members and membership units; to review and approve individual programs and program scheduling; to approve presenters and coordinators of individual programs; to recommend to the PLA board of directors for their approval pre- and post-conferences; to coordinate schedule and program with PLA staff; to act as liaisons to program organizers to facilitate high quality presentations.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Review all proposals for educational programming at PLA Conference (each reviewer will typically be assigned 100–150 proposals to review)
- Identify key trends, issues, and challenges currently facing public libraries and ensure they are represented in educational programming at PLA Conference
- Increase equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice at PLA Conference by selecting educational programming that represents diverse groups and points of view
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (8 hours/year plus travel time), plus one full-day meeting at the 2019 Annual Conference (6 hours plus travel time)
- Review PLA Conference proposals (10–20 hours, from late April to early June 2019)
- Attend virtual meetings (3–5 hours/year)
- Review and respond to emails and ALA Connect messages (5–10 hours hours/year)
- Attend orientation and provide assistance on-site at PLA Conference (3–5 hours plus travel time)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Familiarity with current issues and challenges facing public libraries
- Expertise in one or more core areas of library services (e.g. Serving Adults, Serving Youth, Tech Services, Leadership, Technology, etc.)
- Ability to represent and advocate for current professional development needs in the public library field
Displaying active committee roster as of 03/19/2019. Last retrieved on 03/19/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
All PLA Committees are formed by action of the PLA Board of Directors, which is elected by PLA Members. In 2008, PLA's committees were restructured by a vote of the membership.
The PLA 2020 Conference Program Subcommittee consists of members appointed from the membership at large serving 2 year terms and led by a chair.
Established at the request of the PLA Board.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Stay connected with fellow PLA members in the PLA Member Community on ALA Connect. PLA personal membership is required to participate.